OVH Community, your new community space.

Backup server

dragon2611
28-08-2008, 20:54
Quote Originally Posted by Andy
I would expect a lot of people do this. But, you must remember that the 250GB Backup space is only accessible through your Kimsufi. I expect an SSL Tunnel on the Kimsufi will allow outside access though

The Kimsufi's are highly reliable and even the CPU and RAM is sufficient for most people's needs. I say give it a go, even if its just for 1 month. £23.50 won't break the bank!
I may well decide to do that, I know about the FTP only being accessible from the server listed it as a benefit simply becuase then Id have a backup Of the backup.

I'm sure the CPU/Ram aren't bad for most peoples needs but I already have a machine in the Uk that's my primary and since Its my own hardware I'm not liable to be moving everything off it anytime soon.

But contingency planning is of course vital.

Andy
28-08-2008, 15:10
Quote Originally Posted by dragon2611
Anyone use Kimsurfi based servers for backups.

The 250gb hdd + 250gb FTP space even on the cheapest option does make this an attactive prospect providing they are reliable enough.

I currently backup to a US based backup host but they've gone downhill a bit lately,

The CPU speed/ram shouldn't be to important the main thing I was thinking of using it for is backup storage and Secondary DNS for my UK co-lo'd server.

The only time i'd really be interested on hosting sites off it is if my UK server suffered a failure and was liable to have extended downtime.
I would expect a lot of people do this. But, you must remember that the 250GB Backup space is only accessible through your Kimsufi. I expect an SSL Tunnel on the Kimsufi will allow outside access though

The Kimsufi's are highly reliable and even the CPU and RAM is sufficient for most people's needs. I say give it a go, even if its just for 1 month. £23.50 won't break the bank!

dragon2611
27-08-2008, 22:11
Anyone use Kimsurfi based servers for backups.

The 250gb hdd + 250gb FTP space even on the cheapest option does make this an attactive prospect providing they are reliable enough.

I currently backup to a US based backup host but they've gone downhill a bit lately,

The CPU speed/ram shouldn't be to important the main thing I was thinking of using it for is backup storage and Secondary DNS for my UK co-lo'd server.

The only time i'd really be interested on hosting sites off it is if my UK server suffered a failure and was liable to have extended downtime.