OVH Community, your new community space.

Kimsufi Range

LinuxGam
01-09-2013, 17:01
Quote Originally Posted by Tz-OVH
We're forgetting that the estimate we have on the hardware procured by OVH is using either wholesale/bulk/retail prices. For all we know, they could be getting superb deals on the hardware (bringing their total cost down significantly) - which is why you see recycled cpus from older (but higher spec) machines filtering down and the new range using slightly older architecture (Sandy Bridge, etc).

There's got to be either a strategy here (i.e. lets get more customers taking a small hit in profits) or they're turning a smaller per unit profit, but are still making money.
Their low end stuff is way more recent. If you compare the CPU power and 'Leccy cost, then its better to Have 2 x mSP than even a low end HG. However, a lot of people just buy what they think they need.

I really think this is what their business plan is. However, their network seems to be excellent! Being as I don't want someone to tell me how to use SCP etc then it may well be a perfect company for me

Andy
01-09-2013, 16:35
Yeah OVH re-use old hardware quite often rather than disposing of it. They probably even stockpile old higher spec servers until a time comes around that they're considered low spec and re-sell them again

Tz-OVH
01-09-2013, 11:30
We're forgetting that the estimate we have on the hardware procured by OVH is using either wholesale/bulk/retail prices. For all we know, they could be getting superb deals on the hardware (bringing their total cost down significantly) - which is why you see recycled cpus from older (but higher spec) machines filtering down and the new range using slightly older architecture (Sandy Bridge, etc).

There's got to be either a strategy here (i.e. lets get more customers taking a small hit in profits) or they're turning a smaller per unit profit, but are still making money.

DigitalDaz
01-09-2013, 00:02
Quote Originally Posted by Jasgriff
I was looking at it today and surely you would need the professional license and some extra ip's to get some proper use out of it. That's closer to £60 a month in total.

I am sure they are taking advantage of the cheapest electricity in Europe too
Agreed but I think I'd still rather have two mSP than the basic EG now.

Jasgriff
31-08-2013, 23:18
Quote Originally Posted by DigitalDaz
Don't you guys think the mSP is too cheap? I don't mean too cheap for us to snap up, I mean too cheap for OVH to continue with.
I was looking at it today and surely you would need the professional license and some extra ip's to get some proper use out of it. That's closer to £60 a month in total.

I am sure they are taking advantage of the cheapest electricity in Europe too

Andy
31-08-2013, 22:50
Sure but that's OVHs problem not ours

DigitalDaz
31-08-2013, 22:48
Don't you guys think the mSP is too cheap? I don't mean too cheap for us to snap up, I mean too cheap for OVH to continue with.

LinuxGam
31-08-2013, 18:14
Quote Originally Posted by Andy
I'd love to see them try something. It's not traceable to me lol.
It is totally traceable, but not worth a law suit for one serial code, to get an international search warrant.

Andy
31-08-2013, 17:22
I'd love to see them try something. It's not traceable to me lol.

LinuxGam
31-08-2013, 17:18
OVH and MS probably don't care I've used it for years without a problem. And if it were a problem then it's OVH's issue.
It's actually your issue. If you store drugs in a rented flat , its not the landlords issue. However, I am from your camp.. M$ take the piss

Andy
31-08-2013, 16:37
OVH and MS probably don't care I've used it for years without a problem. And if it were a problem then it's OVH's issue.

rickyday
31-08-2013, 16:11
I use an SPLA license so it costs me nothing for the Windows licenses anyway A friend of mine has some unused from some jobs he's done in the past so he donated them to the site

Plus getting one mSP and 3 K2G's would only come to 5.5TB of space We need space to expand. In the last month alone we have had 200GB added to the archive.
All those 8.1 and Server 2012 R2 previews? (oh and not forgetting the leaked RTMs)

Always check the EULA with any Microsoft software you plan on using with a dedicated server. you could in breach of license, SPLA Licenses only are allowed to be used with your OVH server.

LinuxGam
31-08-2013, 15:10
Quote Originally Posted by macole111
For the record I use ESXi running Windows server running MySQL and IIS.

I hate MSSQL, but most of their other server applications work pretty well.

-macole111
It's not that I hate the apps. SQL Server Management Studio and Visual Studio are absolutely amazing, as is the underlying engine. What pissed me off it they doubled the price in one change for anyone running up to a 4 core processor.

Which for a small business is most people!

macole111
31-08-2013, 15:06
For the record I use ESXi running Windows server running MySQL and IIS.

I hate MSSQL, but most of their other server applications work pretty well.

-macole111

LinuxGam
31-08-2013, 14:27
Well I use Windows and MySQL rather than SQL (seeing how it costs more). Works great for me. I don't believe that either OS is the future as they'll both have their place depending on the application.
To give you a bit of background my current server at another hosting provider is a Windows Server hosted on bare metal. Then Microsoft change the SQL licensing model to completely f**k any small SQL users.

So I was going to change to MySQL windows, but I like Linux for it's stability and speed and tiny footprint. So decided I would keep windows to run IIS and change the backend to MySQL/Linux. I am not quite obsessed enough to change to Mono :-) However, MySQL is a very decent DB system and runs very well on Linux and Windows as well.

Food for thought:

When you get your mSP you can run windows in a KVM and linux MySQL in an OpenVZ and the % CPU lost for the virtualization is very small, and is more than made up for by complete server snapshots every night.

If the **** hits the fan, you have everything back up and running as soon as you have a server back up, even from a clean install.

Andy
31-08-2013, 14:20
Well I use Windows and MySQL rather than SQL (seeing how it costs more). Works great for me. I don't believe that either OS is the future as they'll both have their place depending on the application.

LinuxGam
31-08-2013, 14:16
I think everyone prefers free, but sometimes you have to pay to get the quality Windows has never failed me so that's why I prefer it. Unlike Linux tends to be, Windows 'just works'. Linux requires a lot of patience and knowledge to harness its power.
That's why I (people) like it :-)

I think if you write software for a living by default you want/like to know how things work at a lower level. I am far more expert in Windows/SQL than Linux/MySQL, however I choose to use both as the future is in the latter.

Andy
31-08-2013, 14:14
I think everyone prefers free, but sometimes you have to pay to get the quality Windows has never failed me so that's why I prefer it. Unlike Linux tends to be, Windows 'just works'. Linux requires a lot of patience and knowledge to harness its power.

LinuxGam
31-08-2013, 14:13
OVH call it SPLA license, but it's not really. You can use any valid license it seems. Which is right, since you've already paid for it why shouldn't you be allowed to use it?
I have no issues with that at all. Sadly I am a C# .NET Developer by trade, but very much prefer the idea of free software / OS

Andy
31-08-2013, 14:11
OVH call it SPLA license, but it's not really. You can use any valid license it seems. Which is right, since you've already paid for it why shouldn't you be allowed to use it?

LinuxGam
31-08-2013, 14:09
Not for an SPLA license no. You install linux when you buy it then add an SPLA license later and it lets you install Windows. Since it's your license there is no rental cost.
I use my own Windows license to, but don't you have to pay for the SPLA license, I thought they were service provider licenses.

Andy
31-08-2013, 14:08
Not for an SPLA license no. You install linux when you buy it then add an SPLA license later and it lets you install Windows. Since it's your license there is no rental cost.

LinuxGam
31-08-2013, 14:07
I use an SPLA license so it costs me nothing for the Windows licenses anyway
I thought they added onto to you server cost?

Andy
31-08-2013, 13:56
I use an SPLA license so it costs me nothing for the Windows licenses anyway A friend of mine has some unused from some jobs he's done in the past so he donated them to the site

Plus getting one mSP and 3 K2G's would only come to 5.5TB of space We need space to expand. In the last month alone we have had 200GB added to the archive.

LinuxGam
31-08-2013, 13:53
Awesome site! Not telling you how to suck eggs, but being as windows and SQL licensing has just gone though the roof and Kimsufi's are cheap. Why not host the web site on an mSP on windows and get 3 x 2G to host the archived data.

You get more space, faster response time and less load on the site bandwidth. Then you run Windows/IIS on the site/mSP and Apache on Linux with no license costs on the 3 archive servers.

Andy
31-08-2013, 13:48
The one in my signature www.betaarchive.com

LinuxGam
31-08-2013, 13:48
What kind of site is it? That's a pretty big archive :-)

Andy
31-08-2013, 13:46
I mainly need them for the storage space. My site's archive is over 5TB now and my current server only holds 3TB. The rest is hosted on a friends broadband in Sweden but he wants to off-load it to a dedicated server if we can. Getting 2 mSP's will give us about 7.5TB of space to play with

LinuxGam
31-08-2013, 13:45
They're limiting them for a very good reason - the specs are very good for the price and people would end up reselling them at extremely inflated prices.

The mSP is where I'll be moving to next when the backlog is gone. I'll be getting 2 of them as the same cost for 2 is what I pay for 1 lower spec server now. I'll essentially be getting 3x what I do now for the same cost.
My mSP running Proxmox is awesome. I got the SDD's to speed up read/write and its amazing. I am truly impressed with the network speed and the hardware speed.

It's not got any live sites on yet, but all tests have been amazing!

Andy
31-08-2013, 13:40
They're limiting them for a very good reason - the specs are very good for the price and people would end up reselling them at extremely inflated prices.

The mSP is where I'll be moving to next when the backlog is gone. I'll be getting 2 of them as the same cost for 2 is what I pay for 1 lower spec server now. I'll essentially be getting 3x what I do now for the same cost.

LinuxGam
31-08-2013, 13:37
I have just thought something that confirms they are not making money, why limit something to 3 per person, if they are making you loads of cash?

Another thing I notice is that the server pricing doesn't scale in a linear fashion. If you were to do a cost/value graph it would def be a curve, which again leads me to believe they are getting people in cheap hoping they stay and upgrade.

This is not a moan as it suits me and the mSP is particularly awesome value for what is a a proper Xeon server with huge RAM and could happily host most sites/db's unless they super busy.

Andy
31-08-2013, 13:18
You're probably right when it comes to the 2G. The others perhaps not since they do cost a bit more. However given the fact that OVH has built their own datacenters from scratch, get their power from a hydro dam (in the US) etc, then it might stand to reason that it's not a loser except for the initial hardware costs. Who knows Maybe Oles or OVH staff could give us some insight?

LinuxGam
31-08-2013, 13:03
I have been examining all the different servers and prices etc When you consider the parts cost, someone needs to install them and then there is a small electricity and space cost.

Is it generally assumed they are loss leaders, like supermarkets do with drink promotions to get you in and then you buy more expensive products.

The 2G and 16G particularly seem incredible value for money. I would never run a serious site or service on them with no RAID (software or otherwise) but the i5 processor on the 16G is not some watered down Celeron and with 16G ram! That's more RAM than my pretty high spec PC at home!