OVH Community, your new community space.

Problem setting up

Phixion
13-09-2013, 15:38
Do yourself a favour; install Ubuntu Desktop with x2go (you will find it in the Linux Ready to go distros).

Then download the x2go client on your home PC and connect to your servers IP with the usename and password that gets emailed to you when you reinstall.

TSV
13-09-2013, 03:59

TSV
06-09-2013, 02:57
Quote Originally Posted by geoffreyc
What will be the purpose of your set up, If you don't mind me asking? I only ask because at the end of the day, it is much easier to use the command line when it comes to the administration of a linux machine than through GUI. It's awkward when coming from a windows server background, but connecting through remote desktop on a linux server rarely makes sense.
Nothing major really, I just use it as somewhere to store my files and the odd bit of downloading of a tv show once in a while, I certainly won't be hammering anything but I like to be able to configure settings for each torrent so none of them just keep seeding all day long. I'd settle for a system that does what it is supposed to. I don't want anything super duper, just something that doesn't frustrate the hell out of me.

It's times like these I get a new found appreciation for Microsoft, they wouldn't have had something like the XRDP fiasco go on so long. Then again they have $50Bn in cash reserves as they charge some people for software, apparently. I know, I was surprised too.

geoffreyc
05-09-2013, 20:02
Quote Originally Posted by TSV
Can anyone help me please? I've reinstalled ubuntu after trying everything else. I still can't get online. It won't let me set up an RDP as I have to do so on the system and nothing I've found has worked.

I can get ftp to work but can't log on, go online or anything. If I could just get a browser open I could then download and install what I need.

Can anyone please help? I've been doing this for days.
What will be the purpose of your set up, If you don't mind me asking? I only ask because at the end of the day, it is much easier to use the command line when it comes to the administration of a linux machine than through GUI. It's awkward when coming from a windows server background, but connecting through remote desktop on a linux server rarely makes sense.

TSV
05-09-2013, 19:32
Can anyone help me please? I've reinstalled ubuntu after trying everything else. I still can't get online. It won't let me set up an RDP as I have to do so on the system and nothing I've found has worked.

I can get ftp to work but can't log on, go online or anything. If I could just get a browser open I could then download and install what I need.

Can anyone please help? I've been doing this for days.

Tz-OVH
05-09-2013, 09:17
Yeah cheers, it was a one time thing.

I've now installed OVH Centos6 as I thought this would be my best chance of getting something stable. I can't see a list of programs anywhere just like I couldn't with Ubuntu. How do I go online? Is there a browser anywhere?
I personally have never been able to live with linux longer than a few days before it drives me insane for some reason or another.

After many years I've just decided to accept that linux is not for me.

It's why I solely use Windows Server on any dedi I rent @ OVH or any other DC.

Your PM/email is turned off, so couldn't message you. Hit me up in case you want to get Windows loaded onto your server

TSV
05-09-2013, 09:06
Quote Originally Posted by geoffreyc
Just FYI, with you mentioning torrenting, seedboxes are not allowed on the KS range (and most probably the PRO range too). Not accusing you of anything of course, just putting it out there .
Yeah cheers, it was a one time thing.

I've now installed OVH Centos6 as I thought this would be my best chance of getting something stable. I can't see a list of programs anywhere just like I couldn't with Ubuntu. How do I go online? Is there a browser anywhere?

geoffreyc
05-09-2013, 07:34
Just FYI, with you mentioning torrenting, seedboxes are not allowed on the KS range (and most probably the PRO range too). Not accusing you of anything of course, just putting it out there .

Trapper
05-09-2013, 03:48
It won't let you reinstall windows if you didn't have it originally, which is a shame because I've got Windows Server 2012 and Windows 7 Ultimate here I could use.
You need to PM Tz-OVH his posts-sig answers just your question...

TSV
05-09-2013, 01:14
Quote Originally Posted by Myatu
Isn't it available in the list of OS' you can install on your server? If not, surely someone in particular will try and poach a "remote windows installation" service when they notice this though
It won't let you reinstall windows if you didn't have it originally, which is a shame because I've got Windows Server 2012 and Windows 7 Ultimate here I could use.

Should I use ext4 for all the partitions? I want 100GB for the files and os etc and I want a separate partition of 900GB for my tv shows I download. Should I do Primary and Logical?

Myatu
05-09-2013, 00:56
How hard is installing Windows 2012 remotely? I'm thinking I might be better off cutting my losses and getting an os I am familiar with.
Isn't it available in the list of OS' you can install on your server? If not, surely someone in particular will try and poach a "remote windows installation" service when they notice this though

Myatu
05-09-2013, 00:52
That's likely due to the disk partitioning - I believe your /home directory is on a separate partition (and much larger than all other partitions).

You could resize the root partition by booting the server in rescue mode, but then you'll be doing things that can easily go wrong if you're not familiar with Linux (not trying to patronise you here, by the way).

If you do not have many applications installed/setup yet, then I'd say re-installing is a better option, and possibly quicker too. When you do so, instead of selecting the "Default partition layout", you can choose to customise your partition. I'd say, try this layout:

• /boot - Allocate 250 MBytes
  • swap - Allocate the amount in MB equal to or less than 50% of your total RAM - 10-25% the total RAM is a more realistic value, particularly as you can always add more using files, if need be.
  • And then the rest is allocated as root (/)

There's plenty of stories about why its good or bad to use a single root directory, but for sake of simplicity, this should suffice. At any rate, you will already have /boot in a separate partition.

TSV
05-09-2013, 00:36
Hi, regarding your earlier question: Ubuntu doesn't have a "Program Files" as what you're used to with Windows. The interface is some getting used to, surely.

As for getting the pixelated screen, have you set the desktop to 2D as in that little article?
I have and it worked, thank you. Yesterday it wouldn't let me see anything that wasn't on the launcher but tonight I got it all working, hurray!

Now it says I'm running out of space and I have only 100GB when I have 1TB. I need to wipe it and start again, don't I?

I want 100GB for the OS and the other 900GB for my downloads. How can I set it up for that?

How hard is installing Windows 2012 remotely? I'm thinking I might be better off cutting my losses and getting an os I am familiar with.

Myatu
04-09-2013, 23:34
Hi, regarding your earlier question: Ubuntu doesn't have a "Program Files" as what you're used to with Windows. The interface is some getting used to, surely.

As for getting the pixelated screen, have you set the desktop to 2D as in that little article?

TSV
04-09-2013, 23:25
I've reinstalled the os again and it is still not working. I'm getting the pixelated screen again but can't see anything else. Any ideas?

TSV
04-09-2013, 04:19
It's me again. I have the RDP working but I can't launch any apps, I can't find any that aren't on the launcher. There's no program files or anything other than what's on the launcher.

I've just downloaded a torrent and it asked which program to associate with it. When I browsed, there was nothing at all. I've already got utorrent working and it comes installed with transmission yet it couldn't find them.

What's going on? I really appreciate your help guys.

TSV
04-09-2013, 00:07
Got it working. The good old reboot, is there anything it can't fix?

Thanks for all your help guys.

TSV
04-09-2013, 00:04
How do you mean? A larger resolution?
No, I get the background of the RDP but nothing else. It's obviously making a connection but I can't see anything. I'm rebooting the server for the millionth time.

Myatu
03-09-2013, 23:47
How do you mean? A larger resolution?

TSV
03-09-2013, 23:33
Looks like you're almost there - that's a default background for X-Windows, on which almost all GUI/Desktops are based.

Going back to that article for install xrdp, try following the last two instructions:

http://www.liberiangeek.net/2012/05/...emote-desktop/
Any idea how I can go from the basic rdp screen to full connection? I've tried everything I can think of.

Myatu
03-09-2013, 23:02
I've just got the rdp to accept the user name and password and I now have this.

http://tinypic.com/r/2ajygxg/5

I can't believe the problems I'm having, I'm normally OK at stuff like this.
Looks like you're almost there - that's a default background for X-Windows, on which almost all GUI/Desktops are based.

Going back to that article for install xrdp, try following the last two instructions:

TSV
03-09-2013, 22:48
Cheers Ricky and everyone else. When I log into Xrdp what module should I use?

rickyday
03-09-2013, 22:37

I will be the first to admit Linux is not my greatest strength, I know the basics to get by but that's it.

I am sure Myatu or some nix expert can help, failing that you can reinstall Ubuntu Destkop from the OVH manager and that will be preconfigured and work perfect.

I have used it and it works fine, could be quickest way to get this working, just make sure you backup anything you need to keep on the server of course.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, any Windows issues give me a shout

TSV
03-09-2013, 22:29

rickyday
03-09-2013, 22:28
I can't get it to work though. For my user name do I use desktop or my nic handle? I've tried both with the appropriate passwords without success.
The only time you use your nic handle is to log into OVH sites and manager.

You will never use that to login to your server, normally it will be the login and password that is emailed to you when you initially receive the server.

rickyday
03-09-2013, 22:26
Doh!

Completely forgot about command line!

Start -Run and type "mstsc"

I need more sleep

TSV
03-09-2013, 22:23
The replies are coming thick and fast, it's greatly appreciated chaps.

I've found my RDP, it had moved. In case anyone else has this problem,
The remote desktop client is actually called Microsoft Terminal Services Client try typing mstsc in the search or run dialog
I can't get it to work though. For my user name do I use desktop or my nic handle? I've tried both with the appropriate passwords without success.

I've got FTP to work and I've got utorrent webui to work but I've not been able to physically see my desktop.

macole111
03-09-2013, 21:58
I have a custom app I wrote that includes all our helpdesk webpages, email and RDP all integrated. If anyone is interested I could make a version for anybody :P

Never used RDCM.

-macole111

rickyday
03-09-2013, 21:50
Should be in that location in the link or perhaps system tools.

You can also use this where you can edit and store multiple profiles and connections, very handy for connecting to multiple servers, you can arrange them in groups etc, and even connect to all servers with just one click.

Its awesome try it.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=21101

But for one connection use Remote Desktop Connection which is the simplest option

Myatu
03-09-2013, 21:46
Hmm, I'm vaguely familiar with Windows nowadays - where's Andy when you need him

This is re Win 2K8 r2:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...(v=ws.10).aspx

TSV
03-09-2013, 21:40
With XRDP you need an RDP client on your own computer/laptop. This comes standard with most Windows installations (Remote Desktop). In this client, for the host, you simply use the IP address or the hostname (the "ks32...." bit) - there's no need to include "http://" or similar for this.
That's what I used to have. Now I get this

http://tinypic.com/r/2ztd281/5

I can't see the old Remote Desktop Connection anywhere. I do a search and that is the nearest thing I can find.

Myatu
03-09-2013, 21:32
With XRDP you need an RDP client on your own computer/laptop. This comes standard with most Windows installations (Remote Desktop). In this client, for the host, you simply use the IP address or the hostname (the "ks32...." bit) - there's no need to include "http://" or similar for this.

TSV
03-09-2013, 21:28
Yes, the username is "desktop", therefore it isn't "root" and so it does matter, correct. If you receive such a message, you can usually gain super-user privileges using "sudo". In other words, it allows you to perform root tasks.

So, for example, you could use:

Code:
sudo service xrdp restart
PS: Note that XRDP is different from X2Go.
I've done that, it said restarting then said it had done it. How do I view it?

Re the other post, I originally got a user name 'root' this was then changed to 'desktop' the first time I reinstalled the os. The second time it kept the username desktop and just changed the password.

What is my URL?
ks3269189.kimsufi.com It isn't that with http or https://

Cheers for all your help.

Myatu
03-09-2013, 20:39
Edit. I tried logging on as root and my password doesn't work. I tried the original one I received and that doesn't work either.
You mean username "desktop" and the associated password you've received by e-mail?

Myatu
03-09-2013, 20:37
Right I've found the file other hosts and deleted it. I'm now being told I must be root to start, stop or restart xrdp. I'm root but my username is desktop and not root. Does this matter?
Yes, the username is "desktop", therefore it isn't "root" and so it does matter, correct. If you receive such a message, you can usually gain super-user privileges using "sudo". In other words, it allows you to perform root tasks.

So, for example, you could use:

Code:
sudo service xrdp restart
PS: Note that XRDP is different from X2Go.

TSV
03-09-2013, 20:23
Right I've found the file other hosts and deleted it. I'm now being told I must be root to start, stop or restart xrdp. I'm root but my username is desktop and not root. Does this matter?
Edit. I tried logging on as root and my password doesn't work. I tried the original one I received and that doesn't work either.

Myatu
03-09-2013, 19:55
Ah! This might happen if you've re-installed the OS on the server, for example.

This causes the unique ID (Host Key) for the server to change too - SSH/X2Go will then refuse to connect because it thinks there's a "man in the middle" attack going on.

So you will need to tell it that the host key stored from previous connections is no longer valid in this case. On *nix machines, the entry can be found in the ~/.ssh/known_hosts file - if you're unsure which line it is, this file can be deleted for sake of simplicity here (though over time you'll have to know how to do this without deleting the entire file). On Windows, I'm not sure where it is located. I presume somehwere like C:\Users\\ssh or the likes - a file find on "known_hosts" should give you the actual location.

Once that's been done, try again with X2Go.

K.Kode
03-09-2013, 19:50
Quote Originally Posted by macole111
I think everyone is breaking MS' EULA somewhere...

-macole111
I can categorically state that I am not.

TSV
03-09-2013, 19:17
Regarding RDP, connect to the IP or hostname without providing credentials in the RDP client itself - these will be asked once the connection has been made. With regards to X2go, what error message are you receiving - if any?
Windows just says error and X2Go says Host key for server changed, it is now 5:39:82:86.22 for security reasons it will now be stopped.

Myatu
03-09-2013, 19:06
Regarding RDP, connect to the IP or hostname without providing credentials in the RDP client itself - these will be asked once the connection has been made. With regards to X2go, what error message are you receiving - if any?

Myatu
03-09-2013, 18:59
Edit your post and remove your password, btw. Better yet, change the password now. Best not to publish those on a public forum.

TSV
03-09-2013, 18:56
Cheers for the speedy replies guys.

I've tried x2go and can't get it to log on.
I've tried RDP and can't get it to work. It asks for a URL but when I put in my ip address or ks3269189.kimsufi.com it gives an error. If I add http:// or https:// it still doesn't work. It says Host key has now changed.

It says I need root but I have input these

The following root account has been configured on the server:
Username: desktop
Password:

I've installed XRDP but can't get it to open up.

I have access to ftp, have installed utorrent but need to log on to the desktop.

macole111
03-09-2013, 18:47
I think everyone is breaking MS' EULA somewhere...

-macole111

rickyday
03-09-2013, 18:32
Quote Originally Posted by theatheist
Or get a 6 month trial installed via winstaller.org
and then rearm it, is it 3 or 4 times

Just have to read the Microsoft EULA thoroughly though regarding a trial version

rickyday
03-09-2013, 18:31
Quote Originally Posted by macole111
apparently any Windows key works... not just SPLA ones.

-macole111
You would be breaking the terms of Microsoft's EULA though and you wouldn't want to do that would you?

macole111
03-09-2013, 18:03
apparently any Windows key works... not just SPLA ones.

-macole111

theatheist
03-09-2013, 17:50
Quote Originally Posted by rickyday
course if you have a SPLA key you could install Windows 2008/R2
Or get a 6 month trial installed via winstaller.org

Myatu
03-09-2013, 17:24
How do I set it up so I can use the Ubuntu os? I want to add apps and view files etc. Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong? I can't see anywhere where it tells me how to do it.
If you already have Ubuntu Dekstop installed, then it should already come with X2GO, which allows you to remotely view the desktop. More details about it can be found here:

http://help.ovh.co.uk/x2goUbuntuDesktop

There are other ways to connect to it as well. For example, you can use Windows' own RDP client to view the remote desktop. But you will first need to install 'xrdp' on the server:

rickyday
03-09-2013, 17:15
Hi guys, I've got a 4 Gig Kimsufi and have managed to install utorrent and got ftp working in Filezilla. I can't get Mom desktop to work but I'm online with it ok.

How do I set it up so I can use the Ubuntu os? I want to add apps and view files etc. Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong? I can't see anywhere where it tells me how to do it.
Login to OVH Manager https://www.ovh.co.uk/managerv3/

Select your dedicated server ---> services ---> Reinstall change/OS

Lots of options and if you require a desktop select Ubuntu 12.04 or of course if you have a SPLA key you could install Windows 2008/R2

I am sure if you don't want to format and start again, there will be some Linux person along to guide you to installing a desktop on Linux.

alex
03-09-2013, 10:28
you can use what ever you want, it's your choice. Reinstall the os if it's not Ubuntu OS.

raxxeh
03-09-2013, 05:45
Hi guys, I've got a 4 Gig Kimsufi and have managed to install utorrent and got ftp working in Filezilla. I can't get Mom desktop to work but I'm online with it ok.

OVH are an un-managed provider.

They give you the hardware, they install an operating system, and they email you the root password.

You need to do everything from there on.

TSV
03-09-2013, 05:11