OVH Community, your new community space.

Does anyone know anything about Citrix?

TSV
08-09-2013, 23:35
Quote Originally Posted by w33brad
I'm so glad to hear you have it working properly.
It's all about learning. I'm thinking of getting a 2nd server from these guys (2G), just to install unix and mess around.
Can I ask what the problem was, and how you fixed it?
This would benefit any others in your situation.

Your welcome
I fixed it due to your post. The problem appeared to be relying on the automated system to install the correct partitions. As soon as I did it myself it worked. This was despite the partitions being seemingly different for each different operating system.

I'd have thought changing the partitions would erase all other information but it appears it did not.

w33brad
08-09-2013, 09:21
Quote Originally Posted by TSV
Check out the big brain on Brad.

It's worked. I can't believe I can actually type this. I'm so grateful you have no idea. In the future historians will look back on this day and you'll be compared to Jesus, Cantona and Frank Sidebottom. You sir, are a bona fide legend. If this forum had rep you'd get so much green the feds would pull you over.

Thank you so much, I can finally go to bed.
I'm so glad to hear you have it working properly.
It's all about learning. I'm thinking of getting a 2nd server from these guys (2G), just to install unix and mess around.
Can I ask what the problem was, and how you fixed it?
This would benefit any others in your situation.

Your welcome

Trapper
08-09-2013, 08:41
Loving the Plup Fiction reference, but which bit was it that helped...?

~Trap

TSV
08-09-2013, 03:18
Check out the big brain on Brad.

It's worked. I can't believe I can actually type this. I'm so grateful you have no idea. In the future historians will look back on this day and you'll be compared to Jesus, Cantona and Frank Sidebottom. You sir, are a bona fide legend. If this forum had rep you'd get so much green the feds would pull you over.

Thank you so much, I can finally go to bed.

w33brad
08-09-2013, 01:27
I looked into this. But even then, its £30 one off fee, and at most you get 180 days of trial. It's possible to do this yourself and still get the trial.
It's an okay offer - If you already have a key/are planning on getting one. But again, with a little help/research its possible to do this yourself.

theatheist
08-09-2013, 01:21
Quote Originally Posted by TSV
I'd gladly put windows on it but it will cost. I can get the files but it's getting it to install the files, they won't open iso's for example (all the os I've tried). I'm just giving the OVH2 one a try, hopefully it will be worth the hassle.
Try winstaller.org

w33brad
08-09-2013, 01:02
Yeah I saw the post you're on about.

Have you re-formatted all partitions?
This could cause conflict if you haven't.
If not setup correctly/intentionally, multi OS WILL cause problems.

Is it possible to take the machine back to barebones (i.e factory settings)

Obviously something you have done previously is causing conflict to the fresh installs. Without any logs it is impossible to tell where said conflict is and how to rectify it.

I don't yet have a OVH server, so I'm not sure what you get management wise. I'm just going by previous experience with other companies.

The problem with using pre-set installations, is that it's not a completely fresh install. And it usually brings stuff with it, which again, could be causing problems with previous work you've done to it.

With your partitions, I'm not sure that an automated install will wipe these. This (from the sounds of it) is your root problem.
Partitioning is always something you have to do manually, whether that's creating it or wiping it. Look further into this. I don't have the expertise to help with partitions on a Unix based system. But I know that even on a Windows this is a manual task. I've had errors with a Home PC before due to partitioning going awry. But then I could reinstall freshly from a DISC, with this auto install the dedi's usually have, I don't know if it actually clears everything..

TSV
08-09-2013, 00:36
If you haven't already, try installing Ubuntu or Debian, the latest you can obtain of each. Both are the most advanced/complete Unix systems around.

the only 2 bits of hardware that could cause such problems are your CPU if it's not processing commands properly and your HDD if it's not reading/writing properly. Both would send alerts back to OVH if there was issues, so I am certain it's not either.

All the Unix's should at the very least, be able to unzip/open files.

What SSH commands are you using?

Fedora should also work with VNC/RDP. Although I have used this configuration before, and its not to my liking - it worked though.
But as I say, I'm not a fan of Unix, period.

EDIT: Is it throwing any error's back at you, or just not responding to commands?
They just have functions missing. No wine, no ubuntu software downloader and when you eventually find them you click install and it looks like it's doing it but then they just stop.

I've tried everything there is now and I'm still no nearer. I managed to get everything set up perfectly once but I did my partitions wrong and ran out of space very quickly. Surely it can't be related to that? I just use the systems automated settings now.

When I do things via the command line it will do some but then there's an error or two later down the line.

I've seen someone else on the kimsufi forum say he had the same problem but that was 2 weeks ago and he's not been on since so I don't know how he fixed it, if he even did.

w33brad
07-09-2013, 23:43
If you haven't already, try installing Ubuntu or Debian, the latest you can obtain of each. Both are the most advanced/complete Unix systems around.

the only 2 bits of hardware that could cause such problems are your CPU if it's not processing commands properly and your HDD if it's not reading/writing properly. Both would send alerts back to OVH if there was issues, so I am certain it's not either.

All the Unix's should at the very least, be able to unzip/open files.

What SSH commands are you using?

Fedora should also work with VNC/RDP. Although I have used this configuration before, and its not to my liking - it worked though.
But as I say, I'm not a fan of Unix, period.

EDIT: Is it throwing any error's back at you, or just not responding to commands?

TSV
07-09-2013, 23:15
I'm assuming you are familiar with Linux?

My personal opinion of linux is that it's an incomplete OS. People will surely disagree with that comment, but it's true. I've had loads of issues with various Unix OS's in the past, even with support from Hosting Companies.

I'd recommend Debian, if you are set on Unix, as my experience says it's the best out of the lot.

Although I'm a committed Windows guy myself, I'd highly recommend going Windows.
Problems are much easier to fix, and it's a lot more stable, much more user friendly, and has a built in desktop interface, so remote desktop access is no bother.

There are ways to get a free license, primarily if you are a student. Otherwise there is a free trial floating around (180 days I believe). Which is 6months roughly. Plenty time to decide whether it's right for you.

I doubt it's the servers issue and more a software issue (by your description). Not trying to dig at your knowledge here, but as I said before, Unix is an awful OS (why do you think it's free? :P)

If you are a student, check this out for a free Windows Server license:
https://www.dreamspark.com/Student/Default.aspx

P.S
Windows Server 2008 is better IMO.
AFAIK 2012 emulates Windows 8 Desktop. It's just more compatible to go 2008 atm anyway, since it's older.
I'd gladly put windows on it but it will cost. I can get the files but it's getting it to install the files, they won't open iso's for example (all the os I've tried). I'm just giving the OVH2 one a try, hopefully it will be worth the hassle.

w33brad
07-09-2013, 22:37
I'm assuming you are familiar with Linux?

My personal opinion of linux is that it's an incomplete OS. People will surely disagree with that comment, but it's true. I've had loads of issues with various Unix OS's in the past, even with support from Hosting Companies.

I'd recommend Debian, if you are set on Unix, as my experience says it's the best out of the lot.

Although I'm a committed Windows guy myself, I'd highly recommend going Windows.
Problems are much easier to fix, and it's a lot more stable, much more user friendly, and has a built in desktop interface, so remote desktop access is no bother.

There are ways to get a free license, primarily if you are a student. Otherwise there is a free trial floating around (180 days I believe). Which is 6months roughly. Plenty time to decide whether it's right for you.

I doubt it's the servers issue and more a software issue (by your description). Not trying to dig at your knowledge here, but as I said before, Unix is an awful OS (why do you think it's free? :P)

If you are a student, check this out for a free Windows Server license:
https://www.dreamspark.com/Student/Default.aspx

P.S
Windows Server 2008 is better IMO.
AFAIK 2012 emulates Windows 8 Desktop. It's just more compatible to go 2008 atm anyway, since it's older.

TSV
07-09-2013, 21:52
I can't connect to any desktop viewer. I've had loads of problems with this, I've reinstalled operating systems about 15 times and no matter which I choose they all have problems displaying the desktop and installing programs like Wine.

Marc in support has been no help telling me it's my fault even though it does it when it is reinstalled automatically. I must have a dodgy server but as that's not allowed, what am I doing wrong?

I paid about 2 weeks ago for this and it's never worked properly. Not impressed and I'm about to throw the pc at the wall, may be that's where I'm going wrong.

Please help to maintain what little sanity I have left. Kill me or fix my server.