OVH Community, your new community space.

Oldbies: should we be forum moderators?

Jasgriff
11-09-2013, 11:52
Quote Originally Posted by trapper
add to that sticky this most essential document:
http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

~trap
lol

Trapper
10-09-2013, 22:33
Quote Originally Posted by Jasgriff
I was also thinking that someone could make a what good looks like post that could be stuck at the top of the page....
Add to that sticky this most essential document:
http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

~Trap

Jasgriff
10-09-2013, 19:45
Quote Originally Posted by macole111
A flagging system like Trapper suggests sounds good.

-macole111
I agree.

I was also thinking that someone could make a what good looks like post that could be stuck at the top of the page....

*** Never post passwords or sensitive information here ***

Server Model :
Operating System :

Description of fault and tests carried out :

ETC ETC

macole111
10-09-2013, 18:42
A flagging system like Trapper suggests sounds good.

-macole111

Trapper
10-09-2013, 18:33
Quote Originally Posted by Kacotet
If only we could down vote posts.
Actually, with the thread title in mind, it would be great if semi-mods could "vote up" posts. Let's say a thread (or post) reaches 5, then an email goes to OVH for response.

Then the "Oldbies" could vote-up threads which need OVH support, which need direct action, rather than "member support".

Just a thought, maybe needs some work still...

~Trap

Tz-OVH
10-09-2013, 17:00
Quote Originally Posted by wii89
If kimsufi servers are forum support only I would expect at least one of OVH UK staff to be active and monitor the forum every few of hours and responds to posts.
They do, but not to everything. I (we) have to assume they're quite busy lately.

wii89
10-09-2013, 15:24
If kimsufi servers are forum support only I would expect at least one of OVH UK staff to be active and monitor the forum every few of hours and responds to posts.

Kacotet
10-09-2013, 14:52
If only we could down vote posts.

RapidSeeds
09-09-2013, 00:28
If you don't like what someone is saying, add them to your ignore list.

Myatu
08-09-2013, 22:46
With responsibility comes accountability. Despite the good intention, I'd rather see that moderator privileges remain with OVH staff. Reason being is that if someone is given these privileges, but for some reason decides to abuse them, the repercussions for that individual are not as severe were he/she a staff member. In other words, a staff member is not likely to risk their job, whereas a customer/volunteer can just walk off.

That said, I do wish OVH staff could spend a bit more time here, or perhaps hire someone specific for that purpose -- like a "social media manager", which is becoming a popular job title for managing FB pages or Twitter feeds.

I certainly agree that the forum has gotten very messy as of late though, so whatever is decided upon to resolve the mess, I do hope it'll be soon.

rickyday
08-09-2013, 21:21
Oldies and Newbies.

I don't think just because someone has 900+ posts that would make them a good moderator automatically, someone that had 45 posts for instance could be a much better choice.

Of course other factors would need to be considered, for instance the quality and accuracy of their posts for one thing.

Just my 10 euros worth.

jadrake
08-09-2013, 21:05
As a newbie, what you are saying certainly seems to be true. I joined here after buying a VPS and ordering a couple of sufis. I began by "getting involved" but noticed that the general atmosphere seemed to degenerate rapidly as news of the supply backlog became known.

Since then, I've just kept my head down and am waiting patiently for my servers to arrive.

I'm a huge fan of forums, and have been an active and positive contributer to a number over the last few years, but this one looks a little rough around the edges, certainly recently.

Perhaps things will lighten up once the backlog is reduced/removed. One thing I will say is, however, that anyone new and unsure showing up here is very unlikely to stay around long, unless they're like me (which I wouldn't wish on anyone).

Adam

Tz-OVH
08-09-2013, 20:37
I think we already mentioned this elsewhere? It is going to come down to the community here to help and act as support for the most part as I doubt OVH are going to invest a lot into forum support for KS customers.

*edit*

Something along those lines http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6907

I'm sure a lot can be done on the forums and the FAQ page (in terms of basic guides) - especially now that email support is gone.

gregoryfenton
08-09-2013, 20:16
Quote Originally Posted by DigitalDaz
these forums have been pretty troll free for years!
I have to agree completely with this sentiment, this has in the main been one of the - if not the - best forums I have ever been on.
If someone had a problem then one of us - andy, myself and countless others - would invariably supply the solution and the forum ticked along perfectly well.

The past month has seen a massive degradation in the quality of posts and the way we have been left to fend for ourselves while a deluge of trolling has been going on is leaving a nasty taste in my mouth.

While at one time this forum was something that OVH could be proud of now it has become somewhere that I don't want to be involved in but that is not an option as it is our only means of support.

I believe that the situation could return to normal rapidly if the core group of members that made this forum what it once was be allowed to moderate it ourselves and be able to move, split and trash posts.

Obviously it wouldn't be acceptable for us to delete requests for help, but to be able to put them in the correct forum or split them from existing threads would make it easier for the OVH team Neil, Sophie and Marks to work through at a time when their workload has doubtless been massively increased.

We appreciate the effort the OVH team put in and would love to get the forum back how it has always been.

Any oldbies want to raise their hands and offer their services?