OVH Community, your new community space.

VNC Vpn

TSV
09-09-2013, 14:14
Quote Originally Posted by DigitalDaz
Obviously there will be some overhead for the VPN.

I have fiber here, get about 70 meg down and in the past because of my nosy ISP I donwload stuff to a box from the net and then pull it using Filezilla using scp.

I've never really had any noticeable slowdowns but then I've nerver been measuring it.

Just streaming I doubt if you will notice any difference.
That's great then. If I have to download something big I can always switch it off.

I'll check our OpenVPN, I've used Softether before and that was fine but it didn't allow my torrents to work and it was really slow when downloading. I wouldn't want to be streaming anything with it on.

Thanks.

DigitalDaz
09-09-2013, 14:11
Obviously there will be some overhead for the VPN.

I have fiber here, get about 70 meg down and in the past because of my nosy ISP I donwload stuff to a box from the net and then pull it using Filezilla using scp.

I've never really had any noticeable slowdowns but then I've nerver been measuring it.

Just streaming I doubt if you will notice any difference.

TSV
09-09-2013, 14:04
Cheers chaps.

I have 120MB broadband connection at home. Will my speed be reduced? Surely it will only download at the rate the VPN is using which, as it's free I'm guessing isn't going to be that great.

Or have I misunderstood how they work?

K.Kode
09-09-2013, 10:31
OpenVPN (community) is free and without client limitations, it's the OpenVPN Access Server which is limited to 2 free clients.

glidewave
09-09-2013, 04:33
VNC and VPN are 2 totally different things. The easiest option is to setup the server with a VPN server software and connect to it to route your traffic through the VPN connection. OpenVPN Access Server (Linux) is one of the easiest to setup and is free up to a few client connections. Keep in mind, the location of your server then becomes the location at which you are filtered (or not filtered depending on the service)....

TSV
08-09-2013, 23:38
Are these any good? I've got a kimsufi 4g and have set it up for VNC viewer. Am I right in thinking I can set this up as a VPN too? I'm using Softether VPN at the moment, it's fine as it's free but I'd prefer to have everything in one package. is VNC VPN OK? How do I set it up? I just need to be able to get on websites with geographical location filters, use BBC iPlayer, watch the Daily Show etc.