OVH Community, your new community space.

Western Digital Rolls Out WD Green 4 TB 3.5-inch Hard Drive

Myatu
22-11-2013, 20:31
I like Hitachi very much actually. Good 'ol Travelstar in my old laptop, of which pretty much everything else has been broken at some point, is still doing its job with 0 errors after 36347 hours... That's quite a bit more than the original WD that came with this thing, that failed after 200-some hours.

Pineapple Dan
21-11-2013, 10:49
Now 6TB drives filled with Helium: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/11...ves_from_hgst/

Interesting idea though I wouldn't be a fan of Hitachi and the old DeathStar drives, too many bad experiences. I wonder how long reliable these will be

JakeMS
21-09-2013, 14:45
Quote Originally Posted by Myatu
Provided you didn't backup to the same HDD I still come across that...
Wait what

Your supposed to backup to a different drive?

Oh.. my.. god. I've been doing it wrong all these years

/me goes off to backup to a DIFFERENT drive.

benarcher
21-09-2013, 10:24
Quote Originally Posted by Trapper
backups of backups of backups of backups...

I found a MailEnable installation which was setup to backup within it's own directory...

So, each backup got bigger exponentially...

~Trap
Ha!

I'm pretty sure we've all been victims of this at some point I know I have [though not necessarily with MailEnable].

Then mySQL (or some other service) goes haywire, SSH takes 10minutes to load and then it's:

> df -h

"HuuuuuuuuH"?

...(seconds pass)

"Ohhhhhhhh"

(PS: The above role play applies only to linux users. If you are a not a linux user, then you should be )

Trapper
21-09-2013, 00:18
Quote Originally Posted by LawsHosting
Lol. I see this a lot...

Even then, you'd need backups of your backups, then backups of your backups backups backups
backups of backups of backups of backups...

I found a MailEnable installation which was setup to backup within it's own directory...

So, each backup got bigger exponentially...

~Trap

LawsHosting
20-09-2013, 20:34
Lol. I see this a lot...

Even then, you'd need backups of your backups, then backups of your backups backups backups

Myatu
20-09-2013, 19:40
Quote Originally Posted by JakeMS
Your data is only as valuable as your last backup

JakeMS
20-09-2013, 09:27
You definitely have to keep an eye out for Seagate. Before you know it, all your data is gone because it took a cr....
Regardless of the manufacture of your HDD you should always keep a backup because any HDD can fail, at any time, for any reason. There is no such thing as a HDD that'll never die.

Your data is only as valuable as your last backup

Myatu
19-09-2013, 22:20
LOL, that I didn't. I did have a Z80 self-build board though, with a hexadecimal keypad mounted right on it

rickyday
19-09-2013, 17:12
Oh the memories! Had one of those in an Apricot (Xen II I believe).
I bet you had an Oric or Dragon computer as well

Darkimmortal
19-09-2013, 03:20
Oh the memories! Had one of those in an Apricot (Xen II I believe). Decided to touch that exposed interrupter whilst it was moving. Moment of brilliance there...
Yep I couldn't resist fiddling with the interrupter and track 0 sensor while it was on - surprisingly it took it all in its stride! Very robust piece of kit

Myatu
19-09-2013, 01:48
Quote Originally Posted by Darkimmortal
Fired up one of these the other day - a Miniscribe 8425. Perfect working order, however the old data on it was lost due to track 0 error and probably loads of bitrot.
Oh the memories! Had one of those in an Apricot (Xen II I believe). Decided to touch that exposed interrupter whilst it was moving. Moment of brilliance there...

Trapper
19-09-2013, 00:54
Quote Originally Posted by Jasgriff
I am just waiting for my OCZ SSD to die after reading how bad they are supposed to be!
I run two of these... My oldest is 2 years old now, and been rock solid (touches wood).

Quote Originally Posted by RapidSeeds
Do people still store things on their home hard disks? Gross

Movies, music, photos: all streamed/accessed through my personal cloud.

The beauty of unlimited home fibre. The Internet is local.
I do! But then again, I have a server (with raid) at home, which is backed up to the net...

~Trap

Darkimmortal
19-09-2013, 00:24
I remember the 20MB 5 1/2" Full Height disks that you had to park the heads on before you could move them. And the cork brakes.

Fired up one of these the other day - a Miniscribe 8425. Perfect working order, however the old data on it was lost due to track 0 error and probably loads of bitrot.

Jasgriff
18-09-2013, 22:56
Quote Originally Posted by rickyday
I have been very lucky with Seagate and HDs, had dozens and no duds at all.

Only dead drives I have ever encountered were WD and Toshiba.

You ask people which hard drives have failed for them and you would be amazed at the answers and how diverse they normally are.

(apart from of course IBM deathstars, but of course that was a long time ago )

Kids on the forums wont remember that whole affair
I am just waiting for my OCZ SSD to die after reading how bad they are supposed to be!

Jasgriff
18-09-2013, 22:56
Quote Originally Posted by RapidSeeds

Why don't you give us an 'invite' to your film and music club / website

rickyday
18-09-2013, 22:47
You definitely have to keep an eye out for Seagate. Before you know it, all your data is gone because it took a cr....
I have been very lucky with Seagate and HDs, had dozens and no duds at all.

Only dead drives I have ever encountered were WD and Toshiba.

You ask people which hard drives have failed for them and you would be amazed at the answers and how diverse they normally are.

(apart from of course IBM deathstars, but of course that was a long time ago )

Kids on the forums wont remember that whole affair

Myatu
18-09-2013, 21:59

rickyday
18-09-2013, 21:32
Keep an eye out next year for 5TB Seagates

szisti
18-09-2013, 21:15
try to do that with talktalk broadband ...
I've a 24TB unit 2x5x3TB WD red in raid5

RapidSeeds
18-09-2013, 20:58

Kacotet
17-09-2013, 17:37
£140 over here.

rickyday
14-09-2013, 19:42
Forget HDs!

It is all about the Microdrive!

Myatu
14-09-2013, 18:41
I remember the 20MB 5 1/2" Full Height disks that you had to park the heads on before you could move them. And the cork brakes.

Tz-OVH
13-09-2013, 12:08
http://www.techpowerup.com/190663/we...ard-drive.html

Keeping up with its product roadmaps, Western Digital rolled out WD Green 4 TB hard drive (model: WD40EZRX). Designed for personal desktops that need energy-efficient, high-capacity storage, the drive offers 4000 GB of unformatted space, which should yield about 3.6 TB under a Windows NTFS file-system. Built in the 3.5-inch form-factor, the drive features SATA 6 Gb/s interface, variable sub-6,000 RPM spindle-speeds, 64 MB cache, and acoustics management. When spinning and idling, the drive is designed to draw about 3.3W, which goes up to 4.5W under stress, and just 0.4W, when the drive is parked and spun-down. Available now, the WD Green 4 TB is priced between $170 and $190, depending on what package you choose.

Currently available on NewEgg for 190$+7$ shipping