OVH Community, your new community space.

Server virtualization plan

andha
14-09-2013, 17:03
Proxmox has some high availability and live migration of OpenVZ containers is nice as it doesnt require shared storage, however im not sure about KVM's and if they would require shared storage to be able to migrate across hosts for HA.

Clustering can be a bit awkward specially if the servers are on seperate subnets as it uses multicast. I ended up setting mine up using an OpenVPN connection between the servers. Not a super simple process when you already have running vms (i ended up making a mistake and lost all my config files for the few vms i had running. Had to rebuild the config then back them up. ) although that bit was my fault for not taking backups in the first place :P

rickyday
14-09-2013, 10:48
Proxmox sounds very good though from the reactions on this thread, will definitely look into it and have a dabble, what kind of DR (Disaster Recovery) and LM (Live Migration) features/tools does it have if any?

Also what about HA (High Availability) clustering? I will google when I get home from work I am not being lazy honest!

rickyday
14-09-2013, 10:45
Windows Server 2012 Hyper V Standalone.

Currently advertised by OVH but not supplied in install manager, only 2008 R2 is available.

Would be nice if OVH could rectify that

cartwright118
14-09-2013, 10:39
+1 for proxmox

LinuxGam
13-09-2013, 20:55
You can run every container on the same IP if you just need private ports, just forward free ports from the host If you need public ports, like 80, 21, 443, then you will need separate IP's.

If most of the servers are private then you could just give them all a local address like 192.168.x.x

I leave all my private servers still open to SHH with Fail2ban installed and decent IPTables rules as maybe I might need to get on them externally. But I never expose their internal ports (MySQL etc)

cascada
13-09-2013, 19:54
From what I read, everyone here agrees that Proxmox is the best solution?
Is there any cons?

Do I need different IP for every container or I can share few IP's?
Thanks!

LinuxGam
13-09-2013, 19:29
Quote Originally Posted by Phixion
I had a play with Proxmox and really liked it.

I think I need to buy some IPs though really for multiple VM containers.
I run Linux and Windows servers, all for one common purpose, i.e IIS, MySQL etc and just add a private network card on same subnet and I have private servers for DB etc with only port 80 facing on the Web. Also I think the amount you lose on proc % for the bare metal hyper visor is very low.

Not just that, to get complete server snapshots every night.. more than makes up for that :-)

Phixion
13-09-2013, 18:56
I had a play with Proxmox and really liked it.

I think I need to buy some IPs though really for multiple VM containers.

LinuxGam
13-09-2013, 18:45
Quote Originally Posted by wii89
Proxmox is the best visualization software I have used. It's free and supports windows and Linux VM's on the same node.

It is so easy to setup and use.
+1, Also if you use KVM where they actually have their own OS you can be confident that it will never affect other VM's. Well... no more than other people on the net can ;-) So if you have ports open etc... its the same deal.

wii89
13-09-2013, 15:25
Proxmox is the best visualization software I have used. It's free and supports windows and Linux VM's on the same node.

It is so easy to setup and use.

cascada
13-09-2013, 15:10
Hi guys and girls,

Can someone suggest good virtualization for development/production purpose. I need different containers for different web projects. In case one site get's compromised it won't affect other sites. I have seen multiple Wordpress sites getting hacked and infected with malware/trojan. This spreads in server like disease.

My plan is to set up one monitoring server, one MySQL server, one e-mail server and give each project its own server (container). If one get's compromised, it won't affect other.
Memory can be shared. But performance penalty has to be as low as possible. I'm using only Linux and BSD. Win32 support is not required.

It has to be easily maintained and configurable.
Also, is it possible to access all containers from machine root, then I could set up malware scanner that scans all files in every container?

Any suggestions?