OVH Community, your new community space.

centos x64 kernel

dragon2611
04-09-2008, 18:39
I might have a go at it when I've got some time to get it right.

Can I put in a request that OVH start offering Modular kernels as an option would make life so much easier for a lot of people.

Felix@OVH
04-09-2008, 12:03
Quote Originally Posted by dragon2611
How would I go about that?
Depends on your server's hardware

A way to create an initrd which should support most, if not even all of our hardware:

Code:
mkinitrd -v -f --with=e100 --with=8139too --with=sis900 --with=via-rhine --with=e1000 --with=r8169 --with=skge --with=sky2 --with=atl1 --with=3w-xxxx --with=scsi_mod --with=sd_mod --with=aic7xxx --with=megaraid --with=sym53c8xx --with=libata --with=sata_sis --with=ata_piix --with=sata_via --with=pata_sis --with=dm-mod --with=dm-mirror --with=raid1 --with=raid0 --with=raid456 --with=dm-crypt --with=mptspi --with=mptsas --with=mptctl --with=ahci --with=via686a /boot/initrd-2.6.xxxxxxxxx.img 2.6.xxxxxxxxx
don't forget to replace xxxxxxxxx by your exact kernel version.

IainK
04-09-2008, 11:41
You also need to make sure you are configuring the modules to be loaded. You can do this with modprobe. Remember since OVH have never used a modular kernel this is probably a step you need to configure.

For further reading type man modprobe in your linux terminal!

dragon2611
03-09-2008, 15:50
Quote Originally Posted by kro
When using the RH kernel, you need to create an initrd using mkinitrd that includes all needed modules. (Network, IDE, RAID, etc)
How would I go about that?
I'm used to the stock system where it would usually just do it all via Yum automatically.

While I have built a kernel before it was admittedly following a howto and again was on a pretty much standard system (nothing special needed)

Felix@OVH
03-09-2008, 15:48
Quote Originally Posted by dragon2611
A stock kernel would fail at the init stage as it can't find the root partition.
When using the RH kernel, you need to create an initrd using mkinitrd that includes all needed modules. (Network, IDE, RAID, etc)

dragon2611
03-09-2008, 15:14
Can anyone advise the best way to setup a modular kernel for centos x64.

Seems i can Never quite manage to build one succesfully, must be doing something wrong.

A stock kernel would fail at the init stage as it can't find the root partition.

Would make life a lot easier if OVH had a kernel that allows modules, need them for vmware server 2 RC2