OVH Community, your new community space.

Oles Tweeted a link to a French update

LinuxGam
27-09-2013, 14:29
Quote Originally Posted by elcct
Not if you use just a motherboard with ARM cpu
You might be missing a screen, keypad, battery, sim reader, transmitter etc.. but other than that, it's just like a phone ;-)

elcct
27-09-2013, 13:49
Not if you use just a motherboard with ARM cpu

Mark1978
27-09-2013, 10:54
To be fair, you could install a server os like linux on a phone. Maybe he will be selling phones permanently connected to the network?
I would think a KS2G is worth significantly less than a phone

elcct
27-09-2013, 10:42
To be fair, you could install a server os like linux on a phone. Maybe he will be selling phones permanently connected to the network?

Kode
27-09-2013, 08:58
But the server industry doesn't work like that. Server is not a phone, unless he just wants to focus on KS offer - personal servers.
I know, doesn't mean he wont do it, he seems to do quite a few things you wouldn't expect.

Misleading SLAs, Dedicated servers under £5, Set all servers to sold out even though they have stock, 2 months to deliver some servers, Increase prices across the board but only inform customer via twitter/forum, change his mind about offers every 5 minutes, so I certainly wouldn't put it past him.

elcct
26-09-2013, 21:41
Quote Originally Posted by Kode
The operative word is could, the more important part is where he talks about how the phones industry works, so this wouldn't be an automatic reduction, you would order a new server, they would call you up to see if you were getting a new server because it's cheaper than the old and only then offer you a reduction on the old.
But the server industry doesn't work like that. Server is not a phone, unless he just wants to focus on KS offer - personal servers.

Kode
26-09-2013, 13:08
Quote Originally Posted by RapidSeeds
Analogy
noun (plural analogies)

a comparison between one thing and another, typically for the purpose of explanation or clarification:
an analogy between the workings of nature and those of human societies
I have no idea if you are agreeing or disagreeing with me there?

RapidSeeds
26-09-2013, 12:51
Quote Originally Posted by Kode
The operative word is could, the more important part is where he talks about how the phones industry works, so this wouldn't be an automatic reduction, you would order a new server, they would call you up to see if you were getting a new server because it's cheaper than the old and only then offer you a reduction on the old.
Analogy
noun (plural analogies)

a comparison between one thing and another, typically for the purpose of explanation or clarification:
an analogy between the workings of nature and those of human societies

Kode
26-09-2013, 10:08
Quote Originally Posted by wii89
"we could offer the old server at the same price as the new one as an incentive"

Now we are getting through to OVH I also had to read that line a few times to see if I'm reading it correctly!

This will reduce turnover quite a lot.

wii89
26-09-2013, 09:35
"we could offer the old server at the same price as the new one as an incentive"

Now we are getting through to OVH I also had to read that line a few times to see if I'm reading it correctly!

This will reduce turnover quite a lot.

elcct
26-09-2013, 08:35

I had to read it few times. It clearly shows Oles has no grasp on how IT projects work. If the business is good, it grows within time - need of a better server is natural.

I am guessing people instead of getting a new server at OVH will just switch to another provider, who will give "new server at the same price"

glidewave
25-09-2013, 22:52
"reflecting both internally and with customers" - Joke.

He got a group to give him 180 Million without even a thought about customer service and ubiquitous company wide procedures, you think he actually gives a toss? Every country, different processes (bad ones), non-informed customer service staff, changing billing/payment methods without notice and on and on. If OVH were a public company, the CEO and/or Chair would have been replaced already. Just my small rant (again), as this isn't new, same ole same ole(s).

NeddySeagoon
25-09-2013, 22:37
I like to operate with the best bang for the buck I can get, fairly close to a fixed price point. My server is really a hobby.

It runs Gentoo (mine not OVHs) builds Gentoo, runs a few VMs, seves a site or two.
I don't need a better server but building stuff faster or running more VMs is always useful.

If I can get more server for about the same cost, of course I'll switch. If the cost were to drop, I still might switch, or get other servers too to keep the hobby investment the same.

What would really interest me would be some non Intel/AMD based hardware

alex
25-09-2013, 22:25
Quote Originally Posted by Phixion
For example, if you are paying £40+ p/m for an old Kimsufi 24G on 100/100Mbps and then you see the mSP is just a few pounds more, 1Gbps/200Mbps up, way better hardware - you'd be mad not to make the switch.
only lazy people will not switch to new servers

Quote Originally Posted by Phixion
OVH should decrease the price of old servers when new ones are released anyway IMO.
you are talking a business plan, in OVH they do run without it!

alex
25-09-2013, 22:23
So why the decision to make them sold out?

Many new customers were enticed by this new range. However, we recorded an abnormally high turnover rate among our existing customers, who decided to order one of the latest generation servers, rather than keeping the servers they already had.
this is not true, as some of us were pushed to purchase the higher range of server and I do have the support tickets for it.

What is turnover?

Turnover is when an existing customer has had a server for less than 2 years and decides to order a new one without renewing the old one. This is normal when the server capacities are insufficient and it struggles, but is undesirable when everything is working fine.
incorrect definition, as should be read the following way:
when we place the carrots for a new bunnies (new customers) some of old customers decided to upgrade for better specification servers for the same price or cheaper, we never thought the business plan properly and this caused the issue of over reacting and out of stock of all service.

Phixion
25-09-2013, 17:59
There are a few problems I see with his plans:

I don't want phone calls from OVH asking me why I'm switching servers.

I switch plans when something better and cheaper comes along, it's not a hard concept to grasp.

People on old servers are left with slower/older hardware and sometimes slower connection speed.

I don't think any incentive will persuade me to stay with old hardware and/or slower connection.

For example, if you are paying £40+ p/m for an old Kimsufi 24G on 100/100Mbps and then you see the mSP is just a few pounds more, 1Gbps/200Mbps up, way better hardware - you'd be mad not to make the switch.

OVH should decrease the price of old servers when new ones are released anyway IMO.

websey
25-09-2013, 16:59
@rapidseeds I see you have made the usual mistake of not reading, or reading and not understanding ! dont be upset this is a mistake children usually make

@vladinc that is what I was getting at

vladinc
25-09-2013, 15:59
its not an update.. its just general talks , about oles being so relaxed , that he is able to stick his head into his backside

RapidSeeds
25-09-2013, 14:48
That is the update, Einstein.

websey
25-09-2013, 14:27
Thanks S0phie,

Its great to see Oles has time to write a interview with himself, if only he could of taken a fraction of that time to offer an update with whats happening so the customers knew as well.

S0phie
25-09-2013, 14:18
Here is the interview in English: http://www.ovh.co.uk/a1186.SoldOut

websey
25-09-2013, 14:01
well now it is 2pm in the afternoon and there is no translation of this interview.

If anyone has the link can you pm me as reposting here will just get it deleted.

not that I am normally paranoid but

This interview is being translated and should be available by tomorrow morning. I removed your link to avoid any misunderstanding.

At the end of the day it is almost the end of september and it will be almost 70 days since I ordered my server,

There has been 3 updates (more in the french forums) no reply from olles from twitter posts (answers french tweets (in regards to servers))

The UK support team have suffered constant abuse from some of the less mature clients of ovh and it seems like they are left on their own to defend against it. their employer (olles) has just left them, with no information to relay to customers.

To be honest I am bored of waiting and if this interview brings more bad news then I will have to leave OVH and I will as far as possible recommend friends/clients random people in the street to stay as far away as possible until Olles has realised how much of a knob he has been

rickyday
25-09-2013, 10:16
Quote Originally Posted by FrenchTart
The guy isn't even on the same world as the rest of us.
He's in the cloud !

Sorry couldn't resist!

FrenchTart
25-09-2013, 08:58
Living in a shell is a very good way to put it. The guy isn't even on the same world as the rest of us.

Myatu
24-09-2013, 19:44
Quote Originally Posted by JakeMS
Okay, so, OVH plan to allow new sales, but limit to 100 servers, and so on until they can see what is going on.. okay no problem

Everyone has to be on automatic renewal now from the translator, but that could be a translation issue. This would be bad for us, as we cannot guarantee the money will be in the bank on a set date, however we have never missed a bill in 7 months + always pay early.. as long as they leave an option to disable this, everything will be okay..

but aside from that I see no real big issues, unless I missed something?
To me, it seems seems like Oles has not taken on board a single suggestion made in the long-winded thread he opened for "feedback", with the exception of the quote that OVH is its own competitor. Not sure what the other forums suggested though.

But "retention offers" when someone tries to cancel a server is a "too little, too late" thing for me. If I want to cancel, the decision has been made and is final. If they are going to pair these offers with orders of a new replacement server, that would become more of a nuisance to me. I don't want a call from OVH, going on about some offer: "if you keep the old server, then maybe, please, will you change your mind about getting the new server? Please? Because we really can't be bothered to install the new server for you... Think of the poor kittens!".

Then there's this reference of "testing" to the "sold-out" period, without any ETA for when he's done playing around with (potential) customers. Not to mention that if his "test" isn't to is liking, he stated he'll be doing this again. No ETA? Chance of this being done again? Without notice?

I can understand that when a new product flops, you try various methods and marketing ploys to get at least some ROI before scrapping it. But to mess about with a successful product and its customers is just plain madness to me.

Good to hear that Oles is calm and is not worried about the financial hit he's taking. But that statement shows to me that he's living in a shell - there's no concern for how this might be affecting his customers, or even his lenders.

LinuxGam
24-09-2013, 17:41
Quote Originally Posted by LawsHosting
Hope so, I rarely let companies store my card numbers..
They might let you do a standing order to their account with some kind of reference number. My old (albeit much smaller) hosting company did that.

LawsHosting
24-09-2013, 17:23
Quote Originally Posted by JakeMS
Everyone has to be on automatic renewal now from the translator, but that could be a translation issue.
Hope so, I rarely let companies store my card numbers..

JakeMS
24-09-2013, 17:00
Okay, so, OVH plan to allow new sales, but limit to 100 servers, and so on until they can see what is going on.. okay no problem

Everyone has to be on automatic renewal now from the translator, but that could be a translation issue. This would be bad for us, as we cannot guarantee the money will be in the bank on a set date, however we have never missed a bill in 7 months + always pay early.. as long as they leave an option to disable this, everything will be okay..

but aside from that I see no real big issues, unless I missed something?

rickyday
24-09-2013, 16:43
Oles is very calm

wii89
24-09-2013, 15:09
Quote Originally Posted by Myatu
I did read it though. It went from okay to bad to worse.
had to use google translator to read it but as myatu said it was ok --> bad --> worse

+1

LawsHosting
24-09-2013, 15:01
I wish they'd add a "favourite followed's" to Trillian's Twitter plug-in - as I follow hundreds, I miss tweet's that are useful or important.

Myatu
24-09-2013, 14:40
I did read it though. It went from okay to bad to worse.

S0phie
24-09-2013, 10:40
This interview is being translated and should be available by tomorrow morning. I removed your link to avoid any misunderstanding.

LinuxGam
24-09-2013, 09:37
If you want a not too badly Google Translated blog style post about the rationale behind the "Sold Out" episode

Appoligies if this had already been posted, I didn't see it anywhere.

LG