OVH Community, your new community space.

Single Server Backup Strategy

ctype_alnum
26-09-2013, 07:16
Depends what the data is and what os you are using. If the data is being generated from website users for example that changes how you would this.

serverbros
25-09-2013, 18:38
I'd highly recommend r1softlicenses.com - We have 4 MSP servers (each agent license is only $8 per month)

The way ours is set up server A backs up to server B then B to A .....pretty good and utilizes internal transfer speeds should we ever need to do a full restore

Tiggywiggler
25-09-2013, 15:49
Thank you for this information. I would be happy doing the operating system using third party software but the database backups would be generated from within Microsoft SQL Server using the maintenance job controller so using third party software isn't an option unless you backup into a local location and then allow the third party software to then copy that, and that feels a bit messy to me.

Thank you all for your comments though, much appreciated.

Andy
25-09-2013, 13:30
I use software called SyncBackSE which is very good for making backups over FTP, and it will do incremental (to an extent of only transferring changed files not just portions of a file). Has worked great for me for many years. I also do local backup machine archiving so I have a few days kept. I run daily backups of 25GB of data.

Tiggywiggler
25-09-2013, 12:56
My plan is to have a monthly system backup which is relatively infrequent, the primary, active server will take hourly SQL Server backups (data) and I would like to backup to the remote server once a day.

I would like the ability to do incremental backups if possible. I just thought that it would be easier for the servers to be able to talk directly rather than over the WAN connection so that Windows could do the remote backup easier. Doing backups over FTP with large file sizes (>2GB) can be difficult under certain circumstances.

Mark1978
25-09-2013, 12:48
Depends how big your backups are going to be? Are you talking about backing up your data or backing up the entire machine - in which case virtualisation is perhaps the way to go?

OVH do some nice backup servers with lots of space but for a single machine then a cheaper server would probably suffice.

No need for vrack, just remember you're going to have to configure the firewall on your backup server as to only allow access from the source server.

Tiggywiggler
25-09-2013, 12:39
Thank you very much.

Andy
25-09-2013, 12:09
No need for the private rack option if you purchase a 2nd as a backup.

Personally I backup to my home server as it's very rare I need to restore. This is all well and good if you have a good upload speed (like BT's Infinity with 20Mbps) but is useless otherwise. I have 800Kbps upload lol. Not ideal but for a few GB it's OK. The other 5TB of data has to go via a friends faster connection.

Tiggywiggler
25-09-2013, 12:05
Hello everyone,

I have been looking at OVH for months as it was recommended to me. I understand that we are waiting for the restructure before we can buy any more servers but I am looking to buy an M64G-R SSD server but I want to have external backup.

I know that we can have FTP storage but that is only 100GB and will not be big enough for the database so my current options are to have a NAS or another server.

Which approach would you say is best please?
Is it possible to do a complete system restore from both approaches?
If I use another server as the backup source do I need to purchase the private rack option as well please?

Thank you in advance.

Craig