OVH Community, your new community space.

[question for OVH] the technician are stupid or clueless???

Phixion
29-09-2013, 23:22
Sounds like this to me: http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6802

alex
29-09-2013, 00:17
Quote Originally Posted by LinuxGam
How did you know it was the network and wasn't frozen therefore needed a hard reboot. I have given up on my mSP as non stop freezes

What server do you have?
exactly the same mSP running very low amount of VPS, around 12 - all very small projects.

Great news, I have managed to recover the data

If an engineer had to spend time fully diagnosing your issue, they'd never get through all the "down" servers in a day - or they'd need to hire more manpower, in which case you'll be moaning again that the prices are going up.
I am not stating to do the full diagnose - sometimes their cleaner walking with mop and unplugging the servers and causing the downtimes
On serious note the issue can be faulty cable, network card, ets. but it doesn't mean need to restart the server.

LinuxGam
28-09-2013, 21:49
Quote Originally Posted by alex
I am not changed anything on the server and again the server connection is down. Can be the faulty network card.
How did you know it was the network and wasn't frozen therefore needed a hard reboot. I have given up on my mSP as non stop freezes

What server do you have?

alex
28-09-2013, 21:03
Quote Originally Posted by LinuxGam
How did it lose connection out of interest? Literally pulling the cable out or you changed the Interface or IPTables settings?
I am not changed anything on the server and again the server connection is down. Can be the faulty network card.

LinuxGam
28-09-2013, 19:24
My experience so far is they reboot when it's not responding to KVM and if it is they message me and ask if they can reboot. If its the former then a reboot is the only fix anyway.

Myatu
28-09-2013, 19:20
Quote Originally Posted by alex
Technician normally investigate the issue first and contact the customer before reboot the server, oh sorry forgot they're French - no communication
Unless you're new to OVH, incidents have always started with a reboot to see if that resolves the issue.

This is the quickest fix to most of the problems that people create, particularly when you're managing 150K servers.

If an engineer had to spend time fully diagnosing your issue, they'd never get through all the "down" servers in a day - or they'd need to hire more manpower, in which case you'll be moaning again that the prices are going up.

Besides, data loss is to be expected on any server, so you ensure that you have some guards against that. If the PSU or CPU failed and shut down the server, you're not going to yell "The PSU/CPU is stupid!" as well, are you?

LinuxGam
28-09-2013, 19:19
How did it lose connection out of interest? Literally pulling the cable out or you changed the Interface or IPTables settings?

alex
28-09-2013, 18:58
Quote Originally Posted by Myatu
You're barking up the wrong tree there, pal.
Technician normally investigate the issue first and contact the customer before reboot the server, oh sorry forgot they're French - no communication

Myatu
28-09-2013, 17:34
You're barking up the wrong tree there, pal.

ExW
28-09-2013, 17:32
This is normal procedure, if you don't want ovh technicians rebooting your server, disable monitoring from your control panel and resolve issues via tickets.

alex
28-09-2013, 14:51
Hi all,

Today on of my server lost connection, instead of check the connection the technicians rebooted the server, as the server is running VPS accounts, all VPS became offline and one of VM lost the data as some unprofessional person in your dc pressed restart button instead of investigate the issue of network loss.

Do you test your technician on knowledge of server technology? Or you pickup anyone from the street without any knowledge of server technology or customer service?