OVH Community, your new community space.

Using my own FULL Windows 2008 Standard R2 License?

mr. pineapple
24-11-2013, 23:55
If this helps, I'm a student and I use the licenses I get from dreamspark/MSDNAA they work fine for me

K-Xander
24-11-2013, 11:36
I am aware that drivers will be wiped.

How about Raid 1 Software, do I need to set that when re-installing or it's going to be added automatically?

Andy
22-11-2013, 00:48
All drives on the server will get wiped to my knowledge. USB keys I don't know but my USB HDD didn't when I had one. FTP backup will not be deleted.

K-Xander
21-11-2013, 14:20
Quote Originally Posted by glidewave
Go to Manager, Choose your dedi server, then go to Dedicated servers -> Services -> Windows Licence -> Assign the Windows SPLA license -> Add a new licence and select Windows, then enter your license number and click validate. Once set, you have to then go and reimage your server with the correct version of Windows for the key you entered (server will be completely erased).

You must do a reimage to use your own key via ovh. There are other ways, but are difficult and annoying processes, hence some users on here provide it as a service for a nominal fee as they've worked out how to do it reliably without OVH's methods.
I am planning to do a reinstall soon and I would like to know what steps I need to do in order to keep my software raid 1 with the new windows installation. My key will be a VLK (MAK_B)

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

PS: I currently got 2x SSD in software raid1. Once I reinstall windows both SDD will be completly erased right? Also, I suppose the backup USB key and FTP backup account won't be affected by this?

K-Xander
26-10-2013, 16:07
People are using their dreamspark and msdn licenses just fine as they have told.

Also my license has been bought directly from Microsoft too.

rickyday
26-10-2013, 15:20
Quote Originally Posted by K-Xander
I'm not planning to cheat and why should I do that?
Because only a SPLA license is valid for use on your dedicated server officially by OVH.

You can purchase one of these if you contact a Microsoft Partner or enroll into the Microsoft Partner Network.

K-Xander
26-10-2013, 14:56
I'm not planning to cheat and why should I do that?

Just want to have my license key added to the OVH panel and I will install the windows with my own key when I will be ready. For the moment I cannot afford the downtime of reinstalling.

raxxeh
26-10-2013, 14:46
Retail, bought it through Microsoft in bulk
If you're crafty you can cheat and just install windows -> dd the disk onto another server (image backup) -> reinstall linux -> cancel windows, reboot rescue and dd the image back onto the disks.

Probably not a good idea to cheat like that though.

K-Xander
26-10-2013, 14:02
Retail, bought it through Microsoft in bulk

rickyday
26-10-2013, 11:44
I have added my license and for now I get this message http://prntscr.com/1zp2jz
I need to wait for OVH to verify my license first?

I still have an active windows license and I don't want to use my own key yet until I will be ready. I just want to have my windows server 2008 key added there and verified without reinstall for the moment.
What type of key is it?

VLK/MAK/SPLA/DREAMSPARK/WEBSITESPARK/RETAIL??

K-Xander
25-10-2013, 23:28
I have added my license and for now I get this message http://prntscr.com/1zp2jz
I need to wait for OVH to verify my license first?

I still have an active windows license and I don't want to use my own key yet until I will be ready. I just want to have my windows server 2008 key added there and verified without reinstall for the moment.

theatheist
11-10-2013, 23:59
winstaller.org is good.

glidewave
09-10-2013, 22:12
Go to Manager, Choose your dedi server, then go to Dedicated servers -> Services -> Windows Licence -> Assign the Windows SPLA license -> Add a new licence and select Windows, then enter your license number and click validate. Once set, you have to then go and reimage your server with the correct version of Windows for the key you entered (server will be completely erased).

You must do a reimage to use your own key via ovh. There are other ways, but are difficult and annoying processes, hence some users on here provide it as a service for a nominal fee as they've worked out how to do it reliably without OVH's methods.

RikT
09-10-2013, 11:47
So can I use the OVH windows installation for my key? Doesn't that installation comes with own ovh key?

I saw different articles that you need to install your own copy of windows when using your own key and in this case you would either need KVM over IP or some websites that can install windows through rescue mode only.

Anyone who uses his own key can please reply?

Thanks
You have to add your own key to the manager then you can select windows install and check the box at the bottom to use your key

K-Xander
09-10-2013, 11:36
So can I use the OVH windows installation for my key? Doesn't that installation comes with own ovh key?

I saw different articles that you need to install your own copy of windows when using your own key and in this case you would either need KVM over IP or some websites that can install windows through rescue mode only.

Anyone who uses his own key can please reply?

Thanks

Kacotet
03-10-2013, 23:21
Now, I wonder, do i need KVM over ip to install windows and then add my license key?
No. Access the control panel and add the key then install Windows.

K-Xander
03-10-2013, 17:48
Oh well, atleast I can use my license legally.

Now, I wonder, do i need KVM over ip to install windows and then add my license key?

Btw, thanks for the answers guys.

marks
03-10-2013, 13:24
But can't I just give access to an OVH tech and give him my own license details and approve it? I want to avoid reinstall just because of downtime and all the stress with backing up all data then add all data back on the server. Also as mentioned, my license is FULL not SPLA
yes, unfortunately we cannot do so. Servers are unmanaged, so it would not just be about sending an engineer to do it but also the legal implications of doing it.

Unfortunately, you have to reinstall

RikT
03-10-2013, 00:25
But can't I just give access to an OVH tech and give him my own license details and approve it? I want to avoid reinstall just because of downtime and all the stress with backing up all data then add all data back on the server. Also as mentioned, my license is FULL not SPLA

Its not he way it works with OVH I am afraid you will have to reinstall using your own license key

K-Xander
02-10-2013, 17:42

marks
02-10-2013, 13:43
So I can use my own FULL license key?

Also you're saying I need to reinstall and then that I can add it to existing installation.

I would like to use my own + replace current one without reinstalling. Hopefully someone can give me a green light here.
if you've got the OVH Windows installation with an OVH license, we would need you to reinstall into Linux so we can cancel the license (otherwise, we can't tell if you're using your own or our license). Afterwards, you can reinstall using an SPLA license and you'll be fine.

Sorry but to remove a Windows license from a server so you're not charged anymore, we need the server OS to be a non-windows one.

K-Xander
02-10-2013, 12:07
Quote Originally Posted by macole111
No sorry if I didn't make it clear, you only need to run the commands on an existing installation like yours, no need to reinstall. As long as the key is valid for the same version that is installed it should work.

-macole111
I have Windows 2008 Standard Edition R2 already installed and the key is for Windows 2008 Standard Edition R2 too, just that the license is FULL and not SPLA (paid monthly)

macole111
02-10-2013, 09:29
No sorry if I didn't make it clear, you only need to run the commands on an existing installation like yours, no need to reinstall. As long as the key is valid for the same version that is installed it should work.

-macole111

K-Xander
02-10-2013, 09:16
So I can use my own FULL license key?

Also you're saying I need to reinstall and then that I can add it to existing installation.

I would like to use my own + replace current one without reinstalling. Hopefully someone can give me a green light here.

macole111
02-10-2013, 08:42
As far as we can tell any licence works in the SPLA box so you can try this, you'll have to reinstall though.

Adding a key to an existing installation is easy though, just run this in an admin cmd:

slmgr.vbs -ipk "product key"

And then this to activate it:

slui.exe
Or
slui.exe 4
If you want telephone activation.

Hope this helps.

-macole111

K-Xander
02-10-2013, 00:57
Hello, I have a full Windows 2008 Standard R2 license FULL, not SPLA. Can I use it with ovh as my dedicated server license and not pay +30 EUR extra for current license?

Also, can I add my key without reinstalling operating system, just replace the current one?