OVH Community, your new community space.

Octave left the Anti-DDOS ML?

gregoryfenton
20-10-2013, 10:26
Quote Originally Posted by Myatu
Anyhow, I'll be around in the forums though.
/me hits the like button

K-Xander
19-10-2013, 23:33
I wonder if Oles even readed this thread or cares about it ...

Myatu
16-10-2013, 02:20
Quote Originally Posted by rickyday
Myatu is/was the most helpful Linux clued up member of these forums by far, other oldies try to help but don't have the expertise Myatu has.
Though I do appreciate that, I'm quite sure there are plenty of others who are better clued up than I am, but just don't have the time or patience to answer the questions. I could easily spend an hour here, trying to figure out possible a solution - someone else might rather want to spend that time on their own server

What makes this whole affair even more comical is OVH were looking for volunteers to assist with technical questions that forum users may have, but I think that scheme is well and truly dead in the water now after the way OVH have conducted and handled themselves over the last few months, and the blatant lack of keeping us updated and the poor communication.
That is true, and I had signed up for that programme. It was put on hold with the introduction with the new KS range and subsequent fallout from it. Although the programme is in essence separated from OVH's services, it would still require a line of communication between me and OVH. With the recent events, as well as those in the past, I can already see that this will become a very difficult thing. If I am the point of contact for a client, that in turn will reflect on me.

I would like to stress that OVH UK Support are top notch, but half the time they are as much in the dark as we are.
I agree with that 100%. It is unfortunate that they are the ones that will have to deal with Oles' antics. Hope they haven't used up all their holiday entitlement for the year yet!

Anyhow, I'll be around in the forums though.

rickyday
16-10-2013, 01:43
Quote Originally Posted by ctype_alnum
I saw this earlier https://twitter.com/olesovhcom/statu...647680/photo/1 I am a little confused to see they have more capacity coming up even though theres customers leaving and a big problem with provision
I think they are going to fill it up with cheese!!

rickyday
16-10-2013, 01:39
Quote Originally Posted by Jasgriff
It's not just the servers though is it.

Mytau you are well known for your support and I have no doubt many questions have been answered without tickets needing to be raised.
Myatu is/was the most helpful Linux clued up member of these forums by far, other oldies try to help but don't have the expertise Myatu has.

OVH have lost a valuable asset to these forums, I think everyones patience now is running thin unfortunately.

What makes this whole affair even more comical is OVH were looking for volunteers to assist with technical questions that forum users may have, but I think that scheme is well and truly dead in the water now after the way OVH have conducted and handled themselves over the last few months, and the blatant lack of keeping us updated and the poor communication.

I would like to stress that OVH UK Support are top notch, but half the time they are as much in the dark as we are.

ctype_alnum
16-10-2013, 00:12
I saw this earlier https://twitter.com/olesovhcom/statu...647680/photo/1 I am a little confused to see they have more capacity coming up even though theres customers leaving and a big problem with provision

Jasgriff
16-10-2013, 00:10
It's just what's still left to expire and the blog. I have three servers left with OVH. They're already transferred to another provider, so they're just sitting around at the moment. One is those KS 16G 2x1TB servers, but OVH is murky about transferring that one, so I'll just let it expire with the rest...
It's not just the servers though is it.

Mytau you are well known for your support and I have no doubt many questions have been answered without tickets needing to be raised.

ctype_alnum
16-10-2013, 00:08
It's just what's still left to expire and the blog. I have three servers left with OVH. They're already transferred to another provider, so they're just sitting around at the moment. One is those KS 16G 2x1TB servers, but OVH is murky about transferring that one, so I'll just let it expire with the rest...
Fair enough.

Myatu
16-10-2013, 00:05
Quote Originally Posted by ctype_alnum
So by that logic you no longer host with OVH right?

Jasgriff
15-10-2013, 23:47
That made for some very interesting reading

ctype_alnum
15-10-2013, 23:47
That last remark about Dassault wasn't about maximizing profit, but to put Oles' possible fear at ease about having some outside input other than the select few (founding) shareholders they may have currently.

But frankly, I don't give a flying *explicative* about what Oles does now as personally I'm no longer interested in the company's current or future offers. Price-wise they may be competitive, but headache-wise, they're in the lead by far.
So by that logic you no longer host with OVH right?

randomguy
15-10-2013, 23:33
Quote Originally Posted by LawsHosting
Well, you woudn't would you, you're in France, problems are from elsewhere.
He does like saying "no issue on my side" a lot. It proves that he thinks everything is working because it is for him.
It's nigh-pointless to try and engage him unless you're at least fluent in French. I hadn't posted here in a long time and went back looking at my previous posts, found this thread back from 2008 which, I think, was when I first had an OVH server:

http://forums.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1094

Seems like not all that much has changed.

Myatu
15-10-2013, 23:23
Quote Originally Posted by randomguy
Also don't see how the maximize profit ideology that would automatically come with it is beneficial to us, the consumers.
That last remark about Dassault wasn't about maximizing profit, but to put Oles' possible fear at ease about having some outside input other than the select few (founding) shareholders they may have currently.

But frankly, I don't give a flying *explicative* about what Oles does now as personally I'm no longer interested in the company's current or future offers. Price-wise they may be competitive, but headache-wise, they're in the lead by far.

randomguy
15-10-2013, 23:11
Just wondering why his father, who's the chairman of the board, hasn't put his foot down over the lunacy of Oles. Granted, being a private company has its advantages, such as "keeping it in the family" and having more control over what happens with it. But its just that control that is working against them - the company is too big to operate like that, and needs outside pressure (shareholders) to ensure it stays on the right path. Maybe it should be publicly listed instead. It worked well for Dassault, if he needs to look for some French inspiration.
While he might be the chairman, I think Octave as a proclaimed founder of the company probably owns a (simple?) majority of the shares. Also I would disagree that a business needs to go public. Just because OVH isn't traded at a stock exchange doesn't mean there are no shareholders and no pressure.

Also don't see how the maximize profit ideology that would automatically come with it is beneficial to us, the consumers.

LawsHosting
13-10-2013, 19:21
Going a tad Off-topic: To be honest, I'm surprised this forum isn't more busier now that support for KS is forum only.
Surely not everyone is like me, major issues crop up every few years with mine (touch wood).

By the way, has this ML closed? I'm not seeing any activity since last night.

TheGeekster
13-10-2013, 12:24
Quote Originally Posted by alex
French very laid back people and majority time don't give a f*u*c*k, the second after OVH of most incompetent company is: pixmania.co.uk or pixmania.com or any other domain names.

I can't believe how they managed to get the loan of $180m for the project in Canada....
This, this is why I'm not suprised they don't worry about checking the forums.

alex
12-10-2013, 22:42
French very laid back people and majority time don't give a f*u*c*k, the second after OVH of most incompetent company is: pixmania.co.uk or pixmania.com or any other domain names.

I can't believe how they managed to get the loan of $180m for the project in Canada....

Myatu
12-10-2013, 19:28
Just wondering why his father, who's the chairman of the board, hasn't put his foot down over the lunacy of Oles. Granted, being a private company has its advantages, such as "keeping it in the family" and having more control over what happens with it. But its just that control that is working against them - the company is too big to operate like that, and needs outside pressure (shareholders) to ensure it stays on the right path. Maybe it should be publicly listed instead. It worked well for Dassault, if he needs to look for some French inspiration.

LawsHosting
12-10-2013, 19:16
All I'm seeing now is posts there stating people will be migrating away....

Then on his twitter:
"no issue on my side."
etc....

Well, you woudn't would you, you're in France, problems are from elsewhere.
He does like saying "no issue on my side" a lot. It proves that he thinks everything is working because it is for him.

shadow
12-10-2013, 18:21
He really needs to step down as CEO and get somebody whose actually competent in running a business in.

LinuxGam
12-10-2013, 08:00
Quote Originally Posted by Trapper
As these people have a boss, it is down to them to ensure that their immediate boss knows about the problems they have, and that solutions are provided. I have been on both sides of that, and it works if implemented properly
I totally agree, in a typical pyramid style company, and once you get this large there is no other way of doing it to be honest. I have worked for some of the biggest companies in the world and the delivery manager will go into a board meeting ****ting himself/herself, to tell the CEO they have run out of hardware and people are complaining. That will be the first the CEO will hear about it and probably will go nuts for their bad management/processes.

Never in my life in a company this large have I seen the delivery manager/team, not be able to give an update until the CEO posts a twitter comment? Are you f**king kidding me?

Your theory is right for most companies, but it appears there is no delegation of power and everyone looking up is seeing only one monkeys butt hole.

Trapper
12-10-2013, 00:45
Quote Originally Posted by LinuxGam
However, the poor people that get the sharp end of the stick are the customer support staff that man the forums and the phones whilst being under staffed and under huge pressure. In my opinion they have done as good a job as possible with the sh*t unorganised situation they have been forced into.
I agree with most of what you said, but anyone working in a customer facing role, always has an "up channel". This has not been used. (See "tree of monkeys" below.) As these people have a boss, it is down to them to ensure that their immediate boss knows about the problems they have, and that solutions are provided. I have been on both sides of that, and it works if implemented properly

I had an issue, for which I requested a (very minor) refund, purely for the principle. I battered poor S0phie about it, especially when emails went un-answered for over a week. Eventually she instructed me to email Oles on the dDoS list. I did that, he never answered, and now he has left the list.

Personally, I do not think he should have been on it in the first place. He should have minions for that - whether he is actually doing the work or not.

Maybe now I need to email S0phie again....

~Trap

A Company is like a tree full of monkeys... It does not matter how high you are in the tree, if you look down all you see is Monkeys, if you look up all you see is a**holes.

alex
12-10-2013, 00:09
Quote Originally Posted by LinuxGam
My short experience thus far with OVH is: They obviously are pushing boundaries with volume, automation, new systems, cutting edge hardware and price reduction because of this innovation, and that's great!

However, their understanding/caring of the customer as a business or as a real person is often poor. Their communication on a public level, i.e changes in policy etc, announcements, anything, is appalling, and their 1st level technicians updating of notes and customer care is bad. A reboot to fix a hardware freeze for the 20x in a row, may stop it going over the SLA... but it shouldn't, not if they know it's a hardware issue.. but I digress.

However, the poor people that get the sharp end of the stick are the customer support staff that man the forums and the phones whilst being under staffed and under huge pressure. In my opinion they have done as good a job as possible with the sh*t unorganised situation they have been forced into.

There are clearly some very talented techies running this company, now lets get someone that understands business, customers and the real world on board. We are way past the volume of customers to change policy if you have a funny dream about it the night before.
very good comments and I agree with you.

NeddySeagoon
11-10-2013, 22:17
It was a well known saying in Ferranti during the 1970's and its probably true for OVH now too.

A company run by engineers never makes a profit ...
A company run by accountants never makes anything.

The business managers and techies need one another to make OVH work again.

LinuxGam
11-10-2013, 18:42
My short experience thus far with OVH is: They obviously are pushing boundaries with volume, automation, new systems, cutting edge hardware and price reduction because of this innovation, and that's great!

However, their understanding/caring of the customer as a business or as a real person is often poor. Their communication on a public level, i.e changes in policy etc, announcements, anything, is appalling, and their 1st level technicians updating of notes and customer care is bad. A reboot to fix a hardware freeze for the 20x in a row, may stop it going over the SLA... but it shouldn't, not if they know it's a hardware issue.. but I digress.

There are clearly some very talented techies running this company, now lets get someone that understands business, customers and the real world on board. We are way past the volume of customers to change policy if you have a funny dream about it the night before.

LawsHosting
11-10-2013, 17:33
Oles is running a business, which he expects to turn a profit at some point. Launching a service (such as VAC) and putting it into production, without providing support through proper channels (eg. Support, on Manager) and then leaving the list because he doesn't like the behaviour - leaving it totally unsupported does not cause people to have faith in OVH as a business. When people do not have faith in a business, they do not purchase service from said business.

It's one thing putting a beta service into production and providing support, it's entirely a different thing when said service is totally unsupported and enabled for everyone (but if something goes wrong, you can't get SLA credits) and then taking your ball and go home.

I think that if OVH wants to run a viable business, the people that are running it need to investigate how they roll out, communicate and support new features to customers.
Couldn't had said it better myself.

cartwright118
11-10-2013, 06:56
We might get a new business plan quicker now?

JakeMS
10-10-2013, 21:34
Then he should've thought about this, the mailing list is public, so everyone will sign up! I don't run a mailing list or know the software, but surely there could be a way to vet subscribers - saying that, public is public, people will post anything regardless of rules.
You can indeed "vet" subscribers if using software such as mailman[1], you can set the mailing list to "moderated signup" so only users who get approved by admins are able to post/signup.

Additionally, you can block/delete users who cause trouble (Though this can be bypassed by a change of email/ip address)

And lastly, if all hits the fan, you can set the list to moderated, which means, each post needs to be moderated before it gets sent.

[1] http://www.list.org/

Jasgriff
10-10-2013, 20:32
Then he should've thought about this, the mailing list is public, so everyone will sign up! I don't run a mailing list or know the software, but surely there could be a way to vet subscribers - saying that, public is public, people will post anything regardless of rules.
Agreed,

I am sure if he looked through all of the feedback he would have probably found that a lot of the comments and suggestions were the same so he should have resolved these issues to stop the majority of the poor quality feedback.

He hasn't even done the most basic of things like email you when the vac kicks in? put a big button on your manager so that you know your in the vac. This way if there was an issue they wouldn't ask if it was the vac first.

LawsHosting
10-10-2013, 20:25
Quote Originally Posted by vm1990
theres actually a useful invention for people asking stupid questions its a big-ass button called a ban hammer

vm1990
10-10-2013, 20:09
iv seen this on alot of forums where people have been offering to help people and people on the forums are to stupid to do 10 seconds worth of research to find an answer

theres actually a useful invention for people asking stupid questions its a big-ass button called a ban hammer

LawsHosting
10-10-2013, 20:01
Quote Originally Posted by Someone
Hello everyone,
As we saw Oles unsubscribed from the Group because he got pissed from some members here who just keep posting the same problem every day or they don't provide complete information about their problem and keep spamming every day.
Now who will check our bugs and issue with the DDoS service?
The support @ OVH doesn't support or help tickets about DDoS and they simply refer to contact the mailing list.
The DDoS service is still in beta and it still needs more time and most people in this group report bugs and problems with this service and at the end it is good for OVH to make the service better and more stable. Not all the people here are professional, we are simple clients who just report the problems which we face with our Anti DDoS service and we need help.
So who will help us now?
What? Has he really got that short of a temper?

Maybe it's a good sign? Maybe he'll get his bum in gear with OVH's new strategy?