OVH Community, your new community space.

Jumbo frames & OVH's network (9000 MTU)

raxxeh
12-10-2013, 23:45
yeah, this is between two 10 gigabit servers this time Myatu.... the nics most def do support jumbo, so it's the network thats refusing it at the moment...

can you fix it OVH?

Myatu
12-10-2013, 16:18
It's not just as simple as setting the MTU to a higher value. The switches will need to support it, as well as the NIC. This in turn is down to the firmware, and having enabled it first. For example, the RT8168E can do the 9K jumbo frames, but the "infamous" RT8168B can not.

rickyday
12-10-2013, 15:25
Is OVHs network configured to support Jumbo Frames? The switches have to be configured don't they to allow the frames through?

Have to admit I am certainly no expert on Jumbo Frames though!

raxxeh
12-10-2013, 10:59
Hello,

Recently I've been experimenting again, as I did a year ago when I initially upgraded to a 10gbps server, and I have found that 9000 MTU still doesn't appear to work on the network.

Is there a specific reason to this? I can connect to everything that isn't running a 9000 MTU just fine, but if I'm connecting to another machine running 9000 MTU, neither can establish a connection.

Is there something I'm missing here? I'm pretty sure it's just the MTU change and thats it to get jumbo frames working, no?