OVH Community, your new community space.

6/8 - DS 2014: KS Personal servers

Jasgriff
31-10-2013, 09:26
Quote Originally Posted by TheGeekster
As long as you renew the contract, they have no reason to "end" the server as such, you signed up for a rolling contract and only if you don't pay or break that can they stop the server. (As far as I'm aware) so your safe
I would have thought the same but they were still allowed to increase the prices and change the terms of everybody's servers last month so I cant see why they couldn't do it again.

TheGeekster
31-10-2013, 00:42
Quote Originally Posted by richdotward
Now I'm confused. Ks, PS, personal server, students only, 3 month ..... What exactly will happen to my current ks2 server? I was planning on keeping for years to come, already almost half way through my paid 6 months. Will I be forced to lose it or expected to upgrade to a bigger one after 3 months ?

Like many I wanted a simple cheap, no support server for my personal use only. Not going to be buying a business one .... Would just buy a HP microserver for the house.

Rich
As long as you renew the contract, they have no reason to "end" the server as such, you signed up for a rolling contract and only if you don't pay or break that can they stop the server. (As far as I'm aware) so your safe

uk2013
30-10-2013, 21:17
Whats happening to Dedicated CDN, VPS and Cloud are they staying or are they not going to be offered with the changes?

Jasgriff
30-10-2013, 09:10
Ricky you know as soon as they re open the doors for the new servers they will be flooded with orders I wish they actually cared about existing customers.

If this was any other company I would say there is no chance they will touch the existing KS customers but this is OVH wouldn't surprise me if they just cancelled them or doubled the price.

As for virtual hugs you need to go back to bed ha.

rickyday
30-10-2013, 08:56
All I can say is well done to the people that managed to grab 3 x Kimsufi 2G servers when they had the chance!

Doesn't look like my 3 are an option now, which makes me value my 2 x Kimsufi 4G servers even more, in fact I love them soo much I am going to give them a big virtual hug, and you just wait and see the virtual love my mSP is going to get later.

All I can say is OVH better not start putting prices up of existing servers up to ridiculous prices as I will be following Myatu if that happens, I will be offski if the pricing gets ridiculous, so please think very hard and careful about what you do OVH because if ridiculous price increases are rolled out I will be offski and that will be that.

richdotward
30-10-2013, 06:07
Now I'm confused. Ks, PS, personal server, students only, 3 month ..... What exactly will happen to my current ks2 server? I was planning on keeping for years to come, already almost half way through my paid 6 months. Will I be forced to lose it or expected to upgrade to a bigger one after 3 months ?

Like many I wanted a simple cheap, no support server for my personal use only. Not going to be buying a business one .... Would just buy a HP microserver for the house.

Rich

Jasgriff
29-10-2013, 17:56
Agreed there cant be much grown in them that's why he has put the price up by 300% in 3 months now there wont be growth lol.

antdgar
29-10-2013, 17:32
Quote Originally Posted by Trapper
I hope I can get at least three machines from this range.

~Trap
we will limit it to one PS per customer
1 per customer.

Trapper
29-10-2013, 17:17
Quote Originally Posted by shadow
Firstly, you mention:

"The server still has a single hard disk that is big enough with a good network connection of 100Mbps. No IP any more and no option."

Are you saying the personal server has no IP address or is that a poor translation? I'm wondering myself how it'd be possible to offer a server without an IP address.
Should read no additional IP's

'The PS will have its own manager but no AP. One unique identifier for each server.'

What's an AP?
API

I think the real question is about the range... Here he says 2, on OVH.com/US they list three..

Also to say "there is no growth" and "stagnant" is worrying, were most of the problems getting KS2's because there was an explosion in growth of £3 servers...

These servers would also make great Name Servers, for those of us who would like to have machines dedicated to this role. I hope I can get at least three machines from this range.

~Trap

mike_
29-10-2013, 16:04
Quote Originally Posted by ShadowNet

Looking Good. :_)
Seems to be their default page for new domains.

ShadowNet
29-10-2013, 15:57
S.Y.S <- French

Looking Good. :_)

Tz-OVH
29-10-2013, 15:46
It's fixed to say API now.

Neil
29-10-2013, 15:44
This is the news I've been waiting to hear about, and naturally there are some questions.

Firstly, you mention:

"The server still has a single hard disk that is big enough with a good network connection of 100Mbps. No IP any more and no option."

Are you saying the personal server has no IP address or is that a poor translation? I'm wondering myself how it'd be possible to offer a server without an IP address.

"Initially reserved as a student offer with €5 p/m and limited for the time of study."

This sounds delightful on paper, however, I'm wondering what system you're going to use to 'police' those who are in active study. Will it be like Spotify where we use our university's provided email address to sign up, or will there be another awful proofing procedure that requires you to provide unnecessary documents?

'The PS will have its own manager but no AP. One unique identifier for each server.'

What's an AP?
Quote Originally Posted by chris6273
What on earth is AP?

What will be the specifications for the PS-1?
1 IP Address as currently and it was typo, it will have its own manager but no API.

chris6273
29-10-2013, 15:31
Quote Originally Posted by S0phie
The PS will have its own manager but no AP. One unique identifier for each server.
What on earth is AP?

Quote Originally Posted by S0phie
There will be two offers on the PS. Initially reserved as a student offer with €5 p/m and limited for the time of study. Each year in October, all clients of the PS-1 must justify the price reduction to continue to enjoy the offer for another year. For the PS-2 which is a Celeron / Atom (depending on the evolution of the brand at Intel and the Atom range we use today ) with two cores and four threads and 2GB of RAM. The offer will remain at €10 p/m.
What will be the specifications for the PS-1?

shadow
29-10-2013, 15:27
This is the news I've been waiting to hear about, and naturally there are some questions.

Firstly, you mention:

"Initially reserved as a student offer with €5 p/m and limited for the time of study."

This sounds delightful on paper, however, I'm wondering what system you're going to use to 'police' those who are in active study. Will it be like Spotify where we use our university's provided email address to sign up, or will there be another awful proofing procedure that requires you to provide unnecessary documents?

What's an AP?

S0phie
29-10-2013, 15:16
Also to read:
http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7585
http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7587
http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7583
http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7582
http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7588

Hello,

We talked about the three "Ovh.com" server ranges:
- Enterprise
- Hosting
- Infrastructure
The 3 ranges from €70/€80 to €200/€300+ , depending on the hardware especially when it comes to the HG-BIG which is perfectly suited to the BigData Market with its 24 cores, 256/512GB generous TB and lots of IO, all of this in a 2x10G private vrack with and several PBs of storage in Hadoop .

Then we talked about the SYS range which allows you to have an essential server for less than €50. This range of servers is perfect for sysadmins who need a powerful server without all the extra addons.

Now for the "Personal Server" which will be offered on Kimsufi.com

The motivation of the PS (Personal Server) is simple:
this is a perfect server to start in the business of sysadmin and great for playing around with and making small personal backups, testing and explore the world of the Internet. Every sysadmin should have a small KS .

Philosophy
------------
There is not much philosophy when it comes to PS. This is a server which is the cheapest possible and therefore with maximum economy in terms of cost. We've worked hard to get the PS with built-in power supply in the rack. We continue to use this technology.
The server still has a single hard disk that is big enough with a good network connection of 100Mbps. No IP any more and no option. It is a "sufficient" server without any options which is there to start in the world of the sysadmin with a real dedicated server as cheap as possible.

In terms of commercial and technical support, the Forum is available and in case of incidents we will create incident tickets from requests you make on the forum.

offer
------
There will be two offers on the PS. Initially reserved as a student offer with €5 p/m and limited for the time of study. Each year in October, all clients of the PS-1 must justify the price reduction to continue to enjoy the offer for another year. For the PS-2 which is a Celeron / Atom (depending on the evolution of the brand at Intel and the Atom range we use today ) with two cores and four threads and 2GB of RAM. The offer will remain at €10 p/m.

The PS will have its own manager but no API. One unique identifier for each server.

The server will only be available in Europe and reflects on the reduced field sales of this offer in our subsidiaries.

In one word, the server ranges less than €15 will not increase. The market is stagnant and little growth is expected in this price segment.

Either way, the PS is a great server to start in sysadmin and allows you to test it cheaply. The scheme is simple: a customer who wants to test, takes a PS for 3 months and then upgrade to Ovh.com server. Here you can choose between a SYS server and Ovh.com.

So the PS still has a high rate of turnover and to limit the damage due to turnover, we will limit it to one PS per customer. The goal is to give everyone the opportunity to start on a real dedicated server but it's not for resellers or managed server suppliers as was permitted in the past. I remember one customer took 2100 servers in 6 months and released them three months later. If the client wants a lot of cheap servers, they will have the choice between the "SoYouStart" - "SYS" offers or the "Brokers" offers.

There will be no voting on the PS.

A few more announcements to come and then we will start the voting on all the presented ranges.

Best wishes,

Octave