OVH Community, your new community space.

Fraud, what do you do?

LawsHosting
04-11-2013, 19:43
I've signed up to the trial for Maxmind..... If it proves successful, then I'll continue..... I think it'll work well with the blocked.com script I have.

Thing is, AFAIK, once a domain is registered, you can't do anything about it, either cease it or get your money back.

marks
04-11-2013, 17:46
Quote Originally Posted by alex
majority of customers don't want to provide any IDs, due to security, example your company was hacked a couple months ago and hackers had access to all EU clients data (and I bet you including my ID and other clients)
the documents are required to validate the account, and destroyed afterwards. 95% of our customers don't have any problem providing the proof.

alex
04-11-2013, 17:36
Quote Originally Posted by marks
one of the things we do at OVH is, when there are doubts about an account, we request validation of ID and address. It's not 100% failproof, but it does help out to reduce the number of fake accounts.
majority of customers don't want to provide any IDs, due to security, example your company was hacked a couple months ago and hackers had access to all EU clients data (and I bet you including my ID and other clients)

LawsHosting
04-11-2013, 14:03
I am now thinking of using MaxMind, that's the only service my system caters for....

I'm just thankful that this company contacted me directly (probably because the IP was in a Ripe IP Block) and not OVH themselves, not sure what OVH would've done in this situation.

marks
04-11-2013, 13:01
one of the things we do at OVH is, when there are doubts about an account, we request validation of ID and address. It's not 100% failproof, but it does help out to reduce the number of fake accounts.

alex
04-11-2013, 11:01
Do use the maxmind.com? or fraudrecord.com or combination of both?

The maxmind will detect all VPNs or proxy and you can check the host if it's VPN.

So, how do you deal with fraudulent sales?
refuse and refund straight away without activating the account.

LawsHosting
03-11-2013, 17:01
So, I have fell victim to a scammer, my second in years.

Just received a report today from a company working for Amazon saying a domain I host is being used as a phishing site - which, digging deeper, was true... No doubt I disabled the site immediately..

However, I only allow orders within the EU (by IP to Country check), and this particular order was from the UK, paid by Direct Debit (via GoCardless), all went through okay... Digging deeper into my logs (ftp, mail, etc), I found that they were logging in from Dubai...

I'm thinking they had to be using a VPN in the UK to order using someone elses personal details as the Direct Debit went through okay, which I'm surprised it did.. No doubt it will be charged-back'd in due course.

I have replied to the company telling them the site has been disabled (not deleted incase anything else comes of it).

So, how do you deal with fraudulent sales?