OVH Community, your new community space.

Strange OVH Email

Myatu
09-11-2013, 18:21
Quote Originally Posted by marks
yes, you can pick up a date ...
Quote Originally Posted by macole111
... not all of their French customs properly translate.
Indeed. Not sure why OVH is encouraging its customers to pick up dates

macole111
09-11-2013, 17:36
OVH seem to just do what they want a lot of the time, especially in the UK where not all of their French customs properly translate.

-macole111

Myatu
09-11-2013, 14:57
yes, it's to check your credit card before accepting it for autorenewal. You'll be charged £3, that will be credited to your account, so it can be used for the next order.

Let us know what you think of the autorenewal system by card, and if you have any problem using it.
A customer should not have to ask "What is this charge for?" - it should be explained up front that there will be a credit check, this is the amount that will be taken and the money will be returned as credit to the account, not reverse charged/refunded to the original card.

You should also explain VAT over the £3 "credit". Especially because you are not charging VAT (according to the invoice shown), so applying it as a credit to a subsequent order / payment will raise some questions - both with the customer and HMRC.

And you should also explain how the £3 is held (that's a legal obligation actually). Ie., is it held in an interest bearing account and what happens to that interest, if any?

macole111
09-11-2013, 10:39
It get that with all demo.ovh domains. Not sure why...

-macole111

alex
08-11-2013, 23:57
yes, you can pick up a date, the length of the renewal and all individually for each server.

Here is the configuration screen as an example:

http://demo.ovh.eu/en/fab6ce0d2f9354d2315dc6565722a8ea/

You can find it here:

OVH Manager >> Administration >> Automatic renewal

let us know your opinion or problems if you have any.
the above mentioned webpage is blocked by whole ESET Smart Security system, as I am getting the following:
Access to the web page was blocked by ESET Smart Security. The web page is on the list of websites with potentially dangerous content.

ctype_alnum
08-11-2013, 20:11
Did anyone stop to think maybe they charge £3 because others including criminals use a £1 check which is sometimes flagged with the bank?

marks
08-11-2013, 18:07
Quote Originally Posted by crowarth
it's questionable as to why it's that amount and not the more commonly accepted £1, but you get it back anyway in the form of credit, which for most people should be fine.

Personally, I'm sticking with manual renewal. Does automatic renewal let you pick a specific renewal date each month? if it does, that might sway me.
yes, you can pick up a date, the length of the renewal and all individually for each server.

Here is the configuration screen as an example:

http://demo.ovh.eu/en/fab6ce0d2f9354d2315dc6565722a8ea/

You can find it here:

OVH Manager >> Administration >> Automatic renewal

let us know your opinion or problems if you have any.

Tz-OVH
08-11-2013, 17:50
If Amazon and Paypal can do with 1 USD/EUR/GBP and not actually charge you, then why on earth does OVH need to hold onto the £3?

crowarth
08-11-2013, 16:28
it's questionable as to why it's that amount and not the more commonly accepted £1, but you get it back anyway in the form of credit, which for most people should be fine.

Personally, I'm sticking with manual renewal. Does automatic renewal let you pick a specific renewal date each month? if it does, that might sway me.

marks
08-11-2013, 13:37
it's not just a test that the details are correct. It's a full charge that's not returned to the card, but into the OVH account. It's only for security anyway, and that credit is used on the next automatic renewal anyway

Andy
08-11-2013, 13:17
Why £3? Everywhere else uses £1 AND they return straight away...

marks
08-11-2013, 11:54
yes, it's to check your credit card before accepting it for autorenewal. You'll be charged £3, that will be credited to your account, so it can be used for the next order.

Let us know what you think of the autorenewal system by card, and if you have any problem using it.

Thelen
08-11-2013, 06:53
I believe so yes, did you enable/use it?

Phixion
08-11-2013, 03:51
I received an email from OVH with a link to an invoice for £3.00 which says it's a check of my credit card details.

Is this related to automatic renewal?