OVH Community, your new community space.

Sync a dedicated server with a VPS

dayvo
21-11-2013, 13:06
+1 rsync

I use it to sync some of my boxes and it really is very easy to do - combine it with keys and cron and you can set and forget..

Mark1978
21-11-2013, 12:23
rsync running as a cron job really is the simplest method. Anything else is going to be far more complex.

Just read up on it, it seems daunting at first but there are many step by step guides.

Shought
21-11-2013, 12:16
Well I am currently Tarring the server and then using Wget to transfer it to the other server however I have to do this manually and takes several hours.

I want something easy that will sync automatically and very easy to setup. I have tried setting up Rsync however I cannot get it working and looks far to complicated.

TheGeekster
18-11-2013, 16:32
http://www.bittorrent.com/sync

Seems odd, but literally just for live backing up files, no special requirements or anything, this seems to work well for a couple of backend admin servers I've got running at work.

Syncs my home server with my office server with all the IT junk.

Mark1978
18-11-2013, 14:51
Quote Originally Posted by gigabit
rsync is really good for this, probably your best option.

it goes over SSH so you have no extra software to install (other than rsync itself) and usage is really easy:
rsync /local/path /remote/path user@remote.host.com
It does an incremental backup so the first run will backup everything, and subsequent runs will only upload changed files - with compression, so it's very efficient.

There are heaps of options for it though (how you want it to behave) so please read the help pages, just so you know exactly what its doing (deleted files etc), this was just a guide.
Yep, although you'd have to set it as a cron job to run (say) every hour, it won't trigger automatically when it sees file changes. Plus you'd want to set up SSH keys otherwise it won't be able to connect without password. All this can be fiddly but there are plenty of guides online.

Trapper
18-11-2013, 14:44
I'm not a Linux Guru, but I use the Windows port of wget, which is aimed at doing exactly this. (I use a scheduled task - guess that's a cron job for you.) It works a treat, and if you have multiple websites, and they all sit within the same (FTP) directory, you can do them all at once...

~Trap

gigabit
18-11-2013, 13:19
rsync is really good for this, probably your best option.

it goes over SSH so you have no extra software to install (other than rsync itself) and usage is really easy:
rsync /local/path /remote/path user@remote.host.com
It does an incremental backup so the first run will backup everything, and subsequent runs will only upload changed files - with compression, so it's very efficient.

There are heaps of options for it though (how you want it to behave) so please read the help pages, just so you know exactly what its doing (deleted files etc), this was just a guide.

Shought
18-11-2013, 12:41
Sorry I forgot to say my disk space used is around 60-70GB

mike_
18-11-2013, 12:39
Easy: Crashplan or Dropbox

Less easy but worth doing: rsync

Shought
18-11-2013, 12:09
Hi there,

I am looking to automatically Backup or Sync the home folder on my dedicated server with my VPS.

Does anyone know a easy and free way to do this?

Thanks,