OVH Community, your new community space.

SoYouStart.com SYS

NeddySeagoon
15-12-2014, 19:37
netbeamerp,

You get what you pay for. OVH are low cost because you don't get much.
That includes telephone support on SoYouStart. Thats regardless of data centre too.

netbeamerp
15-12-2014, 18:19
Hi i owned the dedicated server and ireland support is very poor they never reply to question adn issues.

i want to shift my server from ireland to us so i can get propoer reply adn can talk on phone to us team.

i owned server RBX2 - Rack: 23B06 - Server ID: 162393

i have sent lot lot emails to support team but syoustart team seems to be very busy other than customer issues. they are not reply to my query.

my server have lot of problems
- i can not reboot my server it raise error.
- i can not take backup of server.

Trapper
13-12-2013, 00:06
Quote Originally Posted by Trapper
I see no post today from Marks. Maybe too many of us giving him both barrels...
Sorry for self-quoting...

I looked this comment up, to see if we ever got a definitive answer to the pre-2013 Kimi support. Although a week has past, and there have been some comments from OVH, I see the question remains un-answered.

For this reason, I have replaced one of my old Kimi's (04) that I have had since 2009. So the money spent with OVH this month is just a little lower.

Come on OVH, answer some questions, provide some servers, make those offers we cannot refuse again.

~Trap

Kode
10-12-2013, 23:28
https://twitter.com/olesovhcom/statu...02686589456384 is that the full SYS lineup? Dissapointing if it is, only 2 servers with SSDs and those are both 120GB SSDs

Tz-OVH
07-12-2013, 08:29
Might wait to see what re-sellers can come up with price wise.

DaMadBoy
07-12-2013, 03:13
Hey everyone, my first post on these forums but have been using OVH for a couple of years now. Been reading through the forums and everything quite frequently but haven't been able to reply until now when my account magically got activated after the soyoustart.co.uk site got activated.

I have to say OVH, the way things were managed were not impressive, a simple solution to your problem would have been to reverse the prices on your old and new servers, an old server I use costs me around £46 a month and your new servers of very similar specs around £36, I don't get why you didn't just swap the prices around, 1 day job, solves turn over, new servers covers costs of old, simple, easy, practical. You could even have matched the prices for similar specs, £41 for old and new and still had the same income, quick and effective solution and no need for setup fees.

Also the main reason I loved OVH so much was that I could run multiple servers and hosting packages and manage them all in one place, now (correct me if I am wrong) we have to manage them on seperate sites?

LinuxGam
06-12-2013, 22:01
My mSP certainly had much faster download and server to server, however I have finally left OVH for most of my servers as am sick of the uncertainty of rules, prices and timescales. I think that from experience you will be fine, but my biggest worry is the rules today may change next month, then again the next month, then again the next month. Hardly something you can build a business around...

elcct
06-12-2013, 21:50
Quote Originally Posted by LinuxGam
If it's in the same DC, I doubt it would only be 200mb/s.. if it's in another OVH/SYS DC, maybe 200mb/sec rules apply, but even then they won't cut it short at 200mb/s they are just guaranteeing that, so prob will go faster
Just I am not sure if I want to spend setup fee to find out Can someone confirm this?

LinuxGam
06-12-2013, 21:46
Quote Originally Posted by elcct
I was thinking of outbound traffic to another OVH server (or SYS)
If it's in the same DC, I doubt it would only be 200mb/s.. if it's in another OVH/SYS DC, maybe 200mb/sec rules apply, but even then they won't cut it short at 200mb/s they are just guaranteeing that, so prob will go faster

elcct
06-12-2013, 21:42
Quote Originally Posted by dan
outbound traffic is limited to 200mbps, inbound traffic is not.
Its exactly the same with the old mSP.
I was thinking of outbound traffic to another OVH server (or SYS)

LinuxGam
06-12-2013, 21:31
Quote Originally Posted by Kode
As I understand it, the old mSP is capped to 200mbps internal and external, don't know about the new SYS servers though.

Guaranteed bandwidth
Bandwidth 200 Mbps outgoing, internal or external
My Experience with OVH and over providers is that the internal and download is much faster, they are just saying you have that guaranteed. Being as their bottleneck is from the server to the internet, then I would expect internal to be close to port speed and download in my experience was often 1/2 to almost port speed.

Kode
06-12-2013, 21:10
As I understand it, the old mSP is capped to 200mbps internal and external, don't know about the new SYS servers though.

*edit*
Network tab on http://www.soyoustart.co.uk/offers/xeon-1.xml states

Guaranteed bandwidth
Bandwidth 200 Mbps outgoing, internal or external

Whether that will be capped to 200 Mbps outgoing, internal and external as mSP was or is just all they guarantee, I don't know.

dan
06-12-2013, 20:49
That setup fee is not so tragic, but what i don't understand is internal traffic cap to 200mbps. Why give 2TB drives if to transfer data off the server would take few days.
outbound traffic is limited to 200mbps, inbound traffic is not.
Its exactly the same with the old mSP.

elcct
06-12-2013, 20:24
Quote Originally Posted by NeddySeagoon
The Xeon-1 would be attractive were it not for the setup fee. I can get similar hardware for a similar price elsewhere with no setup fee.
Its £10 a month extra for tmice as much CPU horsepower, twich as much storage and four times as much RAM as I have now.
I shall be turning over my hardware but probably not with OVH.

The setup fee is an interesting concept, since the first thing I will do is reboot into the rescue system and set the system up propery with no OVH back doors, why would I pay a setup fee to anyone?
That setup fee is not so tragic, but what i don't understand is internal traffic cap to 200mbps. Why give 2TB drives if to transfer data off the server would take few days.

NeddySeagoon
06-12-2013, 19:38
The Xeon-1 would be attractive were it not for the setup fee. I can get similar hardware for a similar price elsewhere with no setup fee.
Its £10 a month extra for tmice as much CPU horsepower, twich as much storage and four times as much RAM as I have now.
I shall be turning over my hardware but probably not with OVH.

The setup fee is an interesting concept, since the first thing I will do is reboot into the rescue system and set the system up propery with no OVH back doors, why would I pay a setup fee to anyone?

HostRange
06-12-2013, 19:30
How do I add my own Windows license?

Also will pro usage (or a way to get more than 5 IPs) ever be added to these?

Neil
06-12-2013, 19:08
It's error then as you can see the website has 199 so that will be fixed.

elcct
06-12-2013, 19:06

129.99 PLN is 159.89 with 23% VAT and that gives about £31.98

Neil
06-12-2013, 19:02
Why setup fee is about £50 in the UK, but Poland's version of SYS has ~£30 setup fee?
Why UK has to pay more?
199PL (246PL with taxes) at current exchange rates is £40 it is not £30.

elcct
06-12-2013, 18:51
Why setup fee is about £50 in the UK, but Poland's version of SYS has ~£30 setup fee?
Why UK has to pay more?

Neil
06-12-2013, 18:00
Quote Originally Posted by HostRange
Just ordered a XEON-1. What is the setup time? I can't find it anywhere
Found it! It was in our reviewing system, order is in progress and you should have it in the next few minutes.

macole111
06-12-2013, 17:42
Wouldn't mind the setup fee if it wasn't for the number of IPs!!!! Come on at least 1 per GB of RAM. How else are you going to do virtualisation?

Not having Windows is stupid, not having the same account as normal OVH is stupid, not having a low end (4GB RAM) server is stupid, no API access is stupid. Why do OVH have to do it like this when other providers offer branded hardware (no biggy) and higher specs (biggy) for less.

Guaranteed intervention time (GIT) 1 hour
Guaranteed repair time (GTR) GIT + 1 hour
Yeah right.

-macole111

Neil
06-12-2013, 17:39
OK, I see soyoustart.co.uk is now live.

Price not to bad, but we knew what the machine was going to be: Too much memory for most and the Setup Fee is high, but I could live with that.

Once again there is a deal-breaker... No Windows Server version. Current choice: Linux, Linux or Linux. Have OVH employed Mr Ford..?

~Trap
Windows is supported, see http://www.soyoustart.co.uk/offers/xeon-1.xml under the Software tab.

Edit: Currently only Hyper-V 2008 at the moment.

Trapper
06-12-2013, 17:24
OK, I see soyoustart.co.uk is now live.

Price not to bad, but we knew what the machine was going to be: Too much memory for most and the Setup Fee is high, but I could live with that.

Once again there is a deal-breaker... No Windows Server version. Current choice: Linux, Linux or Linux. Have OVH employed Mr Ford..?

I also see the distinct lack of email from OVH, telling me the server I "manually" ordered is now available.

I know they gotta be running like mad down there at the moment, but it is still impossible to do new business here...

~Trap

HostRange
06-12-2013, 17:14
Just ordered a XEON-1. What is the setup time? I can't find it anywhere

Neil
06-12-2013, 17:04
Quote Originally Posted by village_i_diot
There is no mention of IPV6 on SYS servers, do they come with any ?
They do come with /64 address block.

S0phie
06-12-2013, 16:46
Quote Originally Posted by HostRange
Do I need to create another account? I am getting the error "Mauvais identifiant client ou mauvais mot de passe: impossible de se connecter"
Yes, you need to create a new account

village_i_diot
06-12-2013, 16:29
There is no mention of IPV6 on SYS servers, do they come with any ?

HostRange
06-12-2013, 16:18
Do I need to create another account? I am getting the error "Mauvais identifiant client ou mauvais mot de passe: impossible de se connecter"

mike_
06-12-2013, 16:14
So it's now live, and IPs are no longer included. They're an optional extra.

village_i_diot
06-12-2013, 15:52
UK always the last?

http://www.soyoustart.de/
I agree with others that OVH should have launched all of the translated sites at the same time but they haven't so someone has to be last, why not the UK? if it wasn't us then it would be another country and they would be moaning about it.

TheBritoid
06-12-2013, 13:57
UK always the last?

I'm guessing probably due to the currency conversion.

bhanuprasad1981
06-12-2013, 05:35
seems sys has limit on server buying as per google translation 2 servers per customer per month ?

elcct
06-12-2013, 00:04
UK always the last?

mike_
04-12-2013, 18:06
Quote Originally Posted by K.Kode
I think we should be the ones to send the UK staff Christmas presents this year. You think we've had a few rough months ...
This is a good idea. I'd happily chip in.

NeddySeagoon
04-12-2013, 18:01
From the Euro pricing, OVH have changed from somthing that was wrong for them to something equally badly thought out that is wrong for customers.
It will fix the churn but the cost will be to drive people away, probably without attracting replacement customers.
That will lead to another set of changes. Of course, servers will be on sale through this third upheavel but there will be no/few buyers.

Meanwhile, the root cause of the problem remains - the OVH management.

Christmas presents ... a "bye bye and thanks for all the fish" emait.

K.Kode
04-12-2013, 17:35
I think we should be the ones to send the UK staff Christmas presents this year. You think we've had a few rough months ...

Trapper
04-12-2013, 17:15
I see no post today from Marks. Maybe too many of us giving him both barrels...

On the plus side, for anyone who is interested, there has been some movement today on soyoustart.co.uk... don't rush though, it just changed from a French holding page (well done you got a doman) to a SYS coming soon page...

~Trap

Trapper
03-12-2013, 23:25
Quote Originally Posted by rickyday
They aren't that fat!!
Thanks Ricky, I needed a smile...

Apologies to the aforementioned pair... Better stop there before I dig a deeper hole.

I think everyone knows who I mean, but just in case, one has about twice Marks post count, and the other has about 3 times...

Having never met or even seen either, I am only referring to the "width of their knowledge"...

~Trap

mike_
03-12-2013, 23:19
Quote Originally Posted by marks
When a new contracts is released, you've got the option to accept it or cancel the server.
I'm pretty sure it's law that important terms of a contract must be clearly brought to the attention of the customer at the point of sale/signing. This does not happen at OVH, who seemingly throw a new wall of text at you every other month.

The discussions about the contract changes are made public over the forum or you're given the month time notice before the new contract has to be accepted. And yes, the options are to accept it or to cancel the server. The T&C does say that the contracts can be changed.
lol. No they're not. Sometimes it's just a French Tweet from Oles. Can you please link to the thread where the removal of the pre-2013 Kimsufi IPs was discussed?

Also, how many customers do you have that don't even use the forums? I'm guessing it's quite a lot.

The change of IP conditions on KS servers was put in place at the same time that last year change of conditions for the IPs. VAC was announced months in advanced and I've explained before about the KS email support.
I didn't find out about any of these until I read it on these forums. And that's posts by customers, not OVH staff.

Well, we've said it many times that you can't expect the same level of service for KS servers, even though the explanations above of your complaints.
I can very well expect the same level of service that I signed up for, especially when the price is higher.

Keep in mind the personal/testing/development definition of KS in mind
They weren't originally sold like this. They were sold with a reduced SLA and support.

picture the cheapest server you can provide for that, including stripping down any guarantees and SLAs so it's cheaper.
This is a ridiculous argument to make. Yes, we can all understand this for the 2013 KS range which were ultra cheap, but you also retroactively applied these reductions in service to pre-2013 Kimsufis, and these are not any cheaper. They're actually now more expensive because of the VAC.

Also remember anyone with an older KS-16G or 24G is paying as much or more than a new SYS, and they have worse support levels.

And since we're talking about money here, even though my personal bill is only £60/month or so, my former employer has a spend somewhere between £800-£1000 per month purely as a result of my recommendation. I'm in a similar position in my new job where I can make recommendations, but OVH are at the bottom of the pile right now. I mean even if I had any confidence left in you as a company, there still aren't even any servers to order in the UK.

rickyday
03-12-2013, 20:56
A short walk around the forum will show that two other "heavy-weights" from this forum are going elsewhere
They aren't that fat!!

TheBritoid
03-12-2013, 20:46
@Trapper I spend £370 per month at OVH and just considering jumping ship to somewhere like Online.net. I don't want to have to read forums to know when my plan and terms are going to change. I am no longer getting what I originally signed up for and I feel sorry for those who paid for their servers annually.

I tweeted a couple of questions about Online.net, and even though I didn't mention their username, they replied to me and answered them very quickly on Twitter! It took me 2 weeks to get a similar question at OVH answered.

Trapper
03-12-2013, 20:34
In fact, I had "Pro Use" removed from one of my KS's. Yes - they were not "personal/test/development" then. The only reason I had this was to add telephone support. I asked and was informed that "Pro Use" on a KS no-longer entitled me to Telephone support. - If that is NOT a change to an existing contract I do not know what is..!

KS servers used to have the option to add the so-called Pro use, or Tunning. That is not the same as to say that the KS become professional servers, it was never meant to be that way. And KS servers never had telephone support, and I'm afraid that that's not correct that the Pro use entitled you to phone support on KS servers (must have been a misunderstanding, but that wasn't the case - difficult to show you now, as that option was dropped from KS servers years ago).
When is "Pro Use" not "Pro Use" - when it comes from OVH,

Marks, again I disagree. KS Servers with Pro Use have had telephone support. And do not try to bury this in the past, This was this year - 2013. I had the Pro Use on one of my servers for just that reason, and cancelled it when you changed the benefits of Pro Use. I also did make a support call under this arrangement, about a KS, so I know my facts are correct, and yours are wrong.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I was not looking to make this a Pro-Server by adding the Pro Use. I understand the limitations, and am happy to buy at that level.

I also have "Proper" OVH servers, 3 of them. I have these as KS level hardware and support would NOT be acceptable for their jobs.

Just in general, as this thread is a good example: it's not a matter of wanting to make angry Kimsufi customers, but all these complaints are all focused on Kimsufi servers. Well, we've said it many times that you can't expect the same level of service for KS servers, even though the explanations above of your complaints.
As previously mentioned, we do not expect the same level of service for a £3 or a £10 server, as we expect from a £50 server.

We DO however expect the SAME level of service for the SAME money we are paying.

I have 2 KS's at about £40 and 3 KS's at about £50. These were taken with email and ticket support. Which they now DO NOT HAVE. But you have NOT reduced the price.

I asked you to categorically state we do get email support on pre-2013 KS's You have NOT done this.

If you do not want to make us angry:
1. Do not take away our support (which we are still paying for);
2. Don't be so arrogant when you come on here saying that you will not change things, when you already have;
3. Answer what we ask of you, like the re-asked question above.

... but all these complaints are all focused on Kimsufi servers

Most of these are. That is to be expected, as it is the terms of KS you have changed.

To be clear, it is NOT just the KS people who are un-happy. A short walk around the forum will show that two other "heavy-weights" from this forum are going elsewhere, due to changes at OVH.

The reason they are not seen here so much is because they complain direct, via email, rather than here on the forum. So if the forum is KS-heavy, it is only to be expected.

So, please focus on Professional server here, and any complaints or comments about kimsufi , please put them on the KS section of the forum.
IanUK asked the question here, in this thread. Your reply with comments (again here, in this thread) which have upset so many people.

~Trap
A Piece of ____ who only spends £555.40 per month with OVH
(Yes, I just added it up, and really, I do pay £555.40 which is probably about 1 day of Marks wages per month)

TheBritoid
03-12-2013, 20:20
If someone buys a server which allows them to have up to 32 additional IPs, I think it's fairly reasonable to expect the ability to have up to 32 IPs. If I buy a server with an Xeon E3-1230 and get an Atom and told "you can't expect to get a E3-1230", that's outrageous and frankly anti-consumer.

marks
03-12-2013, 16:25
Just some of your comments:

Twice while loging into the manager in the last year I have had to accept new contracts before I could do anything else.
The contract I signed up to in 2012 is no longer applicable. It does not matter when I took out my original contract.
When a new contracts is released, you've got the option to accept it or cancel the server. The discussions about the contract changes are made public over the forum or you're given the month time notice before the new contract has to be accepted. And yes, the options are to accept it or to cancel the server. The T&C does say that the contracts can be changed.

In fact, I had "Pro Use" removed from one of my KS's. Yes - they were not "personal/test/development" then. The only reason I had this was to add telephone support. I asked and was informed that "Pro Use" on a KS no-longer entitled me to Telephone support. - If that is NOT a change to an existing contract I do not know what is..!
KS servers used to have the option to add the so-called Pro use, or Tunning. That is not the same as to say that the KS become professional servers, it was never meant to be that way. And KS servers never had telephone support, and I'm afraid that that's not correct that the Pro use entitled you to phone support on KS servers (must have been a misunderstanding, but that wasn't the case - difficult to show you now, as that option was dropped from KS servers years ago).

I'm sorry but this just isn't true. My KS 16G was sold with a capacity of 32 IPs, but despite having only used approximately half of that, the manager no longer permits me to buy any more IPs. I'm not the only one who's noticed it. OVH have withdrawn the ability to add IPs to these older servers, and didn't even have the decency to notify its customers (or it seems, its staff) of this change. When you add to that the price increase for VAC, and the removal of email support, does it really come as a surprise that people are really unhappy?
The change of IP conditions on KS servers was put in place at the same time that last year change of conditions for the IPs. VAC was announced months in advanced and I've explained before about the KS email support.

Just in general, as this thread is a good example: it's not a matter of wanting to make angry Kimsufi customers, but all these complaints are all focused on Kimsufi servers. Well, we've said it many times that you can't expect the same level of service for KS servers, even though the explanations above of your complaints.

Keep in mind the personal/testing/development definition of KS in mind, and picture the cheapest server you can provide for that, including stripping down any guarantees and SLAs so it's cheaper. That is KS servers.

So, please focus on Professional server here, and any complaints or comments about kimsufi , please put them on the KS section of the forum.

elcct
03-12-2013, 15:26

macole111
02-12-2013, 18:52
+1, lots of competitive servers are cheaper than my current kimi, this close to moving...

-macole111

LawsHosting
02-12-2013, 18:07
^ +1

Trapper
02-12-2013, 17:17
kimsufi servers support was changed on the new 2013 range, and there was different information about how this would affect the previous kimsufi versions, but with the situation for the last months, and pending to get the definite 2014 range, we've been doing email support anyway.

Also, as we've said many times, kimsufi servers are personal/test/developing servers, and they don't come with any SLA nor guarantees. So, keep this in mind. My comments were specifically for Pro servers.
Marks,

To make myself clear:

I am not looking for super-SLA. I have systems in place, and multiple-proper-backups. I understand the 2013 KS's are too cheap to offer any SLA or support at all. To be honest, with the 2013's if I were to use them for anything even remotely important, I would ensure I had a second (and probably third) I could fail-over too if needed.

What I am looking for is honesty. As far as we have been informed, support for even the older KS servers is now forum-only. This post of yours today is the first I have seen which says I am allowed email support on these. I strongly suspect that if I were to email about a 2012 KS, any request would be flatly rejected.

So, if you do not mind stating categorically that we do get email support on Pre-2013 KS's then "we" will have something to point to, when we are told "no".

As to your comment
there was different information about how this would affect the previous kimsufi versions
I have never seen anything other than negative comments - those saying we do not have that support. There was nothing "different" to No-Support Forum-Only. If you can find it, please point-out where these "different" posts are, the ones which said we do have email support.

If in the future you want to make comments about "OVH" or "Pro" servers, then please make that clear.

~Trap

HostRange
02-12-2013, 16:03
It's almost been two weeks since SYS launched. Any new ETA?

NeddySeagoon
02-12-2013, 13:21
There have been several changes regarding the IP, the main one a year ago, which added a price for individual IPs for all the servers, that is Pro servers.

For Kimsufi servers, only very old ranges could use blocks of IPs. Since the last year, the range of KS servers couldn't allow blocks, and the new KS 2013, from August onwards, couldn't have IP failovers at all. The previous servers that were sold with the capacity for IP failovers or RIPE, they still have it.

Different KS ranges have kept the same name (KS 16G, KS 2G) , but that doesn't meant that they were sold with the same conditions.

I understand that there have been quite some changes with the specs of new ranges and then doing some quick corrections soon afterwards, but that's the process to get to the new server ranges, just that this time (opposed to previous new range releases), it's been more problematic and found unexpected and unintended consequences. But in the past, this speed of decision and reaction has brought many advantages, both in terms of prices and quality of the offer.

Surely, after this changes are done, we'll be back to normal.

Marks,

That's not as I understand the situation but I will attribute your post to carelessness or being badly informed, not malice, so I'll stop short of calling it a lie.
Twice while loging into the manager in the last year I have had to accept new contracts before I could do anything else.
The contract I signed up to in 2012 is no longer applicable. It does not matter when I took out my original contract.

By attempting to get support via email, I am now in breach of contract, even when the forums are broken!
Under the terms of my contract I have no support at such times as the contract does not give me any other recourse.

Such a contract is of course, just silly. OVH could close the forum at any time. There are no contractual obligations to keep it open.
I will not be keeping my Kimsufi, with the contract getting worse every time I log in to the manager..
I do intend to stay with OVH until my options are clear but then ...

elcct
02-12-2013, 12:49
Quote Originally Posted by theatheist
The mSP was always advertised as 200Mbps in and out internal/external.
That's why i didn't rent it. Real show stopper. Shame they didn't improve that in SYS offer.

mike_
02-12-2013, 11:02
For Kimsufi servers, only very old ranges could use blocks of IPs. Since the last year, the range of KS servers couldn't allow blocks, and the new KS 2013, from August onwards, couldn't have IP failovers at all. The previous servers that were sold with the capacity for IP failovers or RIPE, they still have it.
I'm sorry but this just isn't true. My KS 16G was sold with a capacity of 32 IPs, but despite having only used approximately half of that, the manager no longer permits me to buy any more IPs. I'm not the only one who's noticed it. OVH have withdrawn the ability to add IPs to these older servers, and didn't even have the decency to notify its customers (or it seems, its staff) of this change. When you add to that the price increase for VAC, and the removal of email support, does it really come as a surprise that people are really unhappy?

marks
02-12-2013, 09:55
Quote Originally Posted by macole111
To further Trapper, I should be able to add more failover IPs to my 16G, can I? No.

Please please OVH get your act together!

-macole111
There have been several changes regarding the IP, the main one a year ago, which added a price for individual IPs for all the servers, that is Pro servers.

Different KS ranges have kept the same name (KS 16G, KS 2G) , but that doesn't meant that they were sold with the same conditions.

I understand that there have been quite some changes with the specs of new ranges and then doing some quick corrections soon afterwards, but that's the process to get to the new server ranges, just that this time (opposed to previous new range releases), it's been more problematic and found unexpected and unintended consequences. But in the past, this speed of decision and reaction has brought many advantages, both in terms of prices and quality of the offer.

Surely, after this changes are done, we'll be back to normal.

marks
02-12-2013, 09:45
(This is probably the post which is going to get me banned...)
Marks, this is a straight LIE.

If you do not believe me, then look at the T's&C's for my Kimsufi's.

IF you are telling the truth (which you are not) then I have email support on Kimsufi servers.

Alternately, IF you consider these to be sold under the NEW terms (as the support level indicates) charge me the NEW prices, which are much less than the OLD.

I am paying the same price I always have, and getting less for it.

~Trap
kimsufi servers support was changed on the new 2013 range, and there was different information about how this would affect the previous kimsufi versions, but with the situation for the last months, and pending to get the definite 2014 range, we've been doing email support anyway.

Also, as we've said many times, kimsufi servers are personal/test/developing servers, and they don't come with any SLA nor guarantees. So, keep this in mind. My comments were specifically for Pro servers.

mike_
02-12-2013, 08:30
When a server is sold, we'll keep the conditions with it was sold as long as you renew the server. That's for the good things an old range may have, and for the bad things aswell.
I can confirm that apart from the cost increase to pay for the broken VAC, a new restriction on adding IPs, and removal of email support, the conditions of my server are exactly the same as when I bought it two years ago.

So I'm now left paying as much for an SYS server that has much better specs. Why wouldn't OVH discount the prices (or restore the original conditions!)? You're just encouraging turnover by not doing it.

theatheist
01-12-2013, 23:04
If that's the case, then sadly OVH/SYS has no server that i could make use of any more...
The mSP was always advertised as 200Mbps in and out internal/external.

TheGeekster
01-12-2013, 22:18
Oooohhhh look !!!!

A squadron of pigs just flew past my window.
With ovh branding on the side?

Edit: What ever that is now.

NeddySeagoon
01-12-2013, 18:30
Oooohhhh look !!!!

A squadron of pigs just flew past my window.

TheGeekster
01-12-2013, 16:11
Quote Originally Posted by Wajdan
When is UK website coming ?
"Early next week" so roughly maybe possibly perhaps if we're lucky 2nd - 5th of december

Wajdan
01-12-2013, 16:07
When is UK website coming ?

elcct
01-12-2013, 12:54
Quote Originally Posted by TheGeekster
"200 Mbps outbound, internal or external"

http://www.soyoustart.com/fr/offres/xeon-1.html

Click the network tab
Thanks, i see it now.

TheGeekster
01-12-2013, 11:38
If that's the case, then sadly OVH/SYS has no server that i could make use of any more...
"200 Mbps outbound, internal or external"

http://www.soyoustart.com/fr/offres/xeon-1.html

Click the network tab

elcct
01-12-2013, 11:20
Bit late, but I looked over the pages, and it looks limited to 200mbps local as well

TheGeekster
01-12-2013, 10:34
Bit late, but I looked over the pages, and it looks limited to 200mbps local as well

elcct
29-11-2013, 10:19
Do you know if SYS server has 1gbps connection SYS <=> SYS and 200mbps SYS => Internet or whole interface is capped to 200mbps?

Trapper
29-11-2013, 00:09
It was factually incorrect for sure. Calling it a lie inferrs deliberate intent.
Marks should know better but old and cynical as I am, I doubt the statement was made with intent to deliberately misinform.
Hmmm... I am old and cynical too.

You may be right that it is not a lie until changes happen after that statement was made by marks.

The statement could mis-lead anyone thinking of buying a server from KS/SYS/OVH, by making them think this company does exactly as he said in the post. On that basis they may buy a server, not realising that the "OVH-way" is quite different.

There is a good track record of changes, and as much time as they have spent deciding what new offers to make, I am sure they will change, just as they have in the last few months. The list of "down-grades without down-costs" is quite long, but I am sure it is not finished.

~Trap

NeddySeagoon
28-11-2013, 20:58
It was factually incorrect for sure. Calling it a lie inferrs deliberate intent.
Marks should know better but old and cynical as I am, I doubt the statement was made with intent to deliberately misinform.

macole111
28-11-2013, 20:33
I understand they can change them but it what Marc said about it was, as trapper pointed out, was a lie.

When a server is sold, we'll keep the conditions with it was sold as long as you renew the server.
-macole111

NeddySeagoon
28-11-2013, 20:20
Well, there is no long term contract, so the servers we have had for more than a month are resold to us every renewal.
It follows that the Ts & Cs can change every renewal. It appears that this happens only when the balance changes in favour of OVH.

This lack of a long term commitment by either party to the contract and the continuously worstening Ts & Cs is what drives the churn that OVH wish to avoid.

theatheist
28-11-2013, 20:07
Agreed.

Taking away real support from current, long standing KS ..AND.. FS customers was an absolute disgrace and quite frankly unforgivable. I could understand it if they did it for new installs or new customers but to do this for current installs and not reduce the price is a complete insult.

OVH needs to give back support (real support not public/forum crap) or at least reduce price of renewals.

Jasgriff
28-11-2013, 19:58
I agree with the Macole and Trapper I think claiming that nothing has changed for existing customer contracts is a very strange statement to make. Lots have changed kimi support, compulsory DDOS cost, additional ip cost and limits, cancellation of VOIP for UK customers etc.

Marcs when you mobile contract is due for renewal and you see that you can get a new phone with more minutes and pay less per month I cant imagine you saying no thanks I will stick with what I have got.

macole111
28-11-2013, 18:57
To further Trapper, I should be able to add more failover IPs to my 16G, can I? No.

Please please OVH get your act together!

-macole111

Trapper
28-11-2013, 17:27
When a server is sold, we'll keep the conditions with it was sold as long as you renew the server. That's for the good things an old range may have, and for the bad things aswell. So, unless there is a special offer setup for that, the prices of running old servers won't be modified, neither the conditions they come with.

(This is probably the post which is going to get me banned...)

Marks, this is a straight LIE.

If you do not believe me, then look at the T's&C's for my Kimsufi's.

IF you are telling the truth (which you are not) then I have email support on Kimsufi servers.

Alternately, IF you consider these to be sold under the NEW terms (as the support level indicates) charge me the NEW prices, which are much less than the OLD.

I am paying the same price I always have, and getting less for it.

~Trap

alex
28-11-2013, 17:00
The setup fee is to reduce turnover. Due to the numbers of servers that we're reaching in our datacentres, turnover is too dangerous.

Hope it helps
with any business you take a risk and wastage, but in your business you can still re-sell refurb servers, I can point to plenty businesses who resell the refurb servers.

dayvo
28-11-2013, 14:22
Thanks Marks, that has confirmed for me that I will definitely be adding to the server turnover come January, whether that is moving both my servers to SYS or losing me as a customer depends on whether SYS will have any SSDs @ 240GB+ at a decent price and available, otherwise I'll be moving to hetzner with a 1 x EX40 + 1 x EX40-SSD - better specs + a saving of around £350 on what I'm currently paying for
Same here - what I struggle to understand is why OVH wouldnt want at least something for their old servers, instead of nothing. Reducing the price of the older servers would encourage people to keep them, not reducing them is encouraging people to ditch them - to which they would then struggle to resell at the same price. Bizarre.

Kode
28-11-2013, 14:06
When a server is sold, we'll keep the conditions with it was sold as long as you renew the server. That's for the good things an old range may have, and for the bad things aswell. So, unless there is a special offer setup for that, the prices of running old servers won't be modified, neither the conditions they come with.

The setup fee is to reduce turnover. Due to the numbers of servers that we're reaching in our datacentres, turnover is too dangerous.

Hope it helps
Thanks Marks, that has confirmed for me that I will definitely be adding to the server turnover come January, whether that is moving both my servers to SYS or losing me as a customer depends on whether SYS will have any SSDs @ 240GB+ at a decent price and available, otherwise I'll be moving to hetzner with a 1 x EX40 + 1 x EX40-SSD - better specs + a saving of around £350 on what I'm currently paying for

elcct
28-11-2013, 12:55
I am not worried about a setup charge as long as the cost of the (server x 12) + Setup charge is competitive and the hardware is pretty new, so having it for 12 months isn't an issue. I guess this is only a problem if you are getting a server for only a few months or to try it out.
Problem is that not everyone is an expert when it comes to hardware and also some configurations are a mystery (like those AMD Opteron cpus in Hosting range) so it is likely you could choose wrong server for your project and that setup fee makes things a lot more expensive.

LinuxGam
28-11-2013, 12:42
Well, that depends, because other companies don't have that set up charge or it is a lot lower - so essentially OVH will be pushing their clients to the competition...
I am not worried about a setup charge as long as the cost of the (server x 12) + Setup charge is competitive and the hardware is pretty new, so having it for 12 months isn't an issue. I guess this is only a problem if you are getting a server for only a few months or to try it out.

elcct
28-11-2013, 11:25
I think you answered your own question... you might not if there was a £99 set up charge :-)
Well, that depends, because other companies don't have that set up charge or it is a lot lower - so essentially OVH will be pushing their clients to the competition...

dayvo
28-11-2013, 10:14
I think you answered your own question... you might not if there was a £99 set up charge :-)
I saw 49 setup charge.. which if i kept the server for 6 months id still be better off and have double the hardware spec

IanUK
28-11-2013, 10:11

Hope it helps
Hmm, I feel for you here, you are in a 'chicken and egg' situation, your new servers are higher spec and cheaper than the older ranges, so people will want to change, hence the setup fee, but if you have a setup fee you will put off new customers that can buy elsewhere without one.

How about a scheme for existing customers where they can get discounts off their existing server dependent on how long they have had the server ?

LinuxGam
28-11-2013, 10:09
Quote Originally Posted by dayvo
My 'older' msp comes in at around £60 a month, I can get almost double spec in everything for £50 a month.. in this situation why wouldn't i contribute to your turnover?

dayvo
28-11-2013, 09:46

That doesnt make sense when your newer and higher spec hardware is cheaper than the old existing hardware.. That is naturally going to create turnover as why would I want to spend more money on older hardware with a lesser spec than what your currently offering?

My 'older' msp comes in at around £60 a month, I can get almost double spec in everything for £50 a month.. in this situation why wouldn't i contribute to your turnover?

marks
28-11-2013, 09:41
Quote Originally Posted by IanUK
Someone asked earlier in this thread what would happen to existing customers on the older KS ranges, I've had a server for over a year and am still paying the older much higher rates (almost double), do you want us to ditch our older server and buy a new one ? Doesn't that create the same problem you are trying to avoid ?

We really need an answer on this.

I also agree that the setup fee is a bad idea, pretty much every other hosting company seems to have got rid of them.

Hope it helps

dayvo
28-11-2013, 09:19
I guess I need to clarify first if I'm actually allowed to buy a Xeon-1 or Xeon-2 as im in the UK?

dayvo
28-11-2013, 08:51
Quote Originally Posted by IanUK
Someone asked earlier in this thread what would happen to existing customers on the older KS ranges, I've had a server for over a year and am still paying the older much higher rates (almost double), do you want us to ditch our older server and buy a new one ? Doesn't that create the same problem you are trying to avoid ?

I also agree that the setup fee is a bad idea, pretty much every other hosting company seems to have got rid of them.
I would also be interested to know if my msp server will drop in price, as im curently paying more than the Xeon-1 which is a much higher spec than my 4 - 5 month old server. If the price wont drop then I will naturally ditch the server for a new one, creating turnover..

Drop the price on my old one to reflect the cost of the new ones and you might find I keep it _and_ take out a new server - which is what you want, right?

IanUK
27-11-2013, 22:50

ctype_alnum
27-11-2013, 12:12
That's the problem - not the legal stuff. Just they don't give a.... about UK customers.
Well let them get on with it! The UK is a big market so they'll pay the price eventually plus there are plenty of other providers about.

elcct
27-11-2013, 12:05
The french laywers don't have to wait 1-2 weeks for a translation to materialise first?
That's the problem - not the legal stuff. Just they don't give a.... about UK customers.

Kode
27-11-2013, 11:28
I don't think so. French lawyers have no problem with that.
The french laywers don't have to wait 1-2 weeks for a translation to materialise first?

elcct
27-11-2013, 10:53
*edit* that's probably why it's taking so long for the UK to sort out the legal stuff, no doubt the lawyers have decided playing whack-a-mole is a waste of their time and are waiting till there is a tangable service on offer that sticks around for more than 5 minutes.
I don't think so. French lawyers have no problem with that.

dayvo
27-11-2013, 08:58
They need to release some servers that are actually for sale before they can dream of setup fees

theatheist
27-11-2013, 02:47
Who would like to have a bet that OVH is now going to introduce setup fees again across the board?

If not I don't see how/why anybody would choose the SYS brand? Tbh I don't see why they would even without setup fees.

Trapper
27-11-2013, 00:18
Has this changed as http://www.soyoustart.com/fr/offres/xeon-1.html states that you only receive 1 (one) IPv4 address with the option of 5 fail-over at $2 each.
Yes - it has probably changed, and will no doubt change again. It only seems like a day or two since I read that SYS will have NO options, and certainly no extra costs...

~Trap

Kode
26-11-2013, 22:41
Has this changed as http://www.soyoustart.com/fr/offres/xeon-1.html states that you only receive 1 (one) IPv4 address with the option of 5 fail-over at $2 each.
By the time we can actually purchase it no doubt it will have changed again, Its like OVH are playing a continous game of chinese whispers where things change ever so slightly every day.

*edit* that's probably why it's taking so long for the UK to sort out the legal stuff, no doubt the lawyers have decided playing whack-a-mole is a waste of their time and are waiting till there is a tangable service on offer that sticks around for more than 5 minutes.

village_i_diot
26-11-2013, 18:34
Quote Originally Posted by S0phie
Hello,

In addition to the server's IPv4, we also include 3 IPv4s as standard which are linked to the server. They are static IPv4s. The server is connected in 1Gbps to our global network of 2.5Tbps capacity, and it has 200Mbps guaranteed bandwidth. We also include anti-DDoS.

Tz-OVH
26-11-2013, 06:53
Quote Originally Posted by bhanuprasad1981
do we need to create a new nick to order on sys ? its not accepting my ovh nic
Yes, you'll get a new NIC/ID for SYS.

From Page 1 of this thread:

Your SoYouStart.com customer ID will not be the same as your OVH NIC. We have chosen to create a real division between our brand names (like the mobile operators have done). You also get a SYS Manager that only manages SYS servers and offers basic operations. Each server can have 2 IDs.

bhanuprasad1981
26-11-2013, 06:34
do we need to create a new nick to order on sys ? its not accepting my ovh nic

Daraiko
24-11-2013, 14:17
Maybe it's time to charge people for your projects, then you could afford something better...
Yeah your right, but mostly it's just personal development project for my own sake (learning etc)..

wii89
24-11-2013, 13:32
I still don't get the point of setting up another website just to sell sp mini's with a setup fee. I'm am a student as well and I use Proxmox on the server with 3 IP fall overs.

OVH messed up when they released there 2013 range and I don't think they will be able to recover from this, especially not selling servers for 3 months. A lot of people have gone to different providers and will not come back.

elcct
24-11-2013, 11:35
Quote Originally Posted by Daraiko
Hmm even KS has a setup fee :-/
Wonder if it will be all servers now that will require setup-fee..

I work with proxmox, and run many services from web sites, databases and game servers on my single server! (mSP 2012).
I am a student, and play around a lot, so for me having a good server, with proxmox and some IPs is just perfect (due to backup/restore and all the other wonderful features that come with proxmox!)
But since i am a student, the price is a major factor as well.. the €49 a month plus a small kimsufi for VZ backup + etc server is my maximum limit..

And when i have to pay double that in setup fee, it's just too much..

I really hope they will find another way.. (like the price reduction over time??)
I didn't upgrade my server to a 2013 edition, because i didn't have the need, but soon i will be in need to upgrade, to a bit better model to keep up with my projects for the next couple of years but if these fees are imposed, i just can't.. :-/

I think it's a very bad idea ovh... :'(
Maybe it's time to charge people for your projects, then you could afford something better...

TheGeekster
24-11-2013, 10:56
Quote Originally Posted by Daraiko

I work with proxmox, and run many services from web sites, databases and game servers on my single server! (mSP 2012).
I am a student, and play around a lot, so for me having a good server, with proxmox and some IPs is just perfect (due to backup/restore and all the other wonderful features that come with proxmox!)
But since i am a student, the price is a major factor as well.. the €49 a month plus a small kimsufi for VZ backup + etc server is my maximum limit..

I really hope they will find another way.. (like the price reduction over time??)
I didn't upgrade my server to a 2013 edition, because i didn't have the need, but soon i will be in need to upgrade, to a bit better model to keep up with my projects for the next couple of years but if these fees are imposed, i just can't.. :-/

I feel your pain, but they can't please everyone in different situations. I run servers mainly for free, set up fee is going to be a pain in the ass, but it just means I have to wait a month longer than I had planned and use the first month's pay to cover it.

Daraiko
24-11-2013, 07:38

AdamD
23-11-2013, 23:20
Still left wondering what the point of this new "idea" is
I'm sure Oles is bipolar or something, he can never seem to make up his mind.

Myatu
23-11-2013, 18:54
I thought Oles didn't want to go back to those days.
Oleon likes to do whatever he wants, regardless if it goes against the grain.

macole111
23-11-2013, 16:04
So no more failover IPs, why do SYS have a setup fee? I thought Oles didn't want to go back to those days.

OVH is losing more and more ground to it's competitors...

-macole111

theatheist
23-11-2013, 15:02
Ok so its now been confirmed by Oles (via twitter) that the mSP on OVH is no more and will only be sold via SYS with a setup fee.

"mSP is on the http://soyoustart.com and http://ovh.com it will start with the SP-64 .."

alex
22-11-2013, 23:04
any reason why the IP addresses so ridiculously expensive? Can I use my own ones? As I can rent cheaper than $0.5 and I can re-rent you (OVH) at $5+VAT (+MOT+other crap I think of) per IP/per hour? Deal?

LinuxGam
22-11-2013, 22:46
Quote Originally Posted by theatheist
So are the install fees going to return for OVH brand?
Is there a limit per person on the SYS brand like KS?
With the current offer on the French market and the price, I suspect they wont need a limit on SYS

theatheist
22-11-2013, 22:45
Sorry didnt mean to quote there, pressed wrong reply button. Also seem to have an issue editing posts, after clicking edit none of the buttons work like Edit/Advanced/Cancel? Anybody else?

theatheist
22-11-2013, 22:43
That is what I think is happening. A typical case of marketing coming before technology, I would have thought OVH are above this but apparently not. Remember you are selling to IT professionals OVH!

-macole111

So are the install fees going to return for OVH brand?
Is there a limit per person on the SYS brand like KS?

macole111
22-11-2013, 20:37
That is what I think is happening. A typical case of marketing coming before technology, I would have thought OVH are above this but apparently not. Remember you are selling to IT professionals OVH!

-macole111

TheGeekster
22-11-2013, 19:14
Quote Originally Posted by Neil
You cannot move them to a soyoustart server (currently) but you will still be able to move them to a new OVH server model.
The servers are in an OVH database, the servers are connected to the OVH network, the servers are owned by OVH, the servers are controlled by the same system as OVH servers (To my knowledge, it would seem stupid to have multiple systems for one datacenter)

This makes them, OVH servers?

Again I apologise if I've massively got the wrong end of the stick.

Neil
22-11-2013, 13:26
Quote Originally Posted by mike_
lol so on top of my server fee I'm paying about £15/month for failover IPs, that I can't even move to a new server if I upgrade?
You cannot move them to a soyoustart server (currently) but you will still be able to move them to a new OVH server model.

macole111
22-11-2013, 12:43
Nice one OVH...

-macole111

mike_
22-11-2013, 11:53
lol so on top of my server fee I'm paying about £15/month for failover IPs, that I can't even move to a new server if I upgrade?

TheGeekster
22-11-2013, 11:23
No, since they are managed in different control panel.
That... kinda... restricts the usefulness of IP failovers surely? For example someone has an older web server that has reached capacity, they want to upgrade to one of the new soyoustart.com servers... yet, they can't move the IP which is with the same company, probably same datacenter over? Not a dig at them at all, just, seems, meh?

village_i_diot
22-11-2013, 10:47
So everything we offer at the level of SYS is included as standard and there are no paid options any more. The price is as displayed on the website and you won't pay more because of this or that.
Does this mean there is no failover IPs available on this range now? ie you get 4 IP's and you can't get any more

Neil
22-11-2013, 09:14
Exactly what I meant.

-macole111
No, since they are managed in different control panel.

Killerc
21-11-2013, 22:22
The setup fees are €49/month.
I assume the /month part on that is a typo and that the setup fee is actually one off and not per month?

macole111
21-11-2013, 21:08
They stay the same, the SYS servers are new servers which come with static IPs intended for Website use like SSL.
Quote Originally Posted by mike_
Can existing failover IPs be failed over to a SYS server?
Exactly what I meant.

-macole111

mike_
21-11-2013, 18:32
They stay the same, the SYS servers are new servers which come with static IPs intended for Website use like SSL.
Can existing failover IPs be failed over to a SYS server?

Neil
21-11-2013, 17:59
What about failover IPs we already have?
-macole111

macole111
21-11-2013, 16:33
What about failover IPs we already have?

What are you doing for existing customers, OVH?

I rent a KS-16G with a base price of £34.99/month which is over €40. You've increased the cost to pay for a broken VAC, taken away the real support, stopped me from adding new IPs despite the advertised limit being 32, etc. Now you're talking about getting SYS down to €30?! Why am I being treated like a second-class customer when I'm already paying more than the new SYS customers? Do you want me to upgrade to SYS? That will increase your turnover which you're trying to prevent! Are you going to give me a discount (I've had this server over two years now) or are you going to revert me back to the service level that was originally advertised? _mike
I completely agree, I have a load of IP failovers on a 16G that I can't afford to move to a new server as all the new offers in that price range are no-failover, nor can I add more to it for my projects.

-macole111

elcct
21-11-2013, 16:17
What's the difference between failover IPs and Static IPs? It says you get 4 Static IPs? Is that you get them by default or you have to request them? Price is included or extra per IP?
Difference is that you can't assign static IP to a different machine. So if one fails you can't immediately switch traffic to the backup one.

Kode
21-11-2013, 15:57
What's the difference between failover IPs and Static IPs? It says you get 4 Static IPs? Is that you get them by default or you have to request them? Price is included or extra per IP?

Kode
21-11-2013, 13:14
I pay for my servers mostly through contributions, so its easier and more convenient to pay for them for a year up front however there is no other real benefits to doing this and if I decided to cancel with 3 months remaining I have no idea if I'd get that 3 months back (all I do know is if they decide you have broken their terms say 3 months into the 12 months you would get absolutely nothing back).

I'm hoping they have general availability by middle of December, but either way it looks like I am going to be adding to their turnover as 1 of 3 possibilities exist:

1) They reduce the prices of my current servers in line with how they stack up against mSP (1 same spec, 1 lower spec) - No turnover but least likely
2) They have general availability of servers that are better/same specced as my current server but at a cheaper price - Turnover but I stay as a customer
3) Neither of the above happen and I depart for http://www.hetzner.de/en/hosting/pro...ootserver/ex40 - Turnover and a lost customer

dayvo
21-11-2013, 13:11
Cant say I was a big fan of it, but then neither am I a fan of being left in the dark and wanting more servers but not allowed to buy any..

TheGeekster
21-11-2013, 13:09
I've used hosts in the past which have allowed a monthly billing cycle but you are contracted to keep the server for a minimum of 12 months. Like with mobile phone contracts, should you want to cancel within the first 12 months you would be expected to pay the outstanding months
Ahhh, not found any like that. Then again haven't used any of the larger ones like softlayer etc

dayvo
21-11-2013, 13:07
Trouble is that is why most people pick OVH, because of the shorter term contracts. I mean I for one wouldn't be able to afford a 12 month contract in one go.
I've used hosts in the past which have allowed a monthly billing cycle but you are contracted to keep the server for a minimum of 12 months. Like with mobile phone contracts, should you want to cancel within the first 12 months you would be expected to pay the outstanding months

TheGeekster
21-11-2013, 13:03
What did they expect with a 30 day rolling contract though.. Whilst I like the fact I can cancel my servers within 30 days, it wont help their turnover in the slightest.. especially when new, better and more affordable servers were being released.

Trouble is that is why most people pick OVH, because of the shorter term contracts. I mean I for one wouldn't be able to afford a 12 month contract in one go.

dayvo
21-11-2013, 12:55
Oh ok, my mistake - previous companies I'd used were all 12 months

mike_
21-11-2013, 12:53
What did they expect with a 30 day rolling contract though.. Whilst I like the fact I can cancel my servers within 30 days, it wont help their turnover in the slightest.. especially when new, better and more affordable servers were being released.
Most places have 30 day contracts now. OVH have to compete.

dayvo
21-11-2013, 12:48
Probably neither, they seem to be solving the turnover issue by limiting availability / having no availability of alternative servers, so you either stick with your current server or have no server at all.

Kode
21-11-2013, 12:37
Probably neither, they seem to be solving the turnover issue by limiting availability / having no availability of alternative servers, so you either stick with your current server or have no server at all.

mike_
21-11-2013, 12:00
What are you doing for existing customers, OVH?

I rent a KS-16G with a base price of £34.99/month which is over €40. You've increased the cost to pay for a broken VAC, taken away the real support, stopped me from adding new IPs despite the advertised limit being 32, etc. Now you're talking about getting SYS down to €30?! Why am I being treated like a second-class customer when I'm already paying more than the new SYS customers? Do you want me to upgrade to SYS? That will increase your turnover which you're trying to prevent! Are you going to give me a discount (I've had this server over two years now) or are you going to revert me back to the service level that was originally advertised?

macole111
21-11-2013, 11:41
Failover IPs should be included, how else are people going to use it for some of their projects? I respect about the 80% of mSP customers didn't take anything, but what about that 20%? That is still a large number.

Why do OVH insist on shooting themselves in the foot?

-macole111

crowarth
21-11-2013, 11:21
New features soon to be included are the IPMI (KVM and DMZ).
having that included in the price is pretty good - if it's anything like Dells iDRAC it will be pretty decent

Kode
21-11-2013, 11:09
Wow, Oles is actually listening to his customers for once (have been reading through the google translated french forum on these offers), as I said above at £20-£30 these could be great little servers, at £40+ it's a bitter pill to swallow.

*edit* it's especially weird after the theatre of people voting on server offers that these Avoton were even introduced? What customers would vote for a processor no-one knows anything about for a production environment?

NatdaS
21-11-2013, 10:57
Hello,

Thanks for all the feedback.

What we understand is that we were wrong to make you discover
one of the most interesting new technologies. We should have delivered
500 or 1000 servers to you for free so you could test the new CPU
and realise the real value, and following your feedback, decide if there's
a place for it on dedicated servers or not, bearing in mind the cost.

Given the costs of this platform and your expectations in terms of
price/month, we are putting Avoton on standby while the price is being
discussed with Intel, in an attempt to offer the platform at €30/month
rather than €40/month. Meanwhile, it's more interesting in terms of cost,
to start out again on standard platforms based on the Intel E3-12XXv3
CPU and the price level you are expecting.

Let us take time to turn things around and to come back to you with a
better proposition.

Regards,

Octave

TheGeekster
21-11-2013, 10:48
Intel atom.

Intel atom. No matter how many times they say it's powerful, it's just, not. It's intel atom.

Awaiting real life benchmarks and general usage before judgement but, not got my hopes up too high.

Probably still grab one if it's £35 a month anyway, will go well with my £20 a month intel core 2 duo 2gb ram, 1tb hard drive server from 2 years ago

Kode
21-11-2013, 10:28
So Kimsufi hardware (the c2750 is an atom processor, and initial benchmarks show the c2750 being destroyed by an e3-1230, never mind a 1245) at OVH prices, not only that but as a new platform there are bound to be bugs and compatability issues.

Priced at £20 - £30 this would be a cracking deal, at mSP prices, not so much.

*edit* Not to mention smaller harddrives (2 x 1TB vs 2 x 2TB), longer intervention time (2hrs vs 1hr), longer repair time (6hrs vs 4hrs), less options (none vs current), and a setup fee.

S0phie
21-11-2013, 09:53
Hello,

Following the turnover and Sold-Out situation in September/August, we decided to change the model business and to redevelop how we
offer dedicated server services to our customers. Today, you rent over 150,000 servers from us under 2 brand names: OVH and Kimsufi.

Everyday you ask us for technological innovation but at the best price. This is the compromise that has allowed us to become n°1 globally in
dedicated server rentals. What's more, we are very keen to reach 200,000 or 300,000 physical servers in our datacentres.

To achieve this, we must not only continue to innovate, but we must also make our customers more loyal to their existing servers. We have
to motivate you to keep your existing server for as long as possible, while leaving you free...

Our model business has been deeply reconsidered and we will explain it to you in a few days, when the ranges are relaunched on the OVH website. In the meantime, and after the reopening of Kimsufi, one of the elements of this remodelling is the creation of a new brand, in order to offer servers from €20 to €50/month:

SYS
SoYouStart.com

Why create a new brand name?
------------------------------------
The highest turnover was linked to mSP servers at €40/month. We spent a lot of time studying all the €40 mSP customers to determine their
motivations and what they would do with the servers. In 80% of cases, the €40 mSP customer did not take any optional extras, not even an
IPv4 Failover. Nothing. Nada.

So we had discussions with these customers to understand their motivations for taking a server at €40/month anyway, even if it's not
really for any particular purpose!? The customers told us that it's for business purposes and the Kimsufi range is not sufficient. For €40/month,
these customers are after excellent hardware support so that, in the event of a problem, repairs are carried out quickly, without long waiting times. Basically, they just want super hardware plus hardware support, at an inexpensive price. Why inexpensive? Because many cases involve internet startup business, whether it's starting from scratch, or an existing business launching a new project. So instead of opting for of Public Cloud and paying by the hour, customers prefer to take the complete dedicated server to carry out the development work with peace of mind and budget control.

This is where the idea for "So You Start" came from, i.e. from: "I want something better than Kimsufi, something more professional, but I don't want to/cannot pay for the full OVH service yet." So we didn't reuse the Kimsufi brand because it's an introductory range brand. We also didn't want to mix this business with OVH, so as to clearly differentiate the SYS servers from the 3 new ranges that we will be offering
on the OVH website.

Voilà, that's why we decided to create the new brand, offering excellent hardware and SLAs, and knock-out prices above all, in order to develop
a new business.

Offer
-----
Above all, we are totally abandoning the principle of paid options galore. We want to offer a clear and "all inclusive" price. In contrast to the market which offers inexpensive servers with plenty of paid options, with almost all of which being obligatory (or you don't get a decent service), we decided to reconsider the basis of "no hidden fees" and offer an "all inclusive" service.

So everything we offer at the level of SYS is included as standard and there are no paid options any more. The price is as displayed on the website and you won't pay more because of this or that.

In addition to the server's IPv4, we also include 3 IPv4s as standard which are linked to the server. They are static IPv4s. The server is connected in 1Gbps to our global network of 2.5Tbps capacity, and it has 200Mbps guaranteed bandwidth. We also include anti-DDoS.

New features soon to be included are the IPMI (KVM and DMZ). The 1st enables you to have control of the server in the event of problem, and 2nd enables you to create a private network between your SYS servers. Everything is always included by default in the base price.

From the 6th month of the server rental, the rental price automatically decreases by -5%. After 12 months by-10%, after 18 months -15%, and after 24 months by -20% (in relation to the initial rental price paid).

We're including a new type of support based on FASS and SWAT, enabling exceptional 24/7 response times, to resolve all server hardware problems. A new, independent in-house team with only one entry point in terms of phone and email.

Your SoYouStart.com customer ID will not be the same as your OVH NIC. We have chosen to create a real division between our brand names (like the mobile operators have done). You also get a SYS Manager that only manages SYS servers and offers basic operations. Each server can have 2 IDs.

The only extra to pay is the distribution which may (Linux, ESXi,...) or may not (Windows) be free.

Hardware
--------
2 months ago, we took part in the global launch of the new Intel platform: Avoton. We have since collaborated with Intel on setting up the 1st offers based on this new CPU.

This new CPU is... different. It's Intel C2750, which is an 8 cores/8 threads with VT on 8 cores, instead of 4 cores HT on a Xeon E3. It integrates the AES instructions which enable hardware encryption. It runs at 2.4GHz per core and executes the instructions without having to reorder them like a E3 would. It's expected to run up to 64 GB RAM, ECC of course, instead of 32 GB for E3. The C2750 is different, and that's the thing.

C2750 is not adapted to game servers. On the other hand, for Web, SQL, Email, video and especially for virtualisation requirements, it's absolutely perfect. And that's good because the SYS is planned for web business.

PS: We're preparing a special range of servers for gamers which will be...??? (CENSORED!)... all in good time... Concerning E3, we will of course use it for Public Cloud pCI, on the same level as the Avoton or E5.

Let's go back to Avoton and web business. Thanks to the privileged relationship we have with Intel, we are the 1st hosting provider in the world to launch the Avoton on the market. It's a very exciting moment! We thank Intel for giving us this opportunity by delivering the 1st cards
to us only last Friday... These new servers are already in the racks in very limited quantities, but are still undergoing validation tests for distribution installations.

Basically, it's all red hot and brand new ...and totally unknown. As nobody has ever tested these servers, there's no comparison or feedback on this new platform. No customer has yet seen how the platform performs in reality for a website with SQL, none on virtualisation ESXi 5.5, none on Proxmox... During our first tests we noticed that the distributions are yet not optimised for this new CPU and are not yet capable of fully exploiting all the resources of the platform.

We have 90 servers in our racks. Yes, only 90 today, in November 2013. They will go very quickly. Like Intel, we are awaiting feedback on this new platform to validate that this is the platform you were expecting for the SYS servers. We expect to add other SYS servers as soon as we receive the new motherboards. The waiting time is long and we're not the only ones to have ordered them. For the month of December, we will have also a 2nd type of CPU, Intel C2550, which is a 4 cores/4 threads at 2.4GHz. ...we'll talk about again this again nearer the time.

I forgot to mention - the server is offered with 32 GB RAM and 2 x 1 TB disks at €40.99/month and the Hybrid version with 2 x 1 TB + 2 x 160G SSD is at €60.99/month. The setup fees are €49/month.

So... do you start? ... if so, here's where you need to go: http://www.soyoustart.com

[Note from UK team: soyoustart.co.uk will be launched in a few weeks, the time to finish the translation of the website, control panel and validation of the new terms and conditions]

Best wishes,

Octave