OVH Community, your new community space.

Help Installing Custom OS / Parallels Cloud Server

AaronMcH
25-11-2013, 12:19
Quote Originally Posted by DigitalDaz
Its many years since I have attempted these sort of things and I don't know if this will help but I once managed to replace an OS remotely by getting a small install running in the swap space then ssh into my system running in swap I was able to dd the root filesystem onto the main / partition.
Hi thanks for the reply, I had also thought about doing something like that so might give that a go.

Thanks
Aaron

DigitalDaz
24-11-2013, 01:02
Quote Originally Posted by AaronMcH
Hi, I would like to be able to install a custom operating system onto one of my dedicated servers, specifically Parallels Cloud Server, the problem is that OVH don't provide an installation template for it.

Parallels Cloud Server (for those that don't know) is a distribution of Linux built on top of Cloud Linux, which in turn is built in top of RedHat.

My current theory regarding how I might be able to do this is to boot the server using Rescue-Pro, install VirtualBox, mount the server's main hard drive (with partitions and raid intact) in a VirtualBox Virtual Machine, and then install it through the virtual machine onto the physical hard drive. Once done, boot the server using the hard drives, and the PCS should be running on the server.

My only issue with the above is I don't know how I would successfully do this. Do anyone have any ideas as to how I would go about doing the above, or if it would even work properly? Or can anyone suggest a better method for doing this?

Also, if anyone from OVH reads this it would be great if Parallels Cloud Server could be made available as an installation template, since it's now replacing Parallels Virtuozzo Containers for Linux, which is in the installation template list. However the version for Virtuozzo is 7 versions behind (at 4.0, when the current version is 4.7), thus making it impossible to even use, since when I try to create a Container using it, it can't cache any of the repositories due to the fact the system is trying to access old and non existent parts of repositories.

Thank you
Aaron
Its many years since I have attempted these sort of things and I don't know if this will help but I once managed to replace an OS remotely by getting a small install running in the swap space then ssh into my system running in swap I was able to dd the root filesystem onto the main / partition.

AaronMcH
23-11-2013, 22:34
Hi, I would like to be able to install a custom operating system onto one of my dedicated servers, specifically Parallels Cloud Server, the problem is that OVH don't provide an installation template for it.

Parallels Cloud Server (for those that don't know) is a distribution of Linux built on top of Cloud Linux, which in turn is built in top of RedHat.

My current theory regarding how I might be able to do this is to boot the server using Rescue-Pro, install VirtualBox, mount the server's main hard drive (with partitions and raid intact) in a VirtualBox Virtual Machine, and then install it through the virtual machine onto the physical hard drive. Once done, boot the server using the hard drives, and the PCS should be running on the server.

My only issue with the above is I don't know how I would successfully do this. Do anyone have any ideas as to how I would go about doing the above, or if it would even work properly? Or can anyone suggest a better method for doing this?

Also, if anyone from OVH reads this it would be great if Parallels Cloud Server could be made available as an installation template, since it's now replacing Parallels Virtuozzo Containers for Linux, which is in the installation template list. However the version for Virtuozzo is 7 versions behind (at 4.0, when the current version is 4.7), thus making it impossible to even use, since when I try to create a Container using it, it can't cache any of the repositories due to the fact the system is trying to access old and non existent parts of repositories.

Thank you
Aaron