OVH Community, your new community space.

Sold-Out Finishes Wednesday Afternoon!!!!

HostRange
29-11-2013, 17:10
The French can purchase them now without tokens/codes

dayvo
29-11-2013, 12:55
Quote Originally Posted by S0phie
brokers website should be launched in December (before Xmas ;-))

There'll be only 1 website for all countries.

We're still working on it so I can't give you more details yet but I assume there will be additional checks. I don't think providing a registration number will be enough. We post more information here in the coming days.
Thank you for the information.

S0phie
29-11-2013, 12:52
brokers website should be launched in December (before Xmas ;-))

There'll be only 1 website for all countries.

We're still working on it so I can't give you more details yet but I assume there will be additional checks. I don't think providing a registration number will be enough. We post more information here in the coming days.

dayvo
29-11-2013, 12:24
Quote Originally Posted by Neil
Fixed, she was referring to this post http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.ph...DS2014-Brokers
Thanks.

When will the broker site be ready for UK customers?

In order to use the broker site are we only required to hold a company registration number - or will there be additional checks?

Neil
29-11-2013, 12:08
Fixed, she was referring to this post http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.ph...DS2014-Brokers

dayvo
29-11-2013, 11:51
For further information about broker website, you can find the details here: http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.ph...DS2014-Brokers
The link didnt post correctly S0phie:

Object not found!

The requested URL was not found on this server. The link on the referring page seems to be wrong or outdated. Please inform the author of that page about the error.

If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.

Error 404

forum.ovh.co.uk
Fri Nov 29 12:50:05 2013
Apache/2.2.26 (Unix) PHP/5.3.3-7+squeeze17 with Suhosin-Patch

S0phie
29-11-2013, 10:12
Quote Originally Posted by theatheist
Can you please give more details about the Brokers website? Not really ETA as they mean zero with OVH but details about the site itself and what will be on offer, any setup fees etc, will prices be same as when server was previous sold or cheaper??
For further information about broker website, you can find the details here: http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.ph...DS2014-Brokers

sdousley
29-11-2013, 09:45
If you haven't place a manual order, then you're not on the waiting list. I'll keep you informed here about the token by Monday.
Hi SOphie, I haven't placed an order, though it's not through lack of trying! I guess I'll have to wait a bit more. Kinda annoying as a new customer - therefore not adding to the whole turnover issue that this is all in place to avoid but ah well. I've waited long enough, a little longer won't hurt

ctype_alnum
29-11-2013, 09:27
Quote Originally Posted by elcct
Google Translate:

Starting Friday we will reopen the command to all the world and start delivering high volume

http://forum.ovh.com/showthread.php?...e-2014-Ovh-com
I hope they can provision a "high volume" of servers.

elcct
29-11-2013, 02:16
Link or quote or didnt happen!
Google Translate:

Starting Friday we will reopen the command to all the world and start delivering high volume

http://forum.ovh.com/showthread.php?...e-2014-Ovh-com

Trapper
28-11-2013, 23:53
Quote Originally Posted by Trapper
I think a setup fee is fine. The only people who object to this are those who cause turn-over.
Quote Originally Posted by mike_
That's a bit of a generalisation. I'd like to upgrade from my KS-16G which I've had for over two years (OVH have defined turnover as people changing servers after less than two years). The setup fee is going to impact me as I don't make any money from my server. I certainly object to it, especially as it isn't even waived when you sign up for a whole year.

That said I'll probably not upgrade. I can't transfer my IPs to a SYS server. If I'm going to suffer that kind of disruption I might as well go elsewhere...
I still stand by this. People like us who keep a server generally for 2 to 5 years are going to be paying 1 or 2 extra per month over the life of the server. People who change server (sometimes before they change underwear) will be penalised by (effectively) paying much more per month.

If Oles stands by his word, and introduces some form of scaling back on prices, the longer you hold a server, you and I will probably get a better deal, as the extra spent on a setup fee will effectively be returned via reduced prices later.

"everyone" objects to paying more than they did in the past. But as soon as you understand OVH could not have survived, if they continued as they were, you must understand that it is a necessary evil.

That said, I have been forced to go elsewhere by the lack of available servers, and the criminal reduction in support. What I have found elsewhere is just as good, if not better than the current offerings here (based on my requirements & usage).

~Trap

theatheist
28-11-2013, 23:22
No update yet for KS.

Next step after SYS and OVH: Brokers website
Can you please give more details about the Brokers website? Not really ETA as they mean zero with OVH but details about the site itself and what will be on offer, any setup fees etc, will prices be same as when server was previous sold or cheaper??

Could you also please explain why the setup fees are so ridiculously high on OVH? I thought OVH was going to start reduce price on long term servers to reduce turnover?

theatheist
28-11-2013, 23:18
On the French forum (yay i can read French!) i saw that Oles said rest of the world will be on Friday...
Link or quote or didnt happen!

S0phie
28-11-2013, 18:39
Quote Originally Posted by sdousley
But ... I TRIED to place a manual order only a few days after the "Sold Out" fiasco started, and was told straight up that I couldn't. Does this mean that I am in the list to get a token when they are available? Or is it a case of the people OVH felt kind enough to take a manual order for will get the tokens in question?
If you haven't place a manual order, then you're not on the waiting list. I'll keep you informed here about the token by Monday.

mike_
28-11-2013, 17:58

I think a setup fee is fine. The only people who object to this are those who cause turn-over.
That's a bit of a generalisation. I'd like to upgrade from my KS-16G which I've had for over two years (OVH have defined turnover as people changing servers after less than two years). The setup fee is going to impact me as I don't make any money from my server. I certainly object to it, especially as it isn't even waived when you sign up for a whole year.

That said I'll probably not upgrade. I can't transfer my IPs to a SYS server. If I'm going to suffer that kind of disruption I might as well go elsewhere...

Trapper
28-11-2013, 17:17
...in case of unforeseen plans ...

For "unforeseen plans" read "Oles tells us something which he has decided to keep to himself for the time being" OR "Oles changed his mind"

(Not knocking at you S0phie, just had to be said)

Quote Originally Posted by avizeke
a setup fee. what a joke,

Whilst I do not think the "churn" is as harmful as Oles seems to, this IS what the setup fee is about....

Quote Originally Posted by externo6
What about Kimsufi?
Why is this taking so long?

Good point, although of little interest to me, it is still odd that the French have had a website for this for some time...

~Trap

externo6
28-11-2013, 17:02
Quote Originally Posted by marks
it was already pointed out before that the launch was for ovh.com (FR) and the UK and the rest of the countries will come within a few weeks.
What about Kimsufi?
Why is this taking so long?
**Edit just saw Sophies post

sdousley
28-11-2013, 16:56
ATherefore, we will first contact all UK customers who placed a manual order for the last few weeks/months. These customers will be privileged and they will get a code to allow them to get an OVH server.
But ... I TRIED to place a manual order only a few days after the "Sold Out" fiasco started, and was told straight up that I couldn't. Does this mean that I am in the list to get a token when they are available? Or is it a case of the people OVH felt kind enough to take a manual order for will get the tokens in question?

elcct
28-11-2013, 16:27
I noticed in Infrastructure range they use E5-1620v2 with 32GB. That is a great waste of money. Why not E3 - it is much cheaper, offers similar perfomance and uses less energy.

Using E5 with less than 64 GB is really pointless.

TheGeekster
28-11-2013, 16:26
Quote Originally Posted by HostRange
Setup fee won't really effect me however these ranges are not for people like me who sell VM's

I would much rather have 2x mSP for the same price as one of the new http://www.ovh.com/fr/serveurs_dedies/hosting/ Host-32 or even Host-64

Please bring the auction Hetzner has to OVH so I can buy some mSP people don't want
That, could be a good idea. I mean the amount of server turnover, their going to have a lot of older stuff, already set up in racks, waiting to go. No setup fee for this stuff would entice a lot of customers, the old hardware is still damn good for most things?

Also @avizeke, seriously, if your that annoyed, just go to hetzner.

HostRange
28-11-2013, 16:06
Setup fee won't really effect me however these ranges are not for people like me who sell VM's

I would much rather have 2x mSP for the same price as one of the new http://www.ovh.com/fr/serveurs_dedies/hosting/ Host-32 or even Host-64

Please bring the auction Hetzner has to OVH so I can buy some mSP people don't want

avizeke
28-11-2013, 15:55
a setup fee. what a joke, that will find alot of business in europe going other places like hetzner. So what if they have a history, OVH are getting one as well. a setup fee is just a joke...

as for the early next week ! we have been waiting close to 6 weeks and then we are told at the end of the month which is sundey but now your saying early next week. just laughable. For once you over paid douche's do somthing usefull.

seperate websites..... 6 weeks no orders...... complicated vision on the new plan..... and poor poor poor instruction on telling your customers,crosses my mind paying iran 100 euros to buy me a nuke so i can screem alalalala down to the roubix data centre. i swear ovh is only ran by three people. no wait that would be an overstatement.

S0phie
28-11-2013, 13:41
Quote Originally Posted by ben1390
Thanks for the update S0phie, does this also apply to Kimsufi servers?
No update yet for KS.

Next step after SYS and OVH: Brokers website

ben1390
28-11-2013, 12:59
Thanks for the update S0phie, does this also apply to Kimsufi servers?

TheGeekster
28-11-2013, 12:52
Codes should be emailed to customers who placed a manual order shortly after the launch of the website.
Thank you

Vmlweb
28-11-2013, 12:26
I'm just wondering if you could clear up a quick question about the HOST offerings.

There are two options with SSDs, Hard or Soft RAID.
Is Hard Raid CacheCade? or are both options just secondary ssd drives?

Oh and are we able to install the OS onto the SSD?

S0phie
28-11-2013, 12:22
Quote Originally Posted by TheGeekster
Also just a little curious as to when the coupon/code people will know they have a code? At least progress
Codes should be emailed to customers who placed a manual order shortly after the launch of the website.

S0phie
28-11-2013, 12:19
Quote Originally Posted by dayvo
I love the careful wording of 'should' - have confidence and give us a 'will'..
Just in case of unforeseen plans

but if you want I can reword it "Both websites will be launched early next week"

TheGeekster
28-11-2013, 12:14
Quote Originally Posted by Vmlweb
Awesome thanks!
And when will non-coupon customers be able to order?
Also just a little curious as to when the coupon/code people will know they have a code? At least progress

S0phie
28-11-2013, 12:13
Quote Originally Posted by Vmlweb
Awesome thanks!
Should be available 24 hours after the launch, I'll keep you updated if there is any changes about that

dayvo
28-11-2013, 12:11
ok let me clarify this:

soyoustart.co.uk and ovh.co.uk should be launched early next week
I love the careful wording of 'should' - have confidence and give us a 'will'..

Vmlweb
28-11-2013, 12:09
ok let me clarify this:

Awesome thanks!

S0phie
28-11-2013, 12:04
ok let me clarify this:

elcct
28-11-2013, 11:29
On the French forum (yay i can read French!) i saw that Oles said rest of the world will be on Friday...

ben1390
28-11-2013, 11:06
it was already pointed out before that the launch was for ovh.com (FR) and the UK and the rest of the countries will come within a few weeks.
S0phie has said that ovh.co.uk will be launched "a bit later" you are saying it will be "within a few weeks" can we have something more specific?

As for this token system, do you know when you are planning on sending these out?

Come on OVH, this is basic customer service here!

crowarth
28-11-2013, 10:48
A few weeks? Ouch

marks
28-11-2013, 10:41
Quote Originally Posted by ben1390
Well it's now Thursday and surprise surprise the sold-out still continues...

ben1390
28-11-2013, 10:15
Well it's now Thursday and surprise surprise the sold-out still continues...

dayvo
28-11-2013, 09:17
Quote Originally Posted by LinuxGam
French is an Italic language descended from the spoken Latin language of the Roman Empire; "sec" was first used by the Romans when they went to war traveling for hundreds of days by foot and their wife's would ask, "When will you be home", they replied "not more than 120 secs" to keep their wife calm.

So there you have it. The other issue is they would often go off to conquer one country, just about get there and change their mind and then trek for 8 weeks across the continent to conquer somewhere else. By the time they got to their real destination all their solders had deserted to the German generals.
Seems legit..

LinuxGam
27-11-2013, 22:25
Forgive me for being sceptical, but when I look at Availability it says 120 sec -does that mean the server will be ready for me to use within 2 minutes of ordering, or does 'sec' in french mean something totally different, like days?
French is an Italic language descended from the spoken Latin language of the Roman Empire; "sec" was first used by the Romans when they went to war traveling for hundreds of days by foot and their wife's would ask, "When will you be home", they replied "not more than 120 secs" to keep their wife calm.

So there you have it. The other issue is they would often go off to conquer one country, just about get there and change their mind and then trek for 8 weeks across the continent to conquer somewhere else. By the time they got to their real destination all their solders had deserted to the German generals.

dayvo
27-11-2013, 21:20
Forgive me for being sceptical, but when I look at Availability it says 120 sec -does that mean the server will be ready for me to use within 2 minutes of ordering, or does 'sec' in french mean something totally different, like days?

elcct
27-11-2013, 20:15
Why is OVH moving towards stupid amounts of RAM I need high CPU power not 128 GB RAM
Why stupid? There is never enough of RAM. Of course you are not buying server with 128 GB of RAM for a small company website, but for a large websites it always help to have more - for cache, database (no filesort) and you can always have a room to spin up VM to do some testing etc.

HostRange
27-11-2013, 19:58
Why is OVH moving towards stupid amounts of RAM I need high CPU power not 128 GB RAM

externo6
27-11-2013, 19:48
Wow, the setup fees cost more than the servers, even though they are a one off cost.

Vmlweb
27-11-2013, 19:44
Well maybe not. These are only three ranges. I think there are going to be more?
Isn't this what Oles talked about?
SYS, Host, Infra and Enterprise

HostRange
27-11-2013, 19:42
Well maybe not. These are only three ranges. I think there are going to be more?

Vmlweb
27-11-2013, 19:39
All our SSDs have gone!! (Apart from if you want to spend a huge amount on HGs)

HostRange
27-11-2013, 19:34
Wow. We can finally customize servers (without large setup)

Take a look at http://www.ovh.com/fr/serveurs_dedie...2014-HG-64.xml and http://www.ovh.com/fr/serveurs_dedie...014-BIG-HG.xml

HostRange
27-11-2013, 19:25
New ranges added http://www.ovh.com/fr/serveurs_dedies/

LawsHosting
27-11-2013, 19:16
Also noticed that .com redirects to co.uk lately - good old GeoIP checks.
Anyone know the reason behind this?

theatheist
27-11-2013, 19:08
As I guessed, installation fees are BACK across the board and they're nearly DOUBLE what they were last time!!!

crowarth
27-11-2013, 18:25
I think soyoudontstart.com would have been more appropriate, and its available!
register it through ovh as well for double win

TheGeekster
27-11-2013, 18:14
Quote Originally Posted by rickyday
I am holding "The Atheist" personally responsible if we don't see a new website and servers on sale by the end of today!!
+1,004,74.5 (Everyone waiting for a server)

NeddySeagoon
27-11-2013, 18:12
He didn't say which Wednesday

rickyday
27-11-2013, 15:56
I am holding "The Atheist" personally responsible if we don't see a new website and servers on sale by the end of today!!

dayvo
27-11-2013, 15:50
(No one else has said it yet, so I will...)

It is Wednesday Afternoon...!

~Trap
I think soyoudontstart.com would have been more appropriate, and its available!

Trapper
27-11-2013, 15:29
(No one else has said it yet, so I will...)

It is Wednesday Afternoon...!

~Trap

Maffew
27-11-2013, 14:51
Although I admit there was a reason for what they did, fair enough but the progressive release to certain countries? You serious? I mean if the staff want to read this and admit they made a mistake, feel free but it's odd business practice to exclude an entire country. I have wished to purchase a server for months, months and the wait just goes on, I was initially told September, October, November? Now tell me this; did you mean November 2014... because hell it feels like it.
The 'tokens' and 'reserved for UK customers'... do you realise what you're saying? There shouldn't be a token system, there shouldn't be an exclusivity and therefore if you let the whole customer base loose you're bound to make a better impression than excluding whole countries from services.
"Constantly hearing excuses usually around the translation issue - which is why the UK is always last.. On the plus side, today I learnt that the US must be mainly French speaking.."
Seems so, I can happily translate from French to English, I don't even speak Russian and yet a Russian Company told me what they wanted on each page and I wrote it in English? It's not difficult, it's actually quite saddening to hear excuses why the site was/is not open.

As usual, the website/control panel are being translated and terms and conditions are being validated by our lawyers. The delay between the FR and UK website launch is due to legal reason!
It takes a matter of days, if not hours to translate a page; in fact I translated a whole website from Russian to English in under a week, including their Terms of Service and although you may be correct, I'm doubtful (unless you can show me evidence) that it takes a matter of months for terms and conditions, website(s) to be translated especially that the US website is already in English unless you're referring to French Canadians?

externo6
27-11-2013, 12:32
This legal issue seems to be taking its time, Its been like a month since kimsufi was launched to france...
STILL Nothing for UK customers.

dayvo
27-11-2013, 08:57
Constantly hearing excuses usually around the translation issue - which is why the UK is always last.. On the plus side, today I learnt that the US must be mainly French speaking..

NeddySeagoon
26-11-2013, 23:30
Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory even.

Looking at the /fr/ page and some of the competition, the only differentiator is that OVH aren't selling any servers but the competition are.
I'm waiting to see the GBP pricing, since if I buy in Euros, I have an exchange rate cost too.
It looks that close now.

I will be getting a new server while I have time to install it over Christmas but it may not be an OVH server this time.

Tz-OVH
26-11-2013, 20:50
OVH yet again complicating things that simply DON'T need to be complex. You're diluting your service by making it so that a new customer will need to know 6 months of backstory to know what he can or cannot do...

Myatu
26-11-2013, 20:45
As usual, the website/control panel are being translated and terms and conditions are being validated by our lawyers. The delay between the FR and UK website launch is due to legal reason!

elcct
26-11-2013, 19:07
Hi,

I've already explained in my previous post that:

1- Some servers are already reserved for UK

2- Tokens will be provided to customers who already placed a manual order. You might think it's a "funny" idea and laugh about it but we want these customers to get their server first

3- As usual, the website/control panel are being translated and terms and conditions are being validated by our lawyers. The delay between the FR and UK website launch is due to legal reason!
That makes no sense. Why should we even know that some servers are reserved to UK or whatever?

Can't you just make one website like every other hosting company do?

OVH is heroically struggling against problems it creates

S0phie
26-11-2013, 18:04
Quote Originally Posted by TheGeekster
3, surely to some degree, they must be able to adapt it within a week? I know UK law is stupidly complex but meh, depending on how long it'll take it can seem like the lawyer firm your using is dragging their heels maybe? (Please don't take this as scripture, I'm not a lawyer)
I can guarantee you that the OVH team is doing its best to launch the UK website at the earliest!

Trapper
26-11-2013, 17:48
there are servers reserved for outside France aswell, for those customers who placed the manual order. So if they still require the server they requested, we'll be able to provide it first.
So I requested an mSP from OVH (twice actually)...

Will I be offered a token for a much more expensive OVH machine, or for a SYS-style mSP...?

Maybe they'll give me the 2014-SP64 for the same money as the mSP I ordered manually... (yeah dreamin' I know)

~Trap

TheGeekster
26-11-2013, 17:18
Hi,

2- Tokens will be provided to customers who already placed a manual order. You might think it's a "funny" idea and laugh about it but we want these customers to get their server first

3- As usual, the website/control panel are being translated and terms and conditions are being validated by our lawyers. The delay between the FR and UK website launch is due to legal reason!
I can understand reason 1, and thank you for considering the UK customers.
Reason 2, it does just seem like an odd thing to do. I mean it makes sense and is logical, just, realllyyyy does seem odd. Makes sense though.
Reason 3, surely to some degree, they must be able to adapt it within a week? I know UK law is stupidly complex but meh, depending on how long it'll take it can seem like the lawyer firm your using is dragging their heels maybe? (Please don't take this as scripture, I'm not a lawyer)

S0phie
26-11-2013, 17:12
But we've had to wait for France and the US to have first picks? Otherwise why wouldn't they be available all at the same time?
Hi,

dayvo
26-11-2013, 16:47
there are servers reserved for outside France aswell, for those customers who placed the manual order. So if they still require the server they requested, we'll be able to provide it first.
But we've had to wait for France and the US to have first picks? Otherwise why wouldn't they be available all at the same time?

marks
26-11-2013, 16:44
In France they will also require a token to order in the first bunch of servers released. This is only used to give priority to the customers who placed an order manually because they were in a hurry, that's all.

I too would like to know why FR and now US all seem to come before UK.. The message that comes across is we're not really that interested in our UK customers, you can have the leftovers.

HostRange
26-11-2013, 16:33
Are the French also using this token system?

dayvo
26-11-2013, 16:30

TheGeekster
26-11-2013, 16:20
Quote Originally Posted by Kode
So the new business model is modelled on the Deli counter at tesco? Good to know.
You my good sir, have made it to level 2 of the internet.

dayvo
26-11-2013, 16:13
Why UK customers need token? I am really tired of OVH discrimination...
I too would like to know why FR and now US all seem to come before UK.. The message that comes across is we're not really that interested in our UK customers, you can have the leftovers.

madtbh
26-11-2013, 14:48
I just want to know when Kimsufi will be back in stock. Been waiting for months now.

elcct
26-11-2013, 14:45
Why UK customers need token? I am really tired of OVH discrimination...

ctype_alnum
26-11-2013, 14:43
Quote Originally Posted by Kode
So the new business model is modelled on the Deli counter at tesco? Good to know.
lol

Kode
26-11-2013, 14:31

S0phie
26-11-2013, 14:13
As explained by Oles on twitter, ovh.com should be launched tomorrow.

ovh.co.uk will be launched a little bit later but don't worry we have already reserved some servers for UK customers. However you will need a token to be able to place an order at ovh.co.uk. Therefore, we will first contact all UK customers who placed a manual order for the last few weeks/months. These customers will be privileged and they will get a code to allow them to get an OVH server.

Trapper
26-11-2013, 03:01
Quote Originally Posted by jonlewi5
My bet is its french only....

Please suprise us Oles!!
+1.

LinuxGam
26-11-2013, 00:46
However the most important question is whether this just means the French are going to get their new sites/orders and us all left around waiting yet again or are we finally going to be able to get some progress at last?
At some point we all have to make choice that enough is enough or just carry on dealing with the waits and randoness. When OVH made awesome grounds into cheap hosting it was amazing, however, a couple of their competitors have now joined them and are doing it in a pro way. Sure they are not offering 3 servers, but as soon as I saw that I knew it was a loss leader.... you only have to look at any one of the costs in the chain, hardware, extra staff cost, eletcric/rent and it was clear it was to get customers, not to not make cash..

The problem is, if you then can't keep up and sell to the huge demand of customers, you then lose money on the deal and lose REAL customers in the process cos of delays and missed dates, the ones spending thousands on REAL servers that have had enough. on bull**** delays and indecision. It was a brave gamble, but like many I have seen in the last few months, it was one made in a split decision without any real thought and indirectly(maybe directly) has caused no servers being sold for a good while and also losing customers that would have spent cash on servers that have a profit margin on them..

jonlewi5
26-11-2013, 00:13
Was trawling through all the French on Oles twitter account and came across post that mentioned "Sold-out" which seemed worth a translation so after translating it came through as....

So can somebody from OVH please tell me why this bloody news wasn't/hasn't been emailed to all OVH customers or put in forums prior to this tweet and why is it a complete and utter ball ache trying to get just the littlest of information from this company?

However the most important question is whether this just means the French are going to get their new sites/orders and us all left around waiting yet again or are we finally going to be able to get some progress at last?
My bet is its french only....

Please suprise us Oles!!

theatheist
26-11-2013, 00:04
Was trawling through all the French on Oles twitter account and came across post that mentioned "Sold-out" which seemed worth a translation so after translating it came through as....

we go beyond "Sold – Out" Wednesday afternoon, with a new site and 3 new ranges of servers from 79.99e / month.

So can somebody from OVH please tell me why this bloody news wasn't/hasn't been emailed to all OVH customers or put in forums prior to this tweet and why is it a complete and utter ball ache trying to get just the littlest of information from this company?