OVH Community, your new community space.

goodbye ovh...

glidewave
12-12-2013, 07:25
Heh, they have clearly been at the vino again..... a hundred install on a server with monthly cost less than a hundred and a horrific website redo; it's like they are purposefully jerking people around..

Trapper
07-12-2013, 23:05
Quote Originally Posted by rickyday
...Perhaps my enthusiasm will return in the new year
Ricky, if your out of enthusiasm, then this entire forum is. I hope you get your mojo back, it's one of the few highlights here!

Quote Originally Posted by vm1990
...i just co located a bunch of old machines.... not as powerful but alot cheaper and more bandwidth....
vm, would you mind sharing where...?

~Trap

DigitalDaz
07-12-2013, 22:43
IMHO, OVH have completely lost the plot.

What they had before was cheap servers with next to zero support. Now they don't have the cheap servers and they want to put a high set up price on them too.

The stability has gone now too. We have seen the deals change and change quickly, we have seen that servers can go from having 32 IPs to only being allowed one. We can see that ticketed support has been taken away and now its down to forums. We are told to like it or lump it.

Now its not what has happened that is the kicker, its what COULD happen in the future. Having watched the shamble of the last few months its clear to me that for anything other than toys, ie Kimsufis to play with, the best thing, even if it means spending an extra few quid is to back off OVH for at least a year, maybe two and just watch.

Does anyone here really think these offers cut it? It seems not. Anyone here thinks these offers are here to stay? I don't, I think these are a worse mistake than the last mess. So its back to waiting and watching, maybe pick up a Kimsufi here and there to play with.

The Kimsufis now with just one IP address means the road to bigger OVH boxes has also been cut off. Many who may have tried something like ESXi on one and then moved onto a bigger OVH box no longer have that option.

Jasgriff
07-12-2013, 20:00
I think we all know what the KS deals will be because they are already on the French site. You have to be a student and you can only have 1 unit.

I really don't understand what OVH are doing to be honest. They have created lots of space and the aim it to have 1 million customers. Offering the cheap Kimi's etc was the right way to go providing they managed the stock correctly and didn't forward sell too many.

This new structure doesn't seem to have much chance of grown in my opinion? Some will argue that the deals are still good but are they world beating? Revolutionary? or to similar to others?

Either way what are they going to do with all of the spare space?

rickyday
07-12-2013, 17:12
Quote Originally Posted by Kode
The UK SYS site went up late yesterday afternoon, but the french one has been up for weeks with the offers and nothing has changed
Thanks for clearing that up, to be honest I have lost all interest in dedicated servers and OVH for the moment! Perhaps my enthusiasm will return in the new year

Kode
07-12-2013, 17:03
Opps meant Kimsufi and have to admit I hadn't checked the SYS English site for a while and it was coming soon when I last looked....Thanks for the headsup its gone live.

I really have been working and studying too hard lately.
The UK SYS site went up late yesterday afternoon, but the french one has been up for weeks with the offers and nothing has changed

rickyday
07-12-2013, 16:31
Quote Originally Posted by mike_
What do you mean? SYS has been out for weeks. There's only the game server left but I don't think it'll be much different. Maybe KS will surprise us?

Opps meant Kimsufi and have to admit I hadn't checked the SYS English site for a while and it was coming soon when I last looked....Thanks for the headsup its gone live.

I really have been working and studying too hard lately.

vm1990
07-12-2013, 16:23
at the new prices i just co located a bunch of old machines.... not as powerful but alot cheaper and more bandwidth.... OVH has gone down hill alot since these updates and the people in charge of marketing need to be shot. OVH started by offering cheap and affordable servers with ok support now they offer none of it and want to charge you extra... almost makes you wonder which *****s in charge of OVH these days...

shadow
07-12-2013, 13:46
Quote Originally Posted by LawsHosting
Which are the market here, you saw the influx of orders in August. People are cheap-skates, cheaper the better

If OVH take them away, they're going to struggle more than ever IMHO.
The reason OVH got to the size it was in the first place was because of its really cheap pricing, they have the kimsufi servers that were a gateway into OVH, and then if you needed more, you could get some for what I considered a fair price. I doubt whether OVH can survive on this new business model alone - maybe in a years time we'll see how they are doing, but they really don't deserve it tbth.

LawsHosting
07-12-2013, 12:53
Quote Originally Posted by macole111
OVH has made it clear that it doesn't want anyone to order KS servers...
Which are the market here, you saw the influx of orders in August. People are cheap-skates, cheaper the better

If OVH take them away, they're going to struggle more than ever IMHO.

macole111
07-12-2013, 12:24
OVH has made it clear that it doesn't want anyone to order KS servers...

-macole111

mike_
07-12-2013, 11:55
I guess we are all waiting to see what amazing things materialise from SYS.

I would like to think the reason behind delaying the release of the SYS range is OVH indeed realise this as well and are creating something special.
What do you mean? SYS has been out for weeks. There's only the game server left but I don't think it'll be much different. Maybe KS will surprise us?

macole111
07-12-2013, 11:22
Boxing day, some go to sales we install new servers!

-macole111

NeddySeagoon
07-12-2013, 11:10
rickyday,

I won't have the opportunity to install a new box until boxing day at the earliest, so I won't switch the lights out until then.
No, Gentoo Hardened is not that slow to install but I want to change my current setup to optimise the disk layout for KVMs.
I guess I can tar it all up, or split the raid1 to fix it but I'm not happy with my present bang/buck so I may as well start over.
I don't really trust OVH to make that worse again too. Its the trust that OVH have destroyed over the last year. The equipment that they provide seems good. I've not had any issues that were not finger trouble. Well, there was one but OVH told me it was a feature

rickyday
07-12-2013, 10:14
I guess we are all waiting to see what amazing things materialise from KS.

I think if OVH get that wrong, then ill ask Neddy to shut the door and turn the light off on the way out!

To think some people call me a pessimist! and aplogies for not editing previous post, hey I am lazy today it is the weekend and early(ish)

rickyday
07-12-2013, 10:10
Quote Originally Posted by NeddySeagoon
Errr ... No. You can damage your reputaton overnight. It can take many years to fix.
Deja Vu!

"It doesn't matter how big a company is, the issues Marks and spencer's had a few years ago prove that if you get it wrong, and majorly wrong it can take years and years to recover,"

NeddySeagoon
07-12-2013, 10:02

BUT ANYWAY THATS ALL BEHIND OVH NOW!! (I HOPE) ONWARDS AND UPWARDS
Errr ... No. You can damage your reputaton overnight. It can take many years to fix.

I see that OVH still have some changes to make yet. Watch this space.
As far as I can see, signing up with OVH still means arbitary worstening T's & C's, continually worstening valute for money and now they want more of your money up front.

For those of you with long memories, ask yourself "would you buy a used car from OVH".

Jasgriff
07-12-2013, 00:07
So what are you trying to say Ricky?

Ha

Criot
06-12-2013, 16:37
Quote Originally Posted by ShadowNet
Exactly,

If people are not going to purchase from OVH they will look else where for a better deal like many have done all ready!,
Think the only good thing is that we can still buy the popular mSP off the soyoustart website, but even that's looking slightly ridiculous because of the setup fee, but no where near as off putting as their new range.

rickyday
06-12-2013, 14:32
Quote Originally Posted by Trapper
While RickyDay, and some others will love OVH come-what-may,
~Trap
Believe me if I had issues with my servers and wasn't happy with them, I would certainly be voicing my opinions on these forums (as I have in the past a few years ago), just happens to be that they have been running great for the last 3/4months since I bought them.

One thing I do not like is the IP policy and the silly prices of RIPE blocks.

Apart from that though, I cant grumble, whenever I have rung support I have spoken to a polite person that has rectified any issues or answered any questions I had, and as I said the servers have been rock solid.

If it all went tits up though, believe me there is no customer loyalty anymore anywhere, I would go elsewhere without the blink of a eyelid

I can certainly understand why people have lost faith in OVH I really can, people that have invested years of their business and put all their eggs in the OVH basket must be feeling pretty upset, what with the changes, the communication issues, the no selling of servers etc etc.

I also understand how embarrassing this has been to some people that have recommended OVH to colleagues, managers friends and they have joined a few months ago only for this whole affair to happen.

To think I was speaking to IT Manager at work one day (he is in charge of 1000s of servers within the organisation), and he commented about bandwidth and where my servers were hosted and I sent him the link to the website for him to check OVH out, if he had ordered say 50/100 OVH servers, I would never had been able to look him in the eye again after recent events.

This is basically now OVHs chance to put that all behind them! I hope they get it right!

It doesn't matter how big a company is, the issues Marks and spencer's had a few years ago prove that if you get it wrong, and majorly wrong it can take years and years to recover, OVH cannot afford any more debacles like this.

But on the positive note, I look forward to the "OLD" OVH we know and love returning

I would also like to point out just because I am happy at OVH, I certainly understand and can relate to al lot of people that aren't, I certainly understand their pov and issues.

It really is quite an eye opener visiting these forums over the last 6months and looking at the "Fatties/Heavy Weights" posts and how their patience has evaporated with OVH and how they have moved some services away to other providers, which would have been unheard of say a year or two ago, everyone was relatively happy, quite depressing for me as a forum user, so must be heart breaking for the OVH UK Support team as they read these forums daily over the last few months.

BUT ANYWAY THATS ALL BEHIND OVH NOW!! (I HOPE) ONWARDS AND UPWARDS

guufi
06-12-2013, 14:09
and im not even talking about 64Gb servers, im talking about 32Gb ram, dont you see it??
I just think that they have now many clients and can now afford to raise prices, but doubled it was a stupid idea....

i hope the one who was responsible for the sales+supply_chain+deployment operations before the SOLD OUT - already fired...
the new one has shown his insanity...

OMG

p.s. guys to fix it you need sales+supply_chain+deployment to make work together, raising prices wont slowdown your sales, it will stop your sales,
for gods sаke !!!, Enterprise will go to Peer1, Rackspace, or at least to Amazon... you dont see your maket fools...

Kode
06-12-2013, 12:44
There is the Game section which hasn't been announced yet, which potentially could have bigger SSDs, but as I said (or at least implied) if the only ones available are the current SYS options (and therefore I have to stick to conventional HDDs) then I would likely move provider.

So fingers crossed the game section is released soon and has something decent in it.

In all honesty if there is something decent in the game section, and OVH relax their 2 server limit, and ovaton came out of beta, depending on price I'd be interested in one of those to replace the kimsufi (£17/mo) I have as well, a lot of ifs there though.

*edit* does anyone know if the SYS allows you to install the free version of plesk that OVH gave you on OVH servers but not kimsufi (£6/mo on kimi).

mike_
06-12-2013, 12:36
Quote Originally Posted by Kode
I need to order 2 servers in the next 10 days or so, if SYS somes out with a server that has a 240+ GB SSD, which isn't priced too high (less than £60, preferably closer to £50), then I would probably still buy.
I doubt these servers are going to change in the next 10 days.

Kode
06-12-2013, 12:26
I'm still on the bench with SYS.

I need to order 2 servers in the next 10 days or so, if SYS somes out with a server that has a 240+ GB SSD, which isn't priced too high (less than £60, preferably closer to £50), then I would probably still buy.

If not and I had to stick with conventional HDDs I'd probably move to the online.net DEDIBOX® LT as I could get 3 for the price I currently pay for 2 OVH servers and there are no setup fees.

Initially I was interested in Hetzner as they have 240GB SSDs in the price range, however then have no Anti-ddos (however tempermental it is at OVH it's still a good thing to have, online.net also have it) and crucially I read even mild DDoS against your server and it gets null routed, which is not acceptable for my needs.

Andy
06-12-2013, 12:11
I have to say I'm glad I moved away recently. Those new ranges are awful and way out of my budget. Sorry OVH but it's time to say goodbye on the dedicated server front.

Mark1978
06-12-2013, 10:24
Agreed the new ranges are awful. Massive step backwards. We waited three months for this?

ShadowNet
06-12-2013, 10:04
Quote Originally Posted by Criot
I am saying that the high setup fees will put people off purchasing...
Exactly,

If people are not going to purchase from OVH they will look else where for a better deal like many have done all ready!,

Criot
06-12-2013, 08:13
Quote Originally Posted by ShadowNet
No Its a Runaway From OVH... *SIGH*
I am saying that the high setup fees will put people off purchasing...

ShadowNet
06-12-2013, 06:54
Quote Originally Posted by Criot
but the high setup fee is definitely a turn away.
No Its a Runaway From OVH... *SIGH*

Phixion
06-12-2013, 03:40
The setup fees are stupidly high, anyone supporting them is supporting daylight robbery.

I wouldn't buy a new server with those setup fees.

Trapper
05-12-2013, 23:24
Quote Originally Posted by dan
Where do you get a server with 64gb ram and 300mbits/unmetered for 81,99?? only at ovh.
I like the new offers, they are nice.
They are "nice" for you, you have a great selection, of almost identical servers...

So I counter with:

Where do you get a server with 8GB Ram, and a minimal Xeon...

NOT OVH.

I had to look several times to see the difference between the 3 base models. All 84.99. As they are so similar, and the "Enterprise" version seems just to have the edge, will anyone ever buy one of the others?

Kinda sticking up for OVH - or at least explaining their thinking...

Many are complaining about the setup fees. While I cannot see why I would buy from OVH even without them, I do understand them

The setup fees are deliberately high, to ensure a slow take up of the servers, now they are available again. Oles said as much. They will be reviewed (down) once the first rush is over. OVH are using this as the single method of controlling the rush for sales.

While RickyDay, and some others will love OVH come-what-may, many will base judgement on what they see at the time they want to buy. Right now, what people are seeing is high prices and broken promises.

~Trap

elcct
05-12-2013, 21:25
Quote Originally Posted by dan
Where do you get a server with 64gb ram and 300mbits/unmetered for 81,99?? only at ovh.
Yes, but can you do anything useful with it?

If i want to start a small infrastructure:

1) 2x Front end servers
2) 1x Worker
3) 2x Database servers
4) 2x Backup servers

So we pick Infrastructure range.

1) These don't have to be beefy servers etc. so let's get first one in the range, but:

- you don't need 3TB of space, SATA HDD can be too slow, let's check options then...
- you don't need hard raid and 2x2TB and 2x300GB SSD look okay - but why pay for drives you will not use
Anyway, that will be £69.69 + £25.50 (and £84.99 setup) times 2

Not too bad, but it hurts to see E5 cpu being wasted with 32GB - they could give E3 and lower the price, also it is a waste of 2x2TB hdd

2) Worker will not need much space, but needs IOPS, so again SSD is a choice.

- there is no 120GB option, so it will be same config as 1) £69.69 + £25.50 (and £84.99 setup)

3) Databases will not need much space, but need IOPS, so again SSD...

- there is no 120GB option, so it will be same config as 1) £69.69 + £25.50 (and £84.99 setup)
- remaining 180GB will be wasted, as well as 2x2TB drives
- £69.69 + £25.50 (and £84.99 setup) times 2

4) For a backup, you don't need good server - Atom would do.

There is not much choice in Infrastructure range, so we have to go with EG-32 again

This time it will be a huge waste of CPU and Memory

£69.69 (and £84.99 setup) times 2

Ok let's sum it up:

£487.83 - servers
£127.50 - options

£594.94 - setup

First month: £1210.27 (£1452.32 with VAT)
Then: £615.33 (£738.40 with VAT)

Wasted 10 2TB drives, 7 E5 cpus (could be replaced with E3) - definitely 2 of them for backup servers

Now if I want to build Infrastructure with Online:

1) Front - 2x Server Dedibox LT15K 2013 (E3 1220, 2x450 15K SAS)

49.99 EUR + 20 EUR Business support + 1.99 EUR 1gbps VLAN times 2

2) Worker Server Dedibox PRO 2014 SSD (E3 1240v3, 2x120 GB SSD)

69.99 EUR (100mbit VLAN is included and that will be okay for a worker)

3) Database 2x Server Dedibox PRO 2014 SSD (E3 1240v3, 2x120 GB SSD)

69.99 EUR + 20 EUR Business support + 1.99 EUR 1gbps VLAN times 2

4) Backup 2x Server Dedibox LT 2014 (E3 1230v2, 2x1TB)

35.99 EUR + 20 EUR Business support + 1.99 EUR 1gbps VLAN times 2

We get fairly optimal resources.

Let's sum it up:

381.93 EUR - servers
131.94 EUR - options

Per month: 513.87 EUR (614.58 EUR with VAT and £518.34)

One year of running the project:

OVH: £9574.72
Online: £6220.00

So online would give you savings of £3354.72. in a year.

Criot
05-12-2013, 18:48
I think the worst part of the offers is the extremely high setup fee, sure some of the offers are alright (definitely not the hosting range due to their AMD processors) but the high setup fee is definitely a turn away.

I'm not quite sure why they're bothered about people changing over to their new range, when they can continue to sell their own ranges on places such as soyoustart and kimsufi to continue to make more money out of them. Personally, this whole setup fee hasn't been thought through properly, it should be AT LEAST half the price of what it is currently in my opinion.

dan
05-12-2013, 18:40
I like the new offers, they are nice.

but we survived.
OVH will survive, too.

guufi
05-12-2013, 18:05
ok, new website is online,
and new servers is on display.

http://www.ovh.ie/dedicated_servers/...14-HOST-32.xml
€81.99 /month

Hybrid SoftRAID
2 x 2 TB SATA3 6 Gbps +
2 x 300 GB SSD Intel S3500
SATA3 6 Gbps
+ €30.00 /month

i will be a complete idiоt if i will buy these....
what can i say, this is the dumbest changeover ive ever seen in hosting business....

so we started our business as many of you, but we were able to buy only 3 servers before the "SOLD OUT",
we have lost dozens of clients, honestly this was unexpected. but we survived.

i will not say any rude words about your current servers range, this is purely your "problem" and only your.
but i would say a many rude words for being kept in the dark and forced to wait for such ьullshiт that we see today ....

cheers. and goodbye.

p.s. www.soyoustart.com is a complete joke...