OVH Community, your new community space.

Host 32G order not delivered

csc2ya
15-12-2013, 19:54
Another update to this: I was considering cancelling my order and sticking with online.net before today, but I then had issues with configuring extra ip's. When I configured the ip settings manually, the server would have no remote desktop access on boot until I restarted the network adaptor.

On contacting their support, I was advised that setting the network settings to dhcp would fix this. After doing so, I then found that the failover ip's would not get assigned by dhcp. On referring back to their support team, I was told that they would need to be added manually. So having the option of either not being able to use my extra ip addresses, or having to restart the network adaptor after every reboot, I decided to continue to wait for the OVH box.

Around 2PM today, my phone vibrated. When I checked it, I had an e-mail from OVH letting me know that the server was ready.

I've checked it, and everything seems to work, and on installing windows, then looking into what hardware was used (out of interest mainly), they appear to be supermicro boards, so I doubt it'll be a very long time before my server has any issues. Just need to move everything over from my minisp now.

Apologies to OVH for moaning at them (despite me more or less calling them thieves, Neil was polite and caring with me throughout).

Thanks OVH and Neil

Neil
13-12-2013, 10:37
If you want a refund then please just send us an email with the order number.

RikT
13-12-2013, 10:32
Quote Originally Posted by csc2ya
Ended up ordering from online.net last night...went for the poweredge r410...one lower than the md 2013 as the 2013 was out of stock....was online in 5 minutes....then just over an hour to install windows...seems a very capable server...not done much with it yet....was playing around with the idrac mostly...lol...will likely start moving all my data over tonight....will just have to chalk the cost of the ovh box up to a bad idea as I doubt they'll give me a refund....apologies for the lack of spacing in this btw but I'm on my phone at work on a flaky Wi-Fi connection
Well they would have no choice but to refund you as they broke the terms under which you ordered by misleading you twice with deployment times the 1st was on site where it stated 3 days then again from staff on these forums telling you 7 days.

csc2ya
13-12-2013, 09:26
Ended up ordering from online.net last night...went for the poweredge r410...one lower than the md 2013 as the 2013 was out of stock....was online in 5 minutes....then just over an hour to install windows...seems a very capable server...not done much with it yet....was playing around with the idrac mostly...lol...will likely start moving all my data over tonight....will just have to chalk the cost of the ovh box up to a bad idea as I doubt they'll give me a refund....apologies for the lack of spacing in this btw but I'm on my phone at work on a flaky Wi-Fi connection

elcct
12-12-2013, 22:49
While it would be nice to have branded hardware (In the case of the MD2014), this is outweighed by having to request a KVM if I need it, then wait for it to be connected (from the looks of it, the ovh kvm's are permanently connected).
I am not sure if you checked the specs, but there is KVM and you don't have to wait. (i got credentials to mine after about a minute)

ctype_alnum
12-12-2013, 22:47
I guess you didn't read through the forums its riddled with people complaining about delays etc.

serverbros
12-12-2013, 22:41
Erm.....Online.net come with the ILO or DRAC as far as I'm aware.....ours does anyway

Plus from the server page (configuration tab) under the MD2014 :

We offer several high-end HP® features with this configuration: a hardware KVM over IP access, access to HP Integrated Lights-Out (iLO) 4 Advanced, an HP® P410 RAID hardware controller with a cache and a battery, as well as server range hard disks offering a very long lifetime.

csc2ya
12-12-2013, 22:29
For obvious reasons, i'm not keen on spending even more money (the money I paid for the 32G is sitting in OVH's account no doubt earning them a fair bit of interest whilst they delay delivering what I paid for).

While it would be nice to have branded hardware (In the case of the MD2014), this is outweighed by having to request a KVM if I need it, then wait for it to be connected (from the looks of it, the ovh kvm's are permanently connected).

I would also have to request a KVM to install windows (I have my own licence), and my upload speed is rubbish with limited bandwidth.

While I'm rapidly losing the love I once had for OVH, I think i'll just have to continue to wait. I'm waiting for an update to the ticket I replied to asking what is going on.

elcct
12-12-2013, 21:53
And this just proves that I was right. Well done OVH....fantastic job...not.
You could try online.net. I have ordered two servers with them so far and maximum i had to wait was 10 minutes.

csc2ya
12-12-2013, 20:43
And this just proves that I was right. Well done OVH....fantastic job...not.

csc2ya
12-12-2013, 19:57
Half an hour til the 7 days is up. Starting to doubt it will be delivered at all.

Meanwhile, OVH still have my money sitting there earning them interest.

Not happy.

csc2ya
12-12-2013, 00:26
Progress update. Now the 7th day, so if I was given correct information, OVH have until around half past 8 tonight to get my server deployed.

Part of me wonders whether i'll be told at 20 past 8 'sorry, it's actually 10 days to deploy it' (The site does now state 10 days for this server model).

Trapper
10-12-2013, 00:07
Quote Originally Posted by LinuxGam
Here's a bit of help for the website designers:

int timeDelay;
if (serverInStock && IsRacked)
{
timeDelay =TIMETOAUTODEPLOYSERVER;
}
else if(serverInStock && !IsRacked)
{
timeDelay = TIMETORACKSERVER + TIMETOAUTODEPLOYSERVER;
}
elseif(!severInStock && orderDeliveryDateIsKnown)
{
timeDelay = (orderDeliveryDate - DateTime.Now) + TIMETORACKSERVER + TIMETOAUTODEPLOYSERVER;
}
else
{
ThowException("Time Unknown");
}
return timeDelay;
Before return timeDelay, you should add:

if (timeDelay > daysShownOnSite)
{
echo 'shoot the guy who does the ordering'
call updateWebsiteDateShown
}

LinuxGam
09-12-2013, 21:19
Quote Originally Posted by elcct
why if you can do timeDelay = rand()
That would be too soon :-) I think if its random it's more like this rand() + ADVERTDAYS + (3 * DAYS * rand())

elcct
09-12-2013, 21:07
Quote Originally Posted by LinuxGam

int timeDelay;
{
}
{
}
{
timeDelay = (orderDeliveryDate - DateTime.Now) + TIMETORACKSERVER + TIMETOAUTODEPLOYSERVER;
}
else
{
}
return timeDelay;
why if you can do timeDelay = rand()

LinuxGam
09-12-2013, 20:22

int timeDelay;
{
}
{
}
{
}
else
{
}
return timeDelay;

Jasgriff
09-12-2013, 20:09
To already be behind on these brand new servers is disgusting to be honest.

We are told that there would be limits in place to ensure that they could deliver servers without unplanned delays.

Already missing the ETA's is really a poor show. Take them off sale or adjust the site OVH before you really do any more damage to your reputation.

I hope you get your server and I really cannot believe OVH have let you down even with a new more expensive business model.

csc2ya
09-12-2013, 17:59
Have now had a response via e-mail from Neil stating that the delivery time is actually 7 days rather than the 3 days stated on the site (OVH should change it on the site really).

They also do not currently preinstall an operating system to 'speed up the delivery' apparantly. I'm assuming they will test the hardware still either by booting from a linux livecd, or installing an os to test with, then wiping the drive again.

As long as I actually have the server before the 8th of january when my MiniSP expires, i'll be happy.

elcct
09-12-2013, 11:46
So that's the new better support... lol

theatheist
09-12-2013, 11:43
Thankyou Neil.

It's not so much the fact the server hasn't been delivered yet...I am aware that the delivery times are an estimate. It's more to do with the lack of communication regarding it.
Welcome to OVH.

csc2ya
09-12-2013, 11:10
Thankyou Neil.

It's not so much the fact the server hasn't been delivered yet...I am aware that the delivery times are an estimate. It's more to do with the lack of communication regarding it.

Neil
09-12-2013, 10:54
Hi

I am looking into this order right now and will give you an update when I have any information.

csc2ya
09-12-2013, 09:23
Can someone from ovh let me know what is going on with my order please: 24294641

At the moment, it looks like nothing is happening. The order says it is still in progress, but nothing has changed on there after 4 days. I've sent an e-mail to commercial regarding it which has been ignored so far, and I have also tweeted the uk twitter account, which has also so far been ignored.

I hate to jump to accusations, but at the moment, this is looking like theft to me, as the money has been taken from my bank account, yet I do not have the server I ordered to show for it.

I did notice that I wasn't asked to choose an operating system when I ordered it, and wonder whether I should have been, although I still don't feel that is any excuse for ovh to have not at least told me what is going on.