We are in the process of migrating this forum. A new space will be available soon. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Setup fees/Upfront payments

Criot
31-01-2014, 19:55
Looks like this has finally been rolled out on all of their servers on all ranges now.

makno
08-01-2014, 19:22
guys it happened before, no setup fees attracted a lot of costumers so OVH introduced setup fees (50 per server iirc) just to drop them again a few months later when sales dropped again. Now we saw sales skyrocketing thanks to the 3 servers and so OVH is adding setup fees again to milk the cow.

Give it some time and they'll drop them again as sales will fall. Besides OVH is no longer competitive and with the sudden changes of mind from Oles a lot of the loyal clients have moved elsewhere.

Trapper
08-01-2014, 17:25
Quote Originally Posted by Phixion
From my point of view, setup fees are there to make money off customers.

I do not buy the idea that setup fees will stop people dropping old servers to pickup new (usually cheaper) servers.

Also, why do setup fees exist for people paying 12 months upfront? It makes no sense...
The setup fees are there to make money. OVH is a business, making money is the aim.

These fees will not stop people turning-over servers completely. But the setup fee is very well aimed, as it costs those who turnover most regularly the most.

The effect of this is that OVH can charge less per month on servers. As someone who keeps servers for a long period, I am glad they are there. It means my monthly fees are not inflated by cost incurred by people turning-over servers on a monthly basis.

As for setup fees on servers ordered & paid for a whole year in advance, this is a different matter. If you are going to pay that, even I think the setup fees should be dropped.

@village_i_diot:
As for people still buying servers with a setup fee, I am sure they are. OVH's plan will be to lower the fees when, and only when, they need more business. While they still are struggling to keep up with the pace of new servers, the fees will not change.

~Trap

village_i_diot
08-01-2014, 13:58
Surely at the end of the day, if no one orders a server with the setup fee then OVH would need to drop the set up fee's but as long as people are ordering and paying the set up fee in large enough quantities they will stay.

I wonder how many people who think the set up fee is wrong or too high have still gone ahead and still ordered a server and paid the set up fee?

Phixion
08-01-2014, 02:10
From my point of view, setup fees are there to make money off customers.

I do not buy the idea that setup fees will stop people dropping old servers to pickup new (usually cheaper) servers.

Also, why do setup fees exist for people paying 12 months upfront? It makes no sense...

Kode
06-01-2014, 13:55
Quote Originally Posted by misteranonimous

I intend to cancel that server and return to OVH the moment you stop charging set up fees, because I do prefer all my servers in one place.
Except that SYS is in effect a competitor to OVH, different manager, failover ips aren't transferable between OVH and SYS, so while your servers would be all in one place from OVHs point of view, they wouldn't be from yours, not sure theres much reason to move the server back once you have gone to a competitor.

wii89
06-01-2014, 13:01
why are there setup fees even if you want to pay for a year upfront! its just madness!

misteranonimous
06-01-2014, 12:57
I've been a loyal customer of OVH for many years, and currently have many servers (both KS and OVH) with you.

I've had a 52.80 OVH server for over a year, and have been meaning to cancel it and replace it with a mSP (cheaper price, higher specs). But then of course, everything was "sold out". In hindsight, I should have cancelled the server back then. But I did not, hoping that the mSP would be available to order. Then you rolled out the SYS plans, which are all great, but with one major issue, setup fees.

While I understand the reasons for reintroducing these fees, they are simply not acceptable in this day and age. Therefore, I've cancelled the 52.80 server and got another with similar specs with a competitor, which does not charge a set up fee.

I intend to cancel that server and return to OVH the moment you stop charging set up fees, because I do prefer all my servers in one place.

Moral of the story, as long as you charge setup fees, you force existing customers to look elsewhere, and probably keep new customers at bay.

theatheist
05-01-2014, 13:55
BUMP!

So when is this going to be rolled our for SYS and OVH
(Yes I know is on the MG servers already)

Its been nearly a month now, This is getting really boring.

theatheist
02-01-2014, 21:07
So is there any update on splitting these fees on the other lines like SYS??????

I'm needing to order some servers but I want to use the split option.

RikT
02-01-2014, 20:58
Quote Originally Posted by ostree
1)Why i post here - my right to free speech? You should know about it cause you exercise yours. As a customer just share my opinion - do you have a problem with that? Do you work for OVH or just trolling?
I dont work for OVH neither am i trolling, however you stated that you colo so therefore are not an ovh customer as ovh uk do not offer colocation services so may I ask who is really the troll?

ostree
02-01-2014, 17:29
Quote Originally Posted by Kode
So basically you're just posting here to ***** about GCHQs involvement with the NSA scandal?

Like france is any better? There's a difference between not doing something and not being caught doing something / have someone whistleblow on the activities and I have no doubt france is just as bad, you only have to look at HADOPI to see how much france cares about its citizens privacy.

*edit* that's not to say I agree with the UKs involvement in any of it, just that a french citizen "not wanting to support our economy" is going to affect the government to the tune of fsck all
Did you read thread from the beginning? I do not think so.
I believe, it was a bad idea to create a system in such a form as it is now. I do not like idea of separate web sites for different countries. I believe that this adds to the cost, which customers must held liable. I do not like the idea of installation charges in the case of used equipment. I do not like misleading due to the lack of communication between regional divisions.

About GCHQs involvement with the NSA scandal? Not involvement but cooperation - this is one and two: Not scandal but crime. If someone wants to talk only on this topic, let's open a new thread. But in the meantime, please familiarize yourself with the facts and official opinions of the American court and the European Parliament in this case .

*edit* 1)Your assumptions are wrong assuming 'french citizen' 2)You know how many English families emigrated in recent years? 3)It sounded like racism - England is supposedly multicultural country? 4) Whistleblower? No, a true patriot and a man seeing crimes and abuses behind the back of the public 5)Jacob Applebaum: To Protect And Infect, Part 2 [30c3] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vILAlhwUgIU

Kode
02-01-2014, 16:55
So basically you're just posting here to ***** about GCHQs involvement with the NSA scandal?

Like france is any better? There's a difference between not doing something and not being caught doing something / have someone whistleblow on the activities and I have no doubt france is just as bad, you only have to look at HADOPI to see how much france cares about its citizens privacy.

*edit* that's not to say I agree with the UKs involvement in any of it, just that a french citizen "not wanting to support our economy" is going to affect the government to the tune of fsck all

ostree
02-01-2014, 16:05
1)Why i post here - my right to free speech? You should know about it cause you exercise yours. As a customer just share my opinion - do you have a problem with that? Do you work for OVH or just trolling?
2)Government bears the consequences for their actions. Action taken by the English government stand in contradiction to the interests of residents and violate basic principles of the society - it does not matter to you - ok. Business is business - do not mix it with feelings.
3)Lack of a https protocol is the distinct sign of lack of professionalism - like your comment in this point. Concern for the safety of personal data for me is an expression of respect and professionalism. It is also an IT industrial standard.

RikT
02-01-2014, 12:40
yes, i know and this is why i went colo
Then Why are you bothering to post here and aggravate people

i do what i think is right, my money and choice (customer rights)
you seem to have a ****ty view on what is right i.e spouting crap on an english forum how you dont want to support our economy. ( my right to free speech)

this just shows how they treat you here with 'respect'
Unlike yourself

please elaborate a bit more on this
read above

Kode
02-01-2014, 09:15
if you want to be billed in France, order from ovh.com?

ostree
02-01-2014, 03:42
1. Sorry but if you buy from ovh.co.uk then you are buying from OVH Ltd, a UK company hence UK tax, employees etc etc
yes, i know and this is why i went colo

2. Why does it even matter about supporting the UK economy? There are much worse places that here and the UK aren't the only ones
involved I am willing to bet. This whole Snowdon thing surprises me greatly as I thought everybody knew all this anyway.
i do what i think is right, my money and choice (customer rights)

3. HTTPS has been talked about on here before but nothing yet, this is OVH so don't hold your breath.
this just shows how they treat you here with 'respect'

another example of ignorant forum users.
please elaborate a bit more on this

ctype_alnum
01-01-2014, 12:41
another example of ignorant forum users.

macole111
01-01-2014, 12:36
French company, not English or American - I want to be billed in France rather than in England. I have no intention to support the British economy after the GCHQ (in partnership with NSA) violated our rights to privacy(...)

ps even forum run over http not https - so lame, no comments
1. Sorry but if you buy from ovh.co.uk then you are buying from OVH Ltd, a UK company hence UK tax, employees etc etc
2. Why does it even matter about supporting the UK economy? There are much worse places that here and the UK aren't the only ones involved I am willing to bet. This whole Snowdon thing surprises me greatly as I thought everybody knew all this anyway.
3. HTTPS has been talked about on here before but nothing yet, this is OVH so don't hold your breath.

-macole111

ostree
01-01-2014, 10:12
Hi,
just one thing regarding setup fees:
I have no idea what kind of world you live in people but for me there is only one circumstance when the installation fee is justified. Only in the case of completely new equipment. So far, my transfer to OVH has resulted in failure, then ridicule, then more failure; I only lost valuable time for this childishness.
Somehow I can not resist the opinion, that these additional charges appeared to cover the costs of bureaucracy and thoughtlessness. Why linode.com and hetzner.de can arrange a consistent portal and customer support without creating a costly and unnecessary projects? Who needs separate pages located in different countries? One page in French, German and English language - who need more? Now it's one big mess, several support groups without proper communication. And at the end of one fact - I turned to the OVH because it is a French company, not English or American - I want to be billed in France rather than in England. I have no intention to support the British economy after the GCHQ (in partnership with NSA) violated our rights to privacy(...)

ps even forum run over http not https - so lame, no comments

Criot
31-12-2013, 19:15
Quote Originally Posted by LawsHosting
Or go elsewhere, like I'll be doing when needing more servers.....

I can see 2014 being a downer for OVH... Multiple members areas, websites, forums, blah blah... It's ludicrous.
Exactly, setup fees mainly turn people away, especially when they're as high as they are currently, in most cases the setup fees cost more than the server itself. Maybe when we have the ability to spread the setup fee out over a few months more people will purchase.

What I don't quite understand is why SYS and Kimsufi servers have setup fees too, SYS servers are the old ranges, so why would you want setup fees on them if you're trying to prevent turnover?

LawsHosting
31-12-2013, 15:21
Quote Originally Posted by Criot
at the end of the day, if someone wants a new server, they'll buy it, setup fees or not.
Or go elsewhere, like I'll be doing when needing more servers.....

I can see 2014 being a downer for OVH... Multiple members areas, websites, forums, blah blah... It's ludicrous.

Criot
31-12-2013, 15:06
Quote Originally Posted by Phixion
Isn't this the reason the setup fee was introduced in the first place?
I believe they were setup to stop people from dropping their old servers and replacing them with new ones, probably won't work out as well as they think though, at the end of the day, if someone wants a new server, they'll buy it, setup fees or not.

Phixion
30-12-2013, 19:05
Quote Originally Posted by marks
If we can, we'll do things to compensate certain situations where the setup fees are problematic (like customers that get servers for short periods of times).
Isn't this the reason the setup fee was introduced in the first place?

avizeke
26-12-2013, 19:44
this has become a reversed business solution rather than a forward business solution, telling us your vision for the new servers, very little has changed, longer times for servers in some cases and the MSP equivilant server are at the same prices but now with a setup fee. not everyone is going to agree with whats happening, or what happens, but when the majority states the same thing. its where the company looses less value with the core ovh lovers.

marks
25-12-2013, 12:31
Quote Originally Posted by avizeke
how this is good when 6 months ago there was no setup fee. hetzner is just looking more lucrative by the day. online.net and oneprovider offer french servers just as cheap with better performance.
the conditions of the news servers, including the setup fee, are those we've got to apply to be able to carry on growing in number of servers and carry on offering the latest hardware, with updates every year (normally we try 2 hardware updates every year).

If we can, we'll do things to compensate certain situations where the setup fees are problematic (like customers that get servers for short periods of times).

avizeke
25-12-2013, 06:47
how this is good when 6 months ago there was no setup fee. hetzner is just looking more lucrative by the day. online.net and oneprovider offer french servers just as cheap with better performance.

and a 6000 server increase from 150,000 is nothing given the fact that no one has ordered for 2 months and 3 weeks due to you guys not allowing anyone to buy.

look at some proper statistics, if you had of re opened with no set up fee. you would have gotten more, if you hadnt of confused us all along there way, there would have been more. to be honest a company as big as ovh 6000 increase in servers is not alot given that you stopped orders for 11 weeks. and confused us along the way, you cant honestly look at the 6000 as a statistical consistent growthpattern the company because its a fake figure, its not consistent. there hasnt been consistency with ovh for at least 6 months now.

whens the gaming range coming for sys ? i run a game server provider so i will be looking to evaluate these, and if its the ones that are already there then i am disappointed. No hard RAID with 48 gig of ram.

when s the auction system coming in place for ovh also on selected servers ?

clustering ovh into segmented sister businesses to evalute growth separately in each area. If this was said in the beginning people would be more understanding.

elcct
20-12-2013, 18:44
Quote Originally Posted by Neil
HGs have the highest setup fee, this is the reason it has been rolled out to these servers first.
Not sure how you calculated this, but the highest setup fee is for SYS servers (almost 150% of the price of the server)

Neil
20-12-2013, 18:13
Quote Originally Posted by theatheist
What a kick in the nuts. I would have thought it would be the SYS first considering that is the first that is mentioned in this announcement.

Me thinks this was simply a quick PR announcement because of all the backlash of setup fees.
HGs have the highest setup fee, this is the reason it has been rolled out to these servers first.

theatheist
20-12-2013, 18:03
Quote Originally Posted by Neil
Currently only available with HG Servers in France, we will announce once it is available for more servers.

What a kick in the nuts. I would have thought it would be the SYS first considering that is the first that is mentioned in this announcement.

Me thinks this was simply a quick PR announcement because of all the backlash of setup fees.

Neil
19-12-2013, 10:43
Currently only available with HG Servers in France, we will announce once it is available for more servers.

theatheist
19-12-2013, 01:35
So, any news on when/if this will actually happen??

theatheist
16-12-2013, 12:32
Quote Originally Posted by Criot
When's this happening?

Never.

Criot
15-12-2013, 22:58
When's this happening?

w33brad
13-12-2013, 01:39
I've not read any of the other posts on here because I've not really been keeping up with OVH as of late (lost interest in you guys due to the complete shambles that you are). But just briefly looking at this, I'm thinking, uhhh joke.

Your prices are now on par with Hetzner. And I'm sorry, but this company is far superior and far far more reliable than you will ever be. I was still contemplating whether or not to order from you guys, but that right there has sealed it.

theatheist
12-12-2013, 16:29
Still no update on this?

theatheist
11-12-2013, 10:54
Quote Originally Posted by Tz-OVH
I think its not yet live.
Ah, thnx, didnt notice that bit.

Tz-OVH
11-12-2013, 10:29
This will be applied shortly.
I think its not yet live.

theatheist
11-12-2013, 10:26
But I dont see any options to change setup during order, Still gives a flat setup fee for me, no way to change to spread over months?

Shimon
11-12-2013, 02:04
'cause RAM is dirt cheap and every motherboard today supports at least 32GB.

Trapper
11-12-2013, 00:59
Quote Originally Posted by NatdaS

For servers over 12 months old:
- for a 6 month renewal, you will only be charged for 5 months, which equates to 15% discount
- for a 12 month renewal, you will only be charged for 9 months, equating to 30% discount
Hope this gets applied to my KS2G's, I'd happily pay 9 months and get 12

On a more serious note, I think we always knew the setup fees would be "rationalised" once the initial rush was over.

I would not be surprised to see them change again, when OVH need more customers.

On the 12 month - this is exactly what people have been asking for; and it does seem exactly right.

The "spread-the-cost" options look quite good too, but these still seem a little odd, as a 1 month contract only incurs a 10 setup fee, whereas taking the server for longer means a higher setup fee...?

There are still those I am sure who will moan that there is a setup fee at all, but if this fixes the previous problems I am happy.

Now all we need to fix is the utterly ridiculous memory options (let's have some servers with 4, 8 or 16GB RAM) and we will be laughing...

(I still have not worked-out why there are a heap of options with 32 or 64 GB RAM, but almost nothing less...)

Servers @ 32GB:
SYS Avoton
SYS XEON
SYS GAME (probably)
OVH HOST 32
OVH INFRA EG32

Servers @ 64GB:
OVH ENT SP-64
OVH HOST 64
OVH INFRA EG64
OVH INFRA HG

Can't wait for the brokers site to bring us a load more...

~Trap

Phixion
10-12-2013, 21:13
I see why you are using Setup Fee's but I strongly disagree with the price.

As someone else mentioned on these forums, 25 would be incentive enough for those that drop servers after 1 month. You don't need to rape people's bank accounts to get that affect.

Tz-OVH
10-12-2013, 20:05
This is some good news...I renewed my KS-2G for a year, so I avoided paying the hiked price due to VAC. But my 16G is up for renewal soon...

TheBritoid
10-12-2013, 17:02
That makes sense I guess.

Kode
10-12-2013, 16:53
So it's still cheaper to get a SYS server than it is to renew?

My SP32 costs 73/month and has exactly the same specs as the XEON-1 which costs 41.99/month + 42.99 setup fee.

Therefore 73*9 = 657 vs 41.99*12+42.99 = 546.87

NatdaS
10-12-2013, 16:45
Hello,

The setup fees are 49 on the SYS servers and 99, 199 or 299 on the OVH servers. These are one-off fees.
For those of you that only need your server for 2-3 months, this is not a good solution.
So we will spread these setup fees over 6 months, with no tie-ins.

- SYS: 49 set up fee or +10/month for 6 months
- OVH: 99 set up fee or +20/month for 6 months
- OVH: 199 set up fee or +40/month for 6 months
- OVH: 299 set up fee or +60/month for 6 months

No tie-ins? Yes, that's right.
So for example, if you only want a SYS server for 3 months, then don't pay the setup fee. Just take your SYS server and pay 10/month for these 3 months. If on the other hand, you want the server for 1-2 years, you have the choice of either paying 10/month for 6 months, followed by the standard price, or you can simply pay 49 in one go, and then the standard price. Basically, it's up to you. On our side, this does mean that we have some turnover to deal with, but with the monthly server price at 10 more, it's not a problem.

We have also been asked about discounts for 6 months and 12 months paid up front, so here is what we have decided.
For new servers:
- An upfront payment of 12 months cancels out the setup fees, which equates to approximately 10% discount.

For servers over 12 months old:
- for a 6 month renewal, you will only be charged for 5 months, which equates to 15% discount
- for a 12 month renewal, you will only be charged for 9 months, equating to 30% discount

This will be applied shortly.

Regards,

Octave