OVH Community, your new community space.

I fear I messed up

LinuxGam
12-12-2013, 11:19
Quote Originally Posted by Andy
If you still have the tar file, why not untar those files you need again? OVH don't backup dedicated servers, that's your responsibility.
I think the tar was an old copy and overwrote the most recent files. So he now has a website with a black background, flashing yellow marques and the "under construction" road signs :-)

LinuxGam
12-12-2013, 11:00
If it is on an SSD then by the very nature of them I believe they will write to different blocks and therefore you may be able to follow an un-delete tutorial. On a plus note, it's normally incidents like this that make people aware they should always have backups of anything they can't risk losing. Normally you learn this the "easy" way on your own files (as you did) and not someone elses or 1 years worth work gone!

Andy
11-12-2013, 22:29
If you still have the tar file, why not untar those files you need again? OVH don't backup dedicated servers, that's your responsibility.

Myatu
11-12-2013, 21:48
OVH wouldn't keep backups of your server (perhaps only for their shared hosting services). What type of files did you overwrite? System files?

Amico500
11-12-2013, 21:39
Hi,

So yesterday I transferred some files from an old UK server which I was going to cancel onto my OVH server in the form of a Tar archive. In order to regain access to some files, I untarred it, and well I accidentally overwrote some important files which I would need back. If you are aware of any way of recovering files or if OVH keeps backups(unlikely), then it would be most appreciated

Note: Was not customer files, my own files

- Paul