OVH Community, your new community space.

presales comments on your new range

NeddySeagoon
18-12-2013, 19:28
macole111,

I tried to think of a good thing to say about OVH Gentoo (there is no such thing as stock Gentoo).
The best I could come up with, some readers would find offensive, so I will refrain from posting it.
OVH should not provide Gentoo - just deliver the system booted in rescue mode.

marks
18-12-2013, 16:42
Quote Originally Posted by rikkan
Thank you both for your replies, a few follow-up questions:
re pro support

seriously? if your selling managed servers for unmanaged money then that's pretty impressive, Although that does then further raise the question of what "Scalable support" support will be when it's announced in the future. I guess from my point of view ze-germans are very firm that they are hardware faults only, and i am quite confident about maintaining the server myself so anything extra is a bonus, but it's still nice to know what you're getting. Mark1978, perhaps you would be kind enough to give your opinion on what their support is like
just to clarify: all the servers are unmanaged.

re 3tb hard drive

That's what i meant, it'd be nice if 3tb was an option along with sas and ssd's for host and enterprise but .... oh well

re upgrades

What i really meant here was turnover vs keeping the server rather than upgrades, which was mentioned here http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.ph...-the-OVH-range specifically

I'm assuming that would literally just be a case of canceling my current server and taking out a new one once it's launched? or will there be some kind of deal on the setup fee's to keep it as the "same" server effectively just upgrading to the current level of performance for the price point (i.e can i pay you a fixed x per month forever and choose to periodically receive hardware upgrades instead of a discount)
yes, several options were taken into account to reduce turnover. At the end, at least as per today, we've only put in place the setup fee, which acts as a deterrant for turnover. Maybe in the future there will be other measures, but nothing in the pipeland right now that we're aware of (apart from the reduce of setup fees for longer upfront renewals).

One final question: are your linux install images (specifically centos) completely stock, or have you modified them? (i'm assuming if they aren't i'd be able to just load up an iso through kvm,)
CentOS 6.5 has to possibility to have the native kernel without no modifications

JakeMS
18-12-2013, 15:36
Quote Originally Posted by macole111
OVH have custom kernels, otherwise I think they are fairly stock (Linux bods on here my be able to elaborate), but you can install your own kernel onto them if you like. There are guides on here somewhere.

-macole111
By default they come with a network booting custom kernel (Unless you install RHEL, it boots the default kernel).

Additional modifications which I noticed are:
- /etc/motd is modified to include hostname/ip details etc.
- ssh configuration is modified to include the OVH key (or it used to be)
- ssh configuration may be premodified with your own SSH Keys if you have set them in OVH Control panel
- networking configuration is preconfigured (Expected really)
- a server monitoring script is installed which sends server usage and status to the OVH control panel (Which you can view)
- a cronjob is added to run said script once per minute.
- roots password may be preset to a random password during install if no SSH Keys are set in OVH control panel.
- grub configuration is not stock and has been altered but functions normally. (On RHEL anyway)

There may be additional modifications, but that's all I've noticed so far with a RHEL install and the rest seems stock.

It should be quite easy to take it back to stock without reinstalling with a custom image.

macole111
18-12-2013, 14:10
Support isn't OVH's strong point, I don't trust these new 'prority support' options as OVH haven't proved themselves in the past with support. If OVH want me to pay more they have to demonstrate good support for even Kimsufis.

One final question: are your linux install images (specifically centos) completely stock, or have you modified them? (i'm assuming if they aren't i'd be able to just load up an iso through kvm,)
OVH have custom kernels, otherwise I think they are fairly stock (Linux bods on here my be able to elaborate), but you can install your own kernel onto them if you like. There are guides on here somewhere.

-macole111

rikkan
18-12-2013, 12:55
Thank you both for your replies, a few follow-up questions:
re pro support
that's all the support we can give, opposed to our other brands like SoYouStart and Kimsufi, which get limited support.
All the servers are managed.
seriously? if your selling managed servers for unmanaged money then that's pretty impressive, Although that does then further raise the question of what "Scalable support" support will be when it's announced in the future. I guess from my point of view ze-germans are very firm that they are hardware faults only, and i am quite confident about maintaining the server myself so anything extra is a bonus, but it's still nice to know what you're getting. Mark1978, perhaps you would be kind enough to give your opinion on what their support is like

re 3tb hard drive
You can choose the hdd setup at the beginning, and that's all
That's what i meant, it'd be nice if 3tb was an option along with sas and ssd's for host and enterprise but .... oh well

re upgrades
Hardware upgrade is only available for the HG models under Infrastructure. For discounts, at the moment we're only considering discounts on getting servers for longer periods upfront. More information here:
http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.ph...ll=1#post58534
What i really meant here was turnover vs keeping the server rather than upgrades, which was mentioned here http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.ph...-the-OVH-range specifically

Example:
The "Hosting" server at €79.99 will be soon available on the OVH website
If you order it, you will pay €79.99/month until March 1st. On March 1st, you will be able to "turn over" your server and take a new one from the "Hosting" range at €79.99/month, or you can keep your server and lease it out at €71.99/month. If you turn over your server, OVH will put your old one up on the site at €71.99/month and the customer that orders it will pay €71.99/month, then €63.99/month from September 1st.
I'm assuming that would literally just be a case of canceling my current server and taking out a new one once it's launched? or will there be some kind of deal on the setup fee's to keep it as the "same" server effectively just upgrading to the current level of performance for the price point (i.e can i pay you a fixed x per month forever and choose to periodically receive hardware upgrades instead of a discount)

marks
18-12-2013, 11:50
Hello
I currently have a dedicated server with your German rivals, but was considering moving to ovh. Unfortunately I decided to take the plunge about a week after you went “sold out”. While I was happy with and understood the old range, I do have some queries about your new one.
Great, thanks for giving it a go.

Hosting

* Why does this use amd cpu's when the other two ranges use intel, it looks like the hosting range is being short-changed
Our virtualisation platform mainly runs on AMD-based hosts aswell. We found that for this application (virtualisation, web hosting reselling,... where the server is divided in pieces and sold), this technology works because of the amount of cores.

* exactly how many free failover ips are included? "16 + 32 to 128 Failover IP" suggests host-32 gets 16, 64 gets 32 and 128 gets 128, but it's not made explicit on the sales page
All the 3 models of the Hosting range have:
16 IP failovers included

Afterwards, you can get more IPs, through RIPE blocks:
HOST-32: 32 IPs in RIPE blocks
HOST-64: 64 IPs in RIPE blocks
HOST-128: 128 IPs in RIPE blocks

* is the ipv4 setup fee per ip or per allocation?
It's per IP, and it's only paid once. If you need to move the IPs to another server from another range (Enterprise or Infrastructure) , then the IP will be billed according to the prices of those ranges (per IP per month).

* are failover ips able to be failed-over individually or is it an all or nothing system?
the IP failovers can be moved automatically, but not so the RIPE blocks.

* I’m assuming that ripe justifications will be required for blocks, if for example I only need half the free ip’s to begin with, will the other half still be free if and when I need them or will they become chargeable?
for the blocks, you buy the block size you need: 16 IPs, 32 IPs or 64 IPs.

* are backup servers considered part of the same "range" from the point of view of failover ip's becoming chargeable? there's not a lot of point in having a backup server if ever using it would result in a massive bill (p.s have you considered allowing say a 1 week grace period before charging which would mean people could failover to a cheap kimsurfi while they fixed their main server)
The idea of the backup servers is data backup, not moving IPs to the server. If you need that kind of redundancy (multiple hosts for your VMs, for example), you need to get another Host server, not a backup server.

Infrastructure

* These have 3tb drives whereas the other ranges only have 2tb, please explain why
that's the definition of the ranges. Infrastructure is meant to provide the highest specs, as it's the platform for the most demanding projects.

* Overall virtual rack seams like a bit of a weak selling point. Other customers might value it more, but to my mind it's a bit like having kvm .... nice to have, but not actually particularly useful per-se, personally i'd have have thought including a 2 port hwr would have made more sense (and still given you room to upsell to a 4 port for upgrades) given the fuss you make about ha and redundancy on the page.
vrack can be useful for virtualization (that's what, I gather, you want to do) , but it's not the main idea behind it, it's more useful for other applications.

general

*"Global services New support (2014) Scalable support Fastpath OVH diagnostic" where can i find some information about what these are and how much they'll cost?
We'll provide more information about this option soon.

* why are the base configurations on 10 day lead times whereas almost any hdd upgrade will reduce this to 3 days (even on configs not requiring a raid card!) i swear by hwr anyway but this seems like a pretty shallow attempt at upselling
To provide the servers, for certain models, yes, there is a lead time of 10 days.

*Even if they can't have it by default for cost reasons Why isn’t 3tb sata an upgrade option in hosting and enterprise?
That's a design and specification decision. Host and Enterprise are not upgradable anyway, that's only for certain Infrastructure models. You can choose the hdd setup at the beginning, and that's all

* what is "PROFESSIONAL Support" I'm assuming it's hardware faults only?
that's all the support we can give, opposed to our other brands like SoYouStart and Kimsufi, which get limited support.

* where can i find a pricelist of all after signup extras?
there are not many extra options for OVH servers. The prices are all on the website. Do you have any doubt for any particular options?

* Is there a formal policy version of your forum post explaining how the hardware upgrade / discount policy will work
Hardware upgrade is only available for the HG models under Infrastructure. For discounts, at the moment we're only considering discounts on getting servers for longer periods upfront. More information here:
http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.ph...ll=1#post58534

Hope it's useful set of answers. Let us know if you need more information.

Neil
18-12-2013, 10:40
Hi, I have replied to each question next to it.

Hello
I currently have a dedicated server with your German rivals, but was considering moving to ovh. Unfortunately I decided to take the plunge about a week after you went “sold out”. While I was happy with and understood the old range, I do have some queries about your new one.

Hosting

* Why does this use amd cpu's when the other two ranges use intel, it looks like the hosting range is being short-changed

The Hosting range is aimed at Web Hosting and VPS Servers where more Cores is generally more useful, see the benchmarks, https://twitter.com/olesovhcom/statu...97689328926720

* exactly how many free failover ips are included? "16 + 32 to 128 Failover IP" suggests host-32 gets 16, 64 gets 32 and 128 gets 128, but it's not made explicit on the sales page - You just need to pay the setup fees for the IPs 'included' there a no monthly fees.

* is the ipv4 setup fee per ip or per allocation? Per an IP.

* are failover ips able to be failed-over individually or is it an all or nothing system? - Individual FailOver IPs can be moved individually to another server.

* depending on how the free ip allocation system works host64 compares poorly to a px90

* I’m assuming that ripe justifications will be required for blocks, if for example I only need half the free ip’s to begin with, will the other half still be free if and when I need them or will they become chargeable? Justifications is required, if you only want half then only order half, like 32 instead of 64, then order another 32 later.

* are backup servers considered part of the same "range" from the point of view of failover ip's becoming chargeable? there's not a lot of point in having a backup server if ever using it would result in a massive bill (p.s have you considered allowing say a 1 week grace period before charging which would mean people could failover to a cheap kimsurfi while they fixed their main server). The Backup range is different and only supports the main server IP.

Infrastructure

* These have 3tb drives whereas the other ranges only have 2tb, please explain why - That is just the way the models are.

* Overall virtual rack seams like a bit of a weak selling point. Other customers might value it more, but to my mind it's a bit like having kvm .... nice to have, but not actually particularly vital per-se, personally i'd have have thought including a 2 port hwr would have made more sense (and still given you room to upsell to a 4 port for upgrades) given the fuss you make about ha and redundancy on the page.

The Virtual Rack is very important for most Infrastructure customers and is the main reason for the Infrastructure range.

general

*"Global services New support (2014) Scalable support Fastpath OVH diagnostic" where can i find some information about what these are and how much they'll cost? -

* why are the base configurations on 10 day lead times whereas almost any hdd upgrade will reduce this to 3 days (even on configs not requiring a raid card!) i swear by hwr anyway but this seems like a pretty shallow attempt at upselling - The servers are fixed models, the base models have higher demand at the moment.

* Why isn’t 3tb sata an upgrade option in hosting and enterprise? - Just the way the models are.

* what is "PROFESSIONAL Support" I'm assuming it's hardware faults only? All the servers are unmanaged.

* where can i find a pricelist of all after signup extras? Under each each model click on detailed list.

* Is there a formal policy version of your forum post explaining how the hardware upgrade / discount policy will work
- The servers are fixed models so not possible to upgrade them.

rikkan
18-12-2013, 10:30
Fair enough, thanks for chipping in!

The only benefit i could see from it was essentially it saved me having to put an ignore line for each host into csf (and if i'm brutally honest i put it in as mostly just to give me something to say.

Mark1978
18-12-2013, 09:38
* Overall virtual rack seams like a bit of a weak selling point. Other customers might value it more, but to my mind it's a bit like having kvm .... nice to have, but not actually particularly vital per-se, personally i'd have have thought including a 2 port hwr would have made more sense (and still given you room to upsell to a 4 port for upgrades) given the fuss you make about ha and redundancy on the page.
Depends on your infrastructure. Virtual Rack is vital for us especially as it's behind a firewall meaning we have our own private network within OVH. Plus we have a VPN connection through to our offices in the UK so OVH is part of our internal network., so we maintain a single firewall (at OVH) and not dozens of individual firewalls on servers.

It would also be impossible for our load balancing system to work any other way, as it relies on machines being able to raise their own IP addresses within the network, and not have to allocate them from the manager.

So; from our point of view the virtual rack is OVH's number 1 selling point.

rikkan
17-12-2013, 22:10
Hello

Hosting

* exactly how many free failover ips are included? "16 + 32 to 128 Failover IP" suggests host-32 gets 16, 64 gets 32 and 128 gets 128, but it's not made explicit on the sales page

* is the ipv4 setup fee per ip or per allocation?

* are failover ips able to be failed-over individually or is it an all or nothing system?

* depending on how the free ip allocation system works host64 compares poorly to a px90

* I’m assuming that ripe justifications will be required for blocks, if for example I only need half the free ip’s to begin with, will the other half still be free if and when I need them or will they become chargeable?

* are backup servers considered part of the same "range" from the point of view of failover ip's becoming chargeable? there's not a lot of point in having a backup server if ever using it would result in a massive bill (p.s have you considered allowing say a 1 week grace period before charging which would mean people could failover to a cheap kimsurfi while they fixed their main server)

Infrastructure

* These have 3tb drives whereas the other ranges only have 2tb, please explain why

* Overall virtual rack seams like a bit of a weak selling point. Other customers might value it more, but to my mind it's a bit like having kvm .... nice to have, but not actually particularly useful per-se, personally i'd have have thought including a 2 port hwr would have made more sense (and still given you room to upsell to a 4 port for upgrades) given the fuss you make about ha and redundancy on the page.

general

*"Global services New support (2014) Scalable support Fastpath OVH diagnostic" where can i find some information about what these are and how much they'll cost?

* why are the base configurations on 10 day lead times whereas almost any hdd upgrade will reduce this to 3 days (even on configs not requiring a raid card!) i swear by hwr anyway but this seems like a pretty shallow attempt at upselling

*Even if they can't have it by default for cost reasons Why isn’t 3tb sata an upgrade option in hosting and enterprise?

* what is "PROFESSIONAL Support" I'm assuming it's hardware faults only?

* where can i find a pricelist of all after signup extras?