OVH Community, your new community space.

RPS II vs. Kimsufi XL vs. "Value Linux Server"

ruperthair
16-09-2008, 11:18
Quote Originally Posted by Palad1n
I have had 2 OVH RPS v1's and they were cr*p, slow disk access, failed to boot, needed intervention to attach to iSCSI disks etc.
How long ago did you have the RPS? It's obviously not good that early adopters suffer these sorts of problems but some problems are to be expected when a system as innovative as this is first in production.

Palad1n
16-09-2008, 09:37
I have a number of VPS (Virtuozzo) and Dedicated and they are tools, you go in a toolbox and get a tool to do a job.
I have customers with large eCommerce platforms who want dedicated, other just want cheap hosting space, the VPS is great for DNS/Mail and keep dedi's for WWW.
I have had 2 OVH RPS v1's and they were cr*p, slow disk access, failed to boot, needed intervention to attach to iSCSI disks etc.
Go with Kimsufi and backup locally (not OVH backup) so you can restore if it dies.
Or get a quality VPS

ruperthair
14-09-2008, 15:08
Quote Originally Posted by unclebob
I have never had a problem with my RPS in the three months that I have had it.
That's what I like to hear. Thanks for the reply.

ruperthair
14-09-2008, 15:07
Quote Originally Posted by JALZOO
Can i just point out that your refering to the "kimsufi" and not the "Kimsufi XL".
Ah yes, thanks. Edited above.

Quote Originally Posted by JALZOO
Nothing compares to a dedicated server in my opinion.. Ive had RPS servers from OVH there really is a big difference in performance.. Dedicated wins in my book!.
The RPSes are dedicated servers, just ones with SAN disks rather than local. Have your tried an RPS and found it to be poor? What seemed to be the limiting factor?

unclebob
14-09-2008, 09:54
I have the entry-level (£10) RPS server, upgrading from a VPS at another provider.

Best decision I have ever made.

A whole processor for myself, and unlimited bandwidth.

I have never had a problem with my RPS in the three months that I have had it.

JALZOO
14-09-2008, 02:08
Can i just point out that your refering to the "kimsufi" and not the "Kimsufi XL".

The kimsufi XL is 24.99 per month and has the following spec:

Intel pentium 4 3.00Ghz HT
2GB DDR Ram
250GB HDD

Nothing compares to a dedicated server in my opinion.. Ive had RPS servers from OVH there really is a big difference in performance.. Dedicated wins in my book!.

Andy
13-09-2008, 23:48
Quote Originally Posted by ruperthair
Thanks for the information. 4-5 days is quite some significant down-time but I guess you get what you pay for with these things.

Does anyone have any real-world experience with the hardware replacement process?
Hmm, now that I re-read what I wrote, I could be wrong, it might be 48 real hours, since the data center technicians work 24 hours a day... Probably makes more sense!

ruperthair
13-09-2008, 23:44
Quote Originally Posted by Andy
The hardware replacement time on the Kimsufi is stated on the product page as 48 working hours, which would really mean 4-5 days since they work 9-10 hour shifts as far as I know. I assume this would be significantly less however if they wanted to keep your custom!

The non-kimsufi servers offer 1-4 hours replacement time.
Thanks for the information. 4-5 days is quite some significant down-time but I guess you get what you pay for with these things.

Does anyone have any real-world experience with the hardware replacement process?

Andy
13-09-2008, 23:28
Quote Originally Posted by ruperthair
My main question for the users of this forum is: What sort of reliability can I expect from the RPS II? I'd also be interested in knowing how long it will take OVH to repair a failed disk or PSU in a Kimsufi. I've read some horror stories on this forum, but I understand that these will probably only constitute a small percentage of OVH's gigantic customer base.

Thanks,

Rupert
Having not owned an RPS I can't say much about their reliability but from stories on the forum, some people have problems with getting their RPS to get a connection to its hard disk. This is mainly because its a technology in the making, so its bound to have bugs.

The hardware replacement time on the Kimsufi is stated on the product page as 48 working hours, which would really mean 4-5 days since they work 9-10 hour shifts as far as I know. I assume this would be significantly less however if they wanted to keep your custom!

The non-kimsufi servers offer 1-4 hours replacement time.

ruperthair
13-09-2008, 23:08
I'd like to begin by congratulating OVH on deign of the RPS. 96 liquid-cooled servers per rack is a serious achievement! Also, the use of software-based iSCSI/NFS is a great idea for cheap servers! Does anyone have any pictures of one of these racks and/or the individual servers?

After scouring the internet for cheap dedicated servers (virtual or physical) hosted in Europe, with 1GB of RAM and redundant disks, I have come up with the following alternatives:

- OVH's RPS II: 2x1.9GHz, 1GB RAM, 10GB redundant 'disk' with snapshots @ £25
- OVH's Kimsufi: 1.2GHz, 1GB RAM, 250GB disk @ £20
- Someone else's "Value Linux Server": 2GHz, 1GB RAM, 80GB redundant disk @ £30

I've included the Kimsufi as, although is doesn't meet my requirement for redundant disks, it is very cheap. Does anyone have any more recommendations for cheap servers that do meet my requirements?

My main question for the users of this forum is: What sort of reliability can I expect from the RPS II? I'd also be interested in knowing how long it will take OVH to repair a failed disk or PSU in a Kimsufi. I've read some horror stories on this forum, but I understand that these will probably only constitute a small percentage of OVH's gigantic customer base.

Thanks,

Rupert