OVH Community, your new community space.

Pleasantly surprised at OVH Support

Mark1978
14-02-2014, 14:03
Don't want to go into detail but OVH has gone through a lot of changes in the past year; I can't think of any which have been for the better.

ctype_alnum
14-02-2014, 13:55
You ordered a VPS so you're not managing or having to worry about the hardware side which will be a lot more reliable than most servers they sell. Problem is Oles has damaged his brand so much its hard for people not to say what they are thinking.

avizeke
14-02-2014, 13:33
no worries at all trappier, its a open forum for discussion and I like hearing what others say especially on this topic. Either way I think we can all agree that OVH is not what it used to be and it isn't meant in a good way.

I would like to see ovh staff respond considering its a constructive post I made and not a troll fuelled post. Insight is all every one as a customer requires.

Trapper
14-02-2014, 09:41
Quote Originally Posted by avizeke
a rumour travels half way around the world while the truth is putting its shoes on.
Totally agree

Alot of bad publicity has occurred from some of its previous customer base, and that has grown and over emphasised on and even blown out of proportion.
A lot of bad publicity has occurred from some of the really bad choices made at OVH.

Ovh support has actually taken alot of stick for things that arnt in there control like company changes and duration estimated times for delivery of servers... so for that aspect ... kudos
OVH Support has taken lots of stick because they are the only exposed part, our only contact. Most of us understand they were doing their best over the last 8 months or so, but who else can we ask for answers? If they are un-able to provide answers to simple questions, then it is not our fault for asking them... It is OVH's fault for not having the answers before they make changes. While that may not be the fault of the UK support team, it certainly is the fault of the OVH, NOT the customers.

I think alot of the grief is based at the development of the projects that has happened the past 6 months in which i have closely watched. Disappointing results... yes. But it could have been worse. all of which i dont think support has anything to be responsible for.
For me, any many here, this started a little longer ago, with the botched install of "VAC" the anti-DDoS system. You say it could have been worse? It was worse for those of us who:

Suddenly could not connect to a server,
Contacted UK support,
Had a ticket opened for us at the data-center,
Were then ignored for days by the French,
Then told to contact a mailing list (in French, with French signup instructions)
(Remember, when we are told to contact this ML, we did not know that OVH had an Anti-DDoS system, so this seemed like we were being push from pillar to post)
Got no-where with the ML, because we did not post in exactly the way Oles wanted, with all of the internal programming details of the black-box he had designed.
Gave up with the ML, and went back to UK support, only to be told support is now forum-only.
Finally get ecerything working only to find-out that I am now paying MORE and getting LESS than I signed up for...!

Is this support fault? No, but there comes a point when someone from the UK picks up the phone, dials +33... and asks some very pointed questions.

i would give ovh a 6 out of ten but i would give the support here 9 out of 10. 10 outta 10 if there was a cookie with every call made.

good work guys,
Overall, I'd give OVH 4/10, if this was an energy, telecoms or banking business operating in the UK, they would certainly have been in front of the select committees by now.

For support, because they never did sort-out the VAC issues, and did not say to Oles "WTF are you doing putting Alpha-Stage kit into a production environment..?", I am afraid I cannot be as generous as you. At best a 6/10.

but backat developement... lets sort it guys
I think they (DEV) are now getting there, not before time. Proof however will come at the next major change, so for this we have to wait.

raid options for SYS deployed servers
reseller options which are late
kimsufi in the US which is late.
I'd like to add to this... Can we please have a server, with reasonable support, which does not breath fire... What I mean is something with 4 cores, and 4GB Ram. 8GB if you must, but I do not see the point in paying for 32GB+ just to leave 29GB sitting there idle.

remove setup fee, in which no one agreed with.
Hmmm. I don't mean to be contrary, but I agree with the setup fees, as they work in two ways:

1. They stop the turn-over issue, which lets face it, actually brought OVH to it's knees last year.
2. They can be used to control the numbers of new servers which need to be setup. As an aside here, I suspect they should have now become lower, as the volume-protection the setup fees provide is not needed as much now compared with when the 2014's were released.

Sorry avizeke, this was not intended as a blast at you, even if that is the way it seems. My experience of OVH is obviously much different to yours, and I think almost everything you said needed to be qualified with a different point of view.

~Trap

LinuxGam
13-02-2014, 22:46
** Deleted **

avizeke
13-02-2014, 16:03
a rumour travels half way around the world while the truth is putting its shoes on. Alot of bad publicity has occurred from some of its previous customer base, and that has grown and over emphasised on and even blown out of proportion. Ovh support has actually taken alot of stick for things that arnt in there control like company changes and duration estimated times for delivery of servers... so for that aspect ... kudos

I think alot of the grief is based at the development of the projects that has happened the past 6 months in which i have closely watched. Disappointing results... yes. But it could have been worse. all of which i dont think support has anything to be responsible for.

i would give ovh a 6 out of ten but i would give the support here 9 out of 10. 10 outta 10 if there was a cookie with every call made.

good work guys, but backat developement... lets sort it guys

raid options for SYS deployed servers
reseller options which are late
kimsufi in the US which is late.
remove setup fee, in which no one agreed with.

Dani
12-02-2014, 11:23
I'm still relevively new here on the forums, you will see more of me here

Neil
12-02-2014, 10:34
Quote Originally Posted by Mark1978
Danny?
I thought there was only Neil
No I am not the one man army

Mark1978
12-02-2014, 09:43
Danny?
I thought there was only Neil

Dani
11-02-2014, 17:56
Hey!

Thanks for the nice words! I will try and help out as much as i can.

Danny

Zeusking19
11-02-2014, 15:52
Hi Guys,

I have read quite a lot that OVH support is pretty bad, however my recent encounter with support concerning my VPS order was great.
Thanks to Danny, my issue was resolved quickly with no fuss and I am now the proud owner of an OVH VPS.

Sometimes the support is OK, despite what people have said.

Kudos, OVH