OVH Community, your new community space.

Using IPV6

crowarth
07-03-2014, 15:56
Quote Originally Posted by phillcampbell
If your 5 VMs are directly connected to the internet, assigning them individual IPv6 addresses will work as per any standard guide without issue.

If you have an internal host only network (as I do), you need a firewall VM to handle the connections to your VMs on your internal network.

Following standard guides to get IPv6 up and running on a debian firewall should cover the basics. Use https://code.google.com/p/npd6/ to force your firewall VM to answer to all IPv6 addresses in your /64 prefix. This is needed as OVH only route the prefix up to your box, without it your firewall will only respond to its assigned IPv6 address and you will not be able to use global IPv6 addresses within your internal VM network.

npd6 basically makes your firewall tell the OVH network that it is using every IPv6 address in your prefix, your firewall will then forward the traffic to the relevant VM on the internal network as per the normal IPv6 guides.
All the guests are directly connected - so i should have no problems then really?

phillcampbell
24-02-2014, 18:06
If your 5 VMs are directly connected to the internet, assigning them individual IPv6 addresses will work as per any standard guide without issue.

If you have an internal host only network (as I do), you need a firewall VM to handle the connections to your VMs on your internal network.

Following standard guides to get IPv6 up and running on a debian firewall should cover the basics. Use https://code.google.com/p/npd6/ to force your firewall VM to answer to all IPv6 addresses in your /64 prefix. This is needed as OVH only route the prefix up to your box, without it your firewall will only respond to its assigned IPv6 address and you will not be able to use global IPv6 addresses within your internal VM network.

npd6 basically makes your firewall tell the OVH network that it is using every IPv6 address in your prefix, your firewall will then forward the traffic to the relevant VM on the internal network as per the normal IPv6 guides.

marks
24-02-2014, 13:15
OVH wouldn't do any guide for such a use. I would suggest you to check VMWare guides on that. Not sure if it's at all possible to do so, and I suggest you to search on these forum as they've been cases in the past of people trying to do the same as you want to.

crowarth
23-02-2014, 20:45
Hey forum!

So I have one of the 2013 mSP's with a /64 ipv6 block. I want to start getting into ipv6, so that i can run a few more virtual machines without hitting my ipv4 limit.

the problem i have is that i'm running esxi on my msp with 5 vm's all using ipv4. the ovh guides aren't all that clear, but i couldn't see mention of ipv6 used with esxi.

has anyone done this?