We are in the process of migrating this forum. A new space will be available soon. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Safely cleaning HDD's before returning server

Myatu
11-03-2014, 08:59
Slap a linux distro on it, boot it in rescue mode, then after finding the right partition with:

Code:
fdisk -l
You overwrite it with random gibberish:

Code:
dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sda1 bs=4096
I would only recommend doing that on the partition (ie. /dev/sdaX) and not the disk itself (/dev/sda) so as not to mess up the MBR - Lord knows if OVH has some special tricks there. And also note that the above command does not ask for any confirmation whatsoever. Hit enter, and the data is done for.

Trapper
10-03-2014, 20:33
Hi Guys,

I am about to expire another server, I have moved it's services to one of my LeaseWeb boxes.

Does anyone have any thoughts about the best way to destroy any remaining data on the drives before I return the box?

Obviously, OVH would not allow me to turn up with a few sticks of TNT, and the data is not that sensitive. But this was an email server, and although the files have been deleted, I wondered if there was anything extra I should do.

Currently the server is running W2008R2 WebEd. I have a couple of weeks remaining, so I could install a Linux variant, if that would help.

Thanks in advance,

~Trap