OVH Community, your new community space.

Couple of Hosting Questions

Dortmunderz
16-06-2014, 05:43
Quote Originally Posted by Neil
Hi

Since this is a Web Hosting package there is no guaranteed speeds for downloads, it is stated in the Terms of Service that it cannot be used for file storage. As long as there is no copyrighted files there should not be any issues, if there is we will contact you. You cannot grant external access to MySQL Databases, the differences with the database sizes are listed on the website.

You can use your own domain name but you would loose out on a free one
4 days here, here pre-sales questions not answered. Does OVH care about obtaining new clients at all?

Why such an incomplete and careless answer? I swear Siri gives more complete answers.

"Web Hosting" range includes the Top tier version with what it looks like camouflaged slightly depowered managed VPS with GUARANTEED resources. as you own website states.

Why not address the company's statement why not offer the performance range and elaborate on this? thats what the customer to be is asking for .

Also every shared host if not already stated on their site at least responds with specifics like "you have 10% cpu share. etc. but you still dodge the direct specific question.
Seriously I am thinking that this is how OVh generates forum traffic- incomplete beat-around-the-bush careless answers.

blacklogic.112
09-06-2014, 14:08
1. Maybe lag issues:
When I first loaded my map there were tons of pure black spots all over the hills and stuff. Upon closer inspection, they were entrances to caves, or overhangs as little as one block deep. The problem was that the game wasn't loading the lighting correctly, and that it was either being pitch black or bright light.

Neil
25-03-2014, 10:32
Quote Originally Posted by Cypherous
A partial answer is a start

What is the difference between the so called "professional" SQL and "personal" SQL as one package lists both, if there is no difference why does it differentiate between them, i am aware that they list the sizes but what is the actual difference between them.

With regards to the ToS and "file storage" you need to be more specific, i plan on using this web hosting as essentially a CDN for a site i will be running, to explain further, my site currently has space for people to submit articles with the option of attaching a single image, currently i have a file size limitation of 1.5MB for the file and it would be an image, its gaming related so it would be screenshots etc (.bmp .png .jpg etc), that site would then feed that image to a script running on the hosting i might purchase from OVH which would then store the image and i would hotlink the image from the server hosting the website, would this sort of activity be deemed as acceptable or is this what you mean by "file storage" or are you referring to people just using it as public FTP space to publically distribute files, all images would be screened before being linked so as to avoid anything deemed inappropriate or illegal and there wouldn't be a directory listing enabled.

I notice you also did answer the bandwidth question, is it actually unlimited or is there a fair use policy and restrictions on bandwidth used, this is actually one of the more important bits of information i require, thanks for your help so far though Niel
Hi

I recommend you read the Terms of Service then for Web Hosting so you can be clear on what we accept, http://www.ovh.co.uk/support/termsof...RED_SERVER.pdf - The same for the bandwidth, there is fair usage policy since it is shared resources.

Trapper
25-03-2014, 08:39
Hi Cypherous & AlexK09,

First, welcome to the forum...

As you are asking about Bandwidth, I guess you have some idea about what it is. In this case you may also have some idea about how much you need. If you know, let us know.

The reason you will get bumped from the "shared" platform is that you may effect other users. If you are causing them an issue, you will also be causing yourself an issue.

The answer to your bandwidth question is not going to be a straight-forward one, but if you need anything beyond a normal website, then AlexK09 is right, you need to think about a dedicated server.

A dedicated server will also solve your other "problems".

Which dedicated server range you go for (again) depends on what Bandwidth you need. If you consider the KS range have a 100Mb/s network connection, would that be enough?

For one video which is played a few times a day, a KS would be fine. If you are thinking that more than one person may be watching the video at a time, then you need to think carefully about the network cards' connection speed.

Because it looks like a dedi is the way to go, that makes these things more simple:

File Storage.
The reason for the file storage policy is so that you do not use 4TB of disk space as a backup to you media PC. The files you FTP to the website are supposed to be for the website. If those files are accessible via the website, then you should have no issue. In most cases, unless you are using huge amounts of space, no one will even ask the question. If you use a dedicated server, then you are only limited by the size of the HDD - what you store there is up to you.

Databases.
Again, this is probably a mute point now, as with a dedicated server, you control who has access to your DB. I have DB's on servers here which are contacted regularly by external servers in England and Holland.

Hope this helps,

~Trap

AlexK09
25-03-2014, 00:44
With Regards to the unlimited bandwidth, if your site has a large amount of website hits, ( thousands ) then i would recommend you get a kimsufi or something similar we had OVH web hosting and it was suspended all most instantly due to our website being extremely popular.

Cypherous
24-03-2014, 18:37
Quote Originally Posted by Neil
Hi

Since this is a Web Hosting package there is no guaranteed speeds for downloads, it is stated in the Terms of Service that it cannot be used for file storage. As long as there is no copyrighted files there should not be any issues, if there is we will contact you. You cannot grant external access to MySQL Databases, the differences with the database sizes are listed on the website.

A partial answer is a start

What is the difference between the so called "professional" SQL and "personal" SQL as one package lists both, if there is no difference why does it differentiate between them, i am aware that they list the sizes but what is the actual difference between them.

With regards to the ToS and "file storage" you need to be more specific, i plan on using this web hosting as essentially a CDN for a site i will be running, to explain further, my site currently has space for people to submit articles with the option of attaching a single image, currently i have a file size limitation of 1.5MB for the file and it would be an image, its gaming related so it would be screenshots etc (.bmp .png .jpg etc), that site would then feed that image to a script running on the hosting i might purchase from OVH which would then store the image and i would hotlink the image from the server hosting the website, would this sort of activity be deemed as acceptable or is this what you mean by "file storage" or are you referring to people just using it as public FTP space to publically distribute files, all images would be screened before being linked so as to avoid anything deemed inappropriate or illegal and there wouldn't be a directory listing enabled.

I notice you also did answer the bandwidth question, is it actually unlimited or is there a fair use policy and restrictions on bandwidth used, this is actually one of the more important bits of information i require, thanks for your help so far though Niel

Neil
24-03-2014, 18:05
Hi

Cypherous
24-03-2014, 12:08
I tried using the contact form about a week ago but never got a response so i'm hoping someone here will be able to answer my questions

I'm looking at purchasing a web hosting package from OVH but had some pre-sales questions that i need definitive answers to, not vague answers

1) The package is listed on the website with "unlimited" traffic, now, not being a moron i know that unlimited is very rarely ever unlimited for obvious reasons, hence i need to know what the bandwidth allowance is, what speeds i'll be getting on the connection to my files and what the OVH fair use policy is regarding file access

2) In addition to the above considering the bandwidth is listed as "unlimited" what restrictions are there on hosted content, obviously nothing illegal but i need to know if there are any prohibited file extensions or restrictions on what can be streamed in or out of the server, again obviously assuming i own the rights to everything hosted so DMCA and copyright will never be an issue, could i for example host a video file and stream that or will OVH start sending me unpleasant emails asking me to cease this

3) With regards to SQL, your packages aren't overly clear and they reference "personal" and "professional" SQL, whats the difference exactly and while on the subject whats OVH's policy regarding remote SQL using a whitelist, and by that i mean granting an external server access to my OVH servers SQL database, my current web host allows this and has a whitelist i can edit to allow access

4) As i will be entering in to a monthly contract rather than an annual one i would like to know what the policy is regarding not taking the free domain and just using an external domain i own and just redirecting the name servers to the one provided by OVH

I look forward to hearing back regarding these questions