OVH Community, your new community space.

Support - an example

Criot
04-04-2014, 01:09
I guess each of the servers could really be used for anything, they just have additional features which suit that 'range' as such. Heck, I aint using the Hosting range for hosting, I use some from the Enterprise range for hosting. I guess it's just an 'easier' way of offering different features which suit different users requirements.

Trapper
03-04-2014, 23:18
Quote Originally Posted by Criot
Looks like they're actually offering them now

http://www.ovh.co.uk/dedicated_servers/big-data/
Do you think they were waiting for someone to say something...? How strange this should come right after my post...

I'm a fan of both the old range and the new ranges, it's good that theirs a choice between having double the amount of RAM for the same price, or having more disk space and less RAM for the same price, the Hosting range is one I'm not a fan of, due to the AMD Processors, however.

Just think it would be good for OVH to offer more than 2 identical drives again, giving users more of a variety in terms of the disks.
I liked the old ranges, I have had almost all of them from the smallest KS to EG, the only thing (I think) I have never had is a HG.

The new ranges still, even with these additions present two problems to me:

1. (In a very flippant tone) I don't like someone else telling ME what a machine is for. Tell me the specs for them all, and I'll decide if I am going to use it for HOSTing or INFRAstructure. Damn, look at the backup range they are talking about, something like 214 TB of data in one of them. I use a KS2-G for one of my backup roles...!

2. Not everyone wants to get a single HG with 256 GB RAM, and 2048-threads*(see note 1) and then split it into 8 virtual machines. I'd rather have a server do one or two jobs, and it only needs to have the 4 or 8 GB of RAM those jobs use. For this reason, the new range is never going to attract me, the most RAM I have ever used was 10GB on a 'box with MSSQL on it.

I guess the up-shot of this remains the same; I am no-longer able to rent from OVH:

__________KS____________SYS__________OVH
Support__ Not Enough____Not Enough___Not Great
Range_____Limited_______Narrow_______Too High

~Trap

Note 1. Oles. Please. This is not a request, please do not think you need to launch another set of servers with 2048-Threads, just because that "Rosbif" Trapper mentioned it...

elcct
03-04-2014, 21:59

Oh if only there was something like BD-8T but with 4x160GB or 4x240GB SSD that would be just brilliant.

Criot
03-04-2014, 16:38

Criot
03-04-2014, 01:01
Quote Originally Posted by Trapper
@The rest of you (and the guy who talked Oles into releasing the 2014 identikit server range)...

It seems there are many here who appreciated the older ranges. When I first rented from OVH, the choice went from tiny to massive in all directions. Now you have to go almost to the top-priced model to get 4 disks.

This is a major issue if (like me in this case) you only need 4 cores and 4 or 8 GB RAM in the first place...

Sorry Neil, but this server, and by the sounds of it, many others you have priced yourselves out of a job, just so that every machine can have exactly 2 drives, and almost exactly too much memory...

~Trap
I'm a fan of both the old range and the new ranges, it's good that theirs a choice between having double the amount of RAM for the same price, or having more disk space and less RAM for the same price, the Hosting range is one I'm not a fan of, due to the AMD Processors, however.

Just think it would be good for OVH to offer more than 2 identical drives again, giving users more of a variety in terms of the disks.

Trapper
03-04-2014, 00:18
Well, that post got a reaction..!

Quote Originally Posted by Neil
If it was the Windows Firewall then you could use the WinRescue to disable the Firewall at OVH, see http://help.ovh.co.uk/WinpeSRVFirewall + Plus our OVH Servers have KVM and Serial Connection, so you could connect to the server via one of these methods and removed/fix the rule.

@Neil,

This was the Windows Firewall.

I learnt something with this one... I am not sure WinRescue would have worked, as the disk was not in a "proper state", see the part about W2012Std & W8 not releasing the disks in a decent manner, unless the machine has done a proper "shut down".

Maybe you (or someone here) could try this out?

KVM would have worked, but not sure I even have that as an option on the existing server (SP Storage 2011).

Quote Originally Posted by cartwright118
Out of interest, where was this?

Thanks,
Christian
I did say that I would not say.... The answer may take just a little more scrolling: Just a little

Quote Originally Posted by EVERYONE ELSE
Disks Disks Disks

@The rest of you (and the guy who talked Oles into releasing the 2014 identikit server range)...

It seems there are many here who appreciated the older ranges. When I first rented from OVH, the choice went from tiny to massive in all directions. Now you have to go almost to the top-priced model to get 4 disks.

This is a major issue if (like me in this case) you only need 4 cores and 4 or 8 GB RAM in the first place...

Sorry Neil, but this server, and by the sounds of it, many others you have priced yourselves out of a job, just so that every machine can have exactly 2 drives, and almost exactly too much memory...

~Trap

elcct
02-04-2014, 23:25
I for example can't find suitable offer, because I don't want RAID and servers with decent SSD drives are offered with hardware RAID only.

Option with Software Raid is too expensive if you compare to SYS.

Almost ideal is SYS-E32-4, but it has hardware RAID, then model without RAID has weaker CPU...

So nothing suitable for me at OVH...

Criot
02-04-2014, 23:11
Quote Originally Posted by LinuxGam
I run 8 x SSD in RAID 10, but had to get the BIG HG and of course CPU/RAM is very low used.

I would have happily gone for a 4 x SSD (hardware raid) on their lowest Infrastructure model, but it's not possible. The reason I went 8x and Big HG as they give you the option to buy the parts upfront, which being as it will be more than enough for 3 years +, makes sense.
Yep, the HG and Big HG seem to be the only way to get 4+ identical drives, though, they're a lot more costly than the lower spec servers.

LinuxGam
02-04-2014, 23:08
This is what I'm getting at, not only that, but OVH attract a lot of hosting companies, so HDDs in RAID 10 might be popular as well.

It is very weird that they are able to offer 2 HDDs and 2 SSDs in one server, but not 4 identical drives.
I run 8 x SSD in RAID 10, but had to get the BIG HG and of course CPU/RAM is very low used.

I would have happily gone for a 4 x SSD (hardware raid) on their lowest Infrastructure model, but it's not possible. The reason I went 8x and Big HG as they give you the option to buy the parts upfront, which being as it will be more than enough for 3 years +, makes sense.

Criot
02-04-2014, 23:03
However, they offer 2x SSD + 2 x SATA on the 4i hardware RAID, so I think it's just an oversight, as they must already have chassis space and "if" 4 x SSD is low demand, then only make a enough for proven demand. With the size of SSD's going up and the price going down, I would expect 4 x SSD would be more popular then their current mixed setup on 4i RAID
This is what I'm getting at, not only that, but OVH attract a lot of hosting companies, so HDDs in RAID 10 might be popular as well.

It is very weird that they are able to offer 2 HDDs and 2 SSDs in one server, but not 4 identical drives.

cartwright118
02-04-2014, 22:43
Quote Originally Posted by Trapper
I feel I have been given excellent service....
Out of interest, where was this?

Thanks,
Christian

LinuxGam
02-04-2014, 20:05
I guess a reason they've avoided it was because of the additional server modules they'd have to setup, probably would put too much pressure on the production lines. Personally I can't see why OVH don't take customized orders, most others do.
However, they offer 2x SSD + 2 x SATA on the 4i hardware RAID, so I think it's just an oversight, as they must already have chassis space and "if" 4 x SSD is low demand, then only make a enough for proven demand. With the size of SSD's going up and the price going down, I would expect 4 x SSD would be more popular then their current mixed setup on 4i RAID

Criot
02-04-2014, 19:33
This is such a good idea.. I ended up paying for a BIG HG so I could get a decent Hardware RAID SSD setup and decided being as I had to go to that level to get more than 2 SSD disks I'd go for the top server rather then HG. However, If they had offered an option on all Infrastructure ranges on the 4i card with 4 x SSD or 4 x SAS, I would almost def have gone with the EG-32 or EG-64 and paid whatever the extra was. Def something to consider, particularly the 4 x SDD on hardware RAID for servers that need good disk IO.

Just my two cents.
I guess a reason they've avoided it was because of the additional server modules they'd have to setup, probably would put too much pressure on the production lines. Personally I can't see why OVH don't take customized orders, most others do.

LinuxGam
02-04-2014, 19:24
I have to agree with you in the fact that it's surprising OVH don't offer more than just 2 (identical) drives even on their main range, but, one of the benefits of OVH in comparison to their competitors is the DDoS Protection, which is pretty much essential on any network now days.

Would be nice to see them offer more than 2 identical drives though.
This is such a good idea.. I ended up paying for a BIG HG so I could get a decent Hardware RAID SSD setup and decided being as I had to go to that level to get more than 2 SSD disks I'd go for the top server rather then HG. However, If they had offered an option on all Infrastructure ranges on the 4i card with 4 x SSD or 4 x SAS, I would almost def have gone with the EG-32 or EG-64 and paid whatever the extra was. Def something to consider, particularly the 4 x SDD on hardware RAID for servers that need good disk IO.

Just my two cents.

Neil
02-04-2014, 17:33
If it was the Windows Firewall then you could use the WinRescue to disable the Firewall at OVH, see http://help.ovh.co.uk/WinpeSRVFirewall + Plus our OVH Servers have KVM and Serial Connection, so you could connect to the server via one of these methods and removed/fix the rule.

Criot
02-04-2014, 00:53
I have to agree with you in the fact that it's surprising OVH don't offer more than just 2 (identical) drives even on their main range, but, one of the benefits of OVH in comparison to their competitors is the DDoS Protection, which is pretty much essential on any network now days.

Would be nice to see them offer more than 2 identical drives though.

Trapper
02-04-2014, 00:12
I thought long and hard about posting this here, as it could look very much like a direct attack on OVH.

This is not however what this is about. I feel I have been given excellent service, and I am going to shout about it... No, it was not by OVH, it was elsewhere; those who read my posts from time to time will know where, I am not going to mention the name, so don't even ask...

So, I was finishing the setup on a new server, first time using W2012Std for production, a process which I had spent 4 days on. That did include 2 days formatting the 5.3 TB Raid 5 array.

When it comes to hardening the server, I always change the RDC port, just to make it a little harder for the bad guys. So, into the registry I go, and made the change in the normal place. And then did the final re-start.

Before I even tried to re-connect, probably even before the server had actually gone down, I realised I had not opened the new port in the firewall... Doh!

So now I could not connect on either the old (open but not listened to) or the new (listened to, but not opened) ports.

Time to dive into rescue mode..! The short story here (more to follow when I get the time) is that W2012Std (& W8 apparently) do not properly give up control over the partition, unless a proper switch-off is done, this means you cannot then mount the disk from Linux (or anything else for that matter) to correct the mistake. (Well done MS, this is another stoner of an idea.)

So, I contacted support. I explained my boo-boo, and expected a reply in a day or so saying there would be a minimum 30 minute charge for an engineer to login locally... I would have been happy with this, I would have paid, and then sent myself to bed early for being so stupid..!

Instead 11 minutes later, I got a message back asking "which server" of the three I have there. If I wanted to be picky, I could say that I mentioned 2012 in my first message, and that I only have one 2012 server there, but instead I emailed back with the server number.

36 minutes after my reply, I got another message; the appropriate rule had been added to the firewall...!

All of this was after that time of day at which OVH support changes to French only. Like I said this is not intended as an attack on OVH, but it does show that you can get support, even on "value" servers.

There is also the fact that you could not get a server like this particular one from OVH... This one has 4 x 2 TB SATA drives. When I was looking to price this at OVH, I could not find anything close, even though I have an SP 2011 Storage, which has the same disk arrangement. Now I cannot even get that by spending large money on a "Infera-hosty-prise" range-y-ma-bob.

Come on OVH, we know you want to be bargain basement, but this was one of your competitors, on a server costing less than £80 pcm...

~Trap