OVH Community, your new community space.

Faster CPU / More powerful

C0n
11-04-2014, 16:18
Thanks for the information guys The servers i already have with OVH are Intel i was just curious since i never used a AMD machine and they are all the same price range but with different number of cores and threads.

elcct
11-04-2014, 14:11
But those 6 cores on AMD are not really 6 cores, rather 3 cores with beefed up HT. Anyway in benchmarks I remember 8 core AMD was of the speed of 4 core Intel...

Criot
11-04-2014, 13:39
Quote Originally Posted by mike_
We went for 2x 2TB + 2x SSD with hardware RAID.

We're not selling VMs, they're for our own software and services, so we're fortunate enough to know approximately what kind of load each one will put on the host. We haven't run into any I/O issues on the HDDs. In the past I've had I/O issues with Proxmox on HDDs in software RAID.
This was what we're thinking, would Soft RAID on the BD-8T cause more I/O problems than what we'd face using the SP-64. At the minute we have a SP-64 running Minecraft Servers with the Hard RAID 2 x HDD option and we've never had any problems with that, we opted for SSD Disks on the SP-64 for all our other Minecraft Nodes.

This is what's making it a harder choice, VPS could potentially put more pressure on the disks than Minecraft, alternatively, they might even put less pressure on. The BD-8T is tempting because of the additional CPU Power as well, but could the software RAID cause more issues than what it's worth?

mike_
11-04-2014, 13:31
Quote Originally Posted by Criot
Out of interest, what disk setup did you go with for the VMs? I wouldn't think two HDDs would handle the load, unless you're using SAS/SSD Drives? If you are using HDDs, have you had any I/O issues?

Just wondering, as we're looking to start selling VPS services as well as our others, but we're struggling to decide whether 2 HDD Disks in Enterprise SP-64 would be enough, or whether we should go with BD-8T from the Big Data range. Your thoughts?
We went for 2x 2TB + 2x SSD with hardware RAID.

We're not selling VMs, they're for our own software and services, so we're fortunate enough to know approximately what kind of load each one will put on the host. We haven't run into any I/O issues on the HDDs. In the past I've had I/O issues with Proxmox on HDDs in software RAID.

Criot
11-04-2014, 13:24
Quote Originally Posted by mike_
We chose the Host range when it had 16 free IPs and 6 cores as we'd be hosting a lot of VMs on it.

If I was making the decision now, it would be between Enterprise (more RAM = more VMs) and Infrastructure (vRack = easier to expand into a cluster). The Host range wouldn't even be being considered.
Out of interest, what disk setup did you go with for the VMs? I wouldn't think two HDDs would handle the load, unless you're using SAS/SSD Drives? If you are using HDDs, have you had any I/O issues?

Just wondering, as we're looking to start selling VPS services as well as our others, but we're struggling to decide whether 2 HDD Disks in Enterprise SP-64 would be enough, or whether we should go with BD-8T from the Big Data range. Your thoughts?

mike_
11-04-2014, 12:47
We chose the Host range when it had 16 free IPs and 6 cores as we'd be hosting a lot of VMs on it.

If I was making the decision now, it would be between Enterprise (more RAM = more VMs) and Infrastructure (vRack = easier to expand into a cluster). The Host range wouldn't even be being considered.

Criot
11-04-2014, 12:30
I'm personally not a fan of AMD Processors when it comes to server use, I'd go with the Intel any day.

You may want to consider the Enterprise 64GB RAM if you require more RAM for the same price, however, if you want more storage capacity and can settle for 32GB RAM at the same price, you could go with the infrastructure range.

avizeke
11-04-2014, 02:23
Hey dude. On a previous thread i questioned the same thing when it comes to ovh;s perception on performance differences... i mean... AMD vs INTEL in a server enviroment... really. However, Ovh;s amd range for hosting makes sense if your using the system for mass web services where performance doesnt really come first but instead where how many instances you run do.

seems like your only running a few services so i would recommend the SP64
http://www.ovh.co.uk/dedicated_servers/enterprise/

i would only consider probably use that amd server for setting up VM. but thats me.

Consider the SYS. half the price same templates.... and the fail over IP's are only to 5 at the mo but are being extended to more

C0n
10-04-2014, 20:06
I am thinking about renting another server from ovh what is the better choice to make can anyone advise me.

So on the infastructure range :
http://www.ovh.co.uk/dedicated_servers/infra/

4 cores and 8 threads

Hosting range :
http://www.ovh.co.uk/dedicated_servers/hosting/

6 cores 6 threads

What would be better / faster or are they pretty much the same regardless of how many cores / threads they contain.

I am running in a windows enviorment MySQL / PHP from the server with a Nginx web server if anyone was curious.