OVH Community, your new community space.

Servers keep freezing

elcct
02-06-2014, 21:34
Quote Originally Posted by robw
I'm still having some issues as well. Going to open a ticket and see what they say. Do the server(s) you're having problems with have Realtek network cards by any chance?
Yes, Realtek... I've seen a lot of people have problems with these cards but left with unanswered questions. I have noticed that it dies usually when there is more traffic coming in. I am sure there is nothing wrong with the software etc. because exactly the same configuration was running faultlessly on OVH's server for months (over a year uptime if I recall correctly) and emails that "There is a fault blah blah" I can count on the palm of my hand. Conversely on SOS I have a feeling that I am getting these on a weekly basis.

robw
02-06-2014, 12:46
I'm still having some issues as well. Going to open a ticket and see what they say. Do the server(s) you're having problems with have Realtek network cards by any chance?

elcct
01-06-2014, 20:30
Quote Originally Posted by Criot
Is kernel up to date? Still running the stock Kernel?
Yes, latest kernel provided by the Ubuntu 13.10 distribution

Criot
01-06-2014, 20:24
Quote Originally Posted by elcct
Unfortunately freeze happened again... this is ridiculous.
Is kernel up to date? Still running the stock Kernel?

elcct
01-06-2014, 18:24
Unfortunately freeze happened again... this is ridiculous.

elcct
27-05-2014, 20:17
When installing a server at OVH through their system you can set it to run the OS Standard Kernel, I always do that now.
Yes I did that too, but it seems the version at the time I installed had a problem (Ubuntu 14.04), because after running apt-get update and then upgrade it installed newer version of kernel and so far server is stable now.

Criot
27-05-2014, 15:50
I can confirm that the issue has gone away. Not witnessed any freezing since I have replaced the kernels.

I found exactly same issue on my OVH's server, also updating the kernel fixed the problem.
When installing a server at OVH through their system you can set it to run the OS Standard Kernel, I always do that now.

elcct
27-05-2014, 15:17
Quote Originally Posted by robw
Upgrading from 3.10.x to 3.14.x seems to have fixed the issues for us. It was related to Realtek network cards which seems to have been an issue on there a while ago. No idea why OVH are still deploying 3.10 when there are known issues with their hardware.
I can confirm that the issue has gone away. Not witnessed any freezing since I have replaced the kernels.

I found exactly same issue on my OVH's server, also updating the kernel fixed the problem.

robw
27-05-2014, 13:42
Upgrading from 3.10.x to 3.14.x seems to have fixed the issues for us. It was related to Realtek network cards which seems to have been an issue on there a while ago. No idea why OVH are still deploying 3.10 when there are known issues with their hardware.

ctype_alnum
25-05-2014, 12:30
I had a similar issue with machines locking up and rebooting and this was six months+ ago.

robw
24-05-2014, 17:47
Have you had any more problems since replacing the kernels? We've had 3 different servers randomly reboot on us. One of them several times. 2 are running Debian, 1 Ubuntu. The only thing I can think of is to replace the kernels.

elcct
21-05-2014, 14:40
This sounds exactly like the situation I had a few months back, logs didn't show anything at all, replacing the kernel is definitely your best bet before trying to figure out which piece of hardware is faulty (if any).
I have replaced all kernels now... I hope that will make the problem to go away.

Criot
21-05-2014, 12:20
There is nothing in the logs, machine just freezes and is not responding, only reset from panel helped.

It seems like it is happening randomly to all servers, so I guess that's the kernel. I didn't have time to do that yesterday, but I will replace the kernels some time today.
This sounds exactly like the situation I had a few months back, logs didn't show anything at all, replacing the kernel is definitely your best bet before trying to figure out which piece of hardware is faulty (if any).

elcct
21-05-2014, 11:18
Quote Originally Posted by marks
if the tests cannot find anything, I would recommend to send the logs of all the reboots the server has done.

That is, if you cannot find the reason of the reboots,
There is nothing in the logs, machine just freezes and is not responding, only reset from panel helped.

It seems like it is happening randomly to all servers, so I guess that's the kernel. I didn't have time to do that yesterday, but I will replace the kernels some time today.

marks
21-05-2014, 09:50
if the tests cannot find anything, I would recommend to send the logs of all the reboots the server has done.

That is, if you cannot find the reason of the reboots, then we recommend to provide the evidence that the system is rebooting , so our engineers have that proof. After all, a faulty power supply or motherboard, cannot be detected from the software. I can't tell for sure, but I would say the random reboots don't have anything to do with the kernel, whether OVH's or stock, but looks more like a hardware problem.

For example, my workstation has been rebooting overnight (shame on me I haven't fixed it yet). a simple way to show that is:

marc@marks /var/log $ grep "imklog 5.8.11, log source = /proc/kmsg started" syslog*
syslog.1:May 21 09:02:16 marks kernel: imklog 5.8.11, log source = /proc/kmsg started.
syslog.2:May 20 08:52:20 marks kernel: imklog 5.8.11, log source = /proc/kmsg started.
syslog.3:May 19 08:37:44 marks kernel: imklog 5.8.11, log source = /proc/kmsg started.
syslog.5:May 14 09:35:30 marks kernel: imklog 5.8.11, log source = /proc/kmsg started.
syslog.7:May 12 19:06:30 marks kernel: imklog 5.8.11, log source = /proc/kmsg started.
marc@marks /var/log $

that's just an example. search for the logs in your server that shows all the times that the server has been rebooting (in my case, this line was the first shown after reboot on the syslog), and open a ticket or send it to us (in the case of SYS servers, you have to submit the information in the form on the website).

hope it helps.

Criot
20-05-2014, 18:18
Looks like I gonna have fun evening, as it now happens almost every day. Why do they ship broken kernels then?
I agree that SYS would be a whole lot better if you could have the install use stock kernels like main OVH, definitely a feature worth requesting.

Andy
20-05-2014, 17:41
Put it into netboot and run their analysis. If it comes back with a fault they'll fix it if you report it to them.

elcct
20-05-2014, 15:42
Quote Originally Posted by RikT
I would use stock kernels rather than the ovh ones
Looks like I gonna have fun evening, as it now happens almost every day. Why do they ship broken kernels then?

RikT
20-05-2014, 15:18
I would use stock kernels rather than the ovh ones

elcct
20-05-2014, 14:29
You need to be checking your logs really to find the cause. What kernels are you running? We had some issues in the past with the standard OVH kernel crashing our servers, we only use the standard OS kernel now.
Another crashed just now... this time I managed to restart, I hope it will come back up.

That's my kernels:

Linux appxx 3.10.23-xxxx-std-ipv6-64 #1 SMP Tue Mar 18 14:48:24 CET 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Do you think I should change it?

Criot
20-05-2014, 10:16
You need to be checking your logs really to find the cause. What kernels are you running? We had some issues in the past with the standard OVH kernel crashing our servers, we only use the standard OS kernel now.

elcct
19-05-2014, 23:05
Server after approx 30 mins has been restarted by a technician I think. Why can't I do that from panel and why is it freezing without reason?

elcct
19-05-2014, 21:55
"While waiting for the intervention of our teams, you always have the possibility of hardware reboot in the manager."

Why can't I do such thing?

And why out of millions of causes the one that supposedly crashed the server happened exactly at 9pm ?

elcct
19-05-2014, 21:42
Hi,

Noticed 2 out of my 5 servers keep freezing at random times. There is nothing I can do, because once monitoring picks up these are on mercy of a technician, so I can't reboot or anything.

First time see this, just like someone was going through SYS DC and randomly pressing "Freeze" buttons...

Is that a fun factor added to make customers move back to OVH? Because I have not seen such behaviour on OVH servers. Despite running same software.

Cheers,