OVH Community, your new community space.

New Layout for SYS and Monitoring.

happyman
11-06-2014, 10:40
Any ideas on the above ?

Also, I get the following on the monitoring summary page:

Motherboard
dmidecode not installed dmidecode not installed

RAM
(Nothing shown)

All other details seem to be displayed correctly.

Thanks

happyman
04-06-2014, 19:21
If I manually run /usr/local/rtm/bin/rtm (with my firewall disabled) it does update successfully, but the cron job doesn't seem to work. - even with the firewall off.

Is this the correct syntax for the cron ?

*/1 * * * * root /usr/local/rtm/bin/rtm 1 > /dev/null 2> /dev/null

The cron job is running, but it doesn't update. I've tried it with and without the 'root' on the line (using crontab -e) but no luck.

Any ideas ?

Thanks
Daniel

Update: I send the results to a file using > /tmp/testfile.txt (removing the /dev/null entries from the line), and this is the output:

df: `/var/named/chroot/etc/named': Permission denied
df: `/var/named/chroot/etc/named.rfc1912.zones': Permission denied
df: `/var/named/chroot/etc/rndc.key': Permission denied
df: `/var/named/chroot/usr/lib64/bind': Permission denied
df: `/var/named/chroot/etc/named.iscdlv.key': Permission denied
df: `/var/named/chroot/etc/named.root.key': Permission denied
df: `/var/named/chroot/etc/named': Permission denied
df: `/var/named/chroot/etc/named.rfc1912.zones': Permission denied
df: `/var/named/chroot/etc/rndc.key': Permission denied
df: `/var/named/chroot/usr/lib64/bind': Permission denied
df: `/var/named/chroot/etc/named.iscdlv.key': Permission denied
df: `/var/named/chroot/etc/named.root.key': Permission denied

Careimages
29-05-2014, 23:28
The cronjob was setup for me automatically by the default Debian Wheezy install - sorry I don't know if CentOs is different. My understanding is that the 12 is the hour number when to send full info rather than just summary stats. The RTM scripts are all perl so you can check for yourself what they are up to.

EDIT: just looking at the script again - the 12 is minutes past the hour when to do a specific check - probably different on different servers to avoid hammering the RTM server all at once

happyman
29-05-2014, 22:17
I didn't realise I needed to add a cronjob to get this to work - I had assumed it is automatic.

Will it be the same syntax for running on CentOS ? - Do you know what the '12' stands for in the syntax, and whether mine should be the same ?

Thanks in advance,

Daniel

Careimages
29-05-2014, 21:40
Quote Originally Posted by happyman
I've disabled the firewall completely to test, and it still doesn't work - unless I need to do something to activate it afterwards (or if it takes some time to start working) ?
Check that the RTM job is running every minute from CRON? The job (on Debian) running as root is /usr/local/rtm/bin/rtm 12 > /dev/null 2> /dev/null

You can run the job manually to check what's happening (it just sends stats to the designated RTM server, set in /usr/local/rtm/etc ).

Monitoring is fine on my servers and I didn't need to do anything special with the firewall rules (all outgoing traffic is allowed and input traffic is restricted to only those public services that the server is providing).

happyman
29-05-2014, 17:12
I've disabled the firewall completely to test, and it still doesn't work - unless I need to do something to activate it afterwards (or if it takes some time to start working) ?

happyman
29-05-2014, 15:38
Quote Originally Posted by Neil
It is random between 6100-6200, make sure you allow UDP and to the RTM server which normally hangs around your server IP ending in .251.
Does the port number change constantly, or will it always use the same one ?

Once the firewall allows this, should this start functioning straight away, or may it need sometime before it starts to work ?

Thanks
Daniel

Neil
29-05-2014, 12:02
Quote Originally Posted by Criot
Probably the likely cause then, ports are probably not open in our firewalls.

What are the ports that need to be open?
It is random between 6100-6200, make sure you allow UDP and to the RTM server which normally hangs around your server IP ending in .251.

Criot
29-05-2014, 11:35
Probably the likely cause then, ports are probably not open in our firewalls.

What are the ports that need to be open?

happyman
29-05-2014, 10:14
Yes the RTM script should be installed and running, make sure it is and you have not got a firewall blocking the script sending data.
Please can you confirm how to check it is running, and what ports need to be open on the Firewall.

Thanks

Neil
29-05-2014, 10:03
Neil - Is this supposed to work with CentOS ??
Yes the RTM script should be installed and running, make sure it is and you have not got a firewall blocking the script sending data.

happyman
28-05-2014, 21:59
Neil - Is this supposed to work with CentOS ??

elcct
28-05-2014, 19:55
It works for me on Ubuntu 13.10. Indeed it is a nice feature, but shame they didn't touch more important ones first. Like server labels...

Criot
28-05-2014, 12:49
Quote Originally Posted by Criot
Which server model do you have and what Datacentre? I wonder if it's only yet available in certain datacentres/on specific models.
SYS-E32-3 running CloudLinux (originally CentOS), GRA1 - Definitely not something just limited to specific models/DCs then.

happyman
28-05-2014, 12:19
Hi

Most likely you have an OS where the RTM cannot run on, for example VMware or Windows.
I'm running CentOS.

Neil
28-05-2014, 12:05
Hi

Most likely you have an OS where the RTM cannot run on, for example VMware or Windows.

happyman
28-05-2014, 07:26
I have the SYS-E32-1 at RBX5. - How about you ?

Criot
27-05-2014, 22:32
My SYS server is also showing as 'RTM is not available on this server'.
Which server model do you have and what Datacentre? I wonder if it's only yet available in certain datacentres/on specific models.

happyman
27-05-2014, 22:11
My SYS server is also showing as 'RTM is not available on this server'.

Criot
27-05-2014, 20:54
I quite like the new look, it's been done on Kimsufi Control Panel too. My SYS server is showing 'RTM is not available on this server'

skegyuk
27-05-2014, 20:36
Hi,

It seems SYS have given us some extra reporting! From first looks I am impressed!

Would be even better if we could set thresholds and email alerts for load and network averages.

Danny