We are in the process of migrating this forum. A new space will be available soon. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Suggestion: customer problem/resolution database

Sh4nn0w
10-03-2008, 16:50
I run Gentoo at home; good couple of places to go when stuck:

Gentoo Wiki

People on Gentoo forums are usually pretty helpful as well.

arewenotmen
10-03-2008, 15:41
I know - but perhaps a way of organising this to be easier to find info - I don't know, maybe a public wiki with sections on troubleshooting the different distros.

Of course you have to be careful that this information is either correct, or clearly not the responsibility of OVH, but it could be useful. Even a separation of the forums for this purpose would be good.

fozl
10-03-2008, 12:05
That's what the forum is also for.

arewenotmen
10-03-2008, 11:41
I've something of an idea and I don't know if you can make it work.

I run Gentoo. Because I'm new to this & a bit of an *****, I did a load of emerges and updated various things. I ignored the warnings about updating config files and so when I next rebooted, the net.lo service wouldn't start. This meant 12 hours of downtime - I fixed it this morning with the rescue boot and a bit of my own Linux knowledge.

I actually found the solution (run etc-update) on the French OVH forum.

Anyway, I wonder if it would be possible to set up a sort of help-yourself system where customers like me can describe symptoms/faults and then how they fixed them. This might be more useful than other methods like third party tech forums, because some of this stuff is a little specific to OVH configurations.