OVH Community, your new community space.

DNS server

bambinou
04-07-2014, 14:30
Hi Neil,

Well, I am lost and I feel totally left on my own on this as the support cannot really help hands on....
One of the tech guy told me that my DNS server called "named" needed to have this line in the config file:
allow-transfer {213.251.188.141;};

I have logged as SSH but what do I do next? Which Linux commands I need to put in to open and edit this file please? Anyone knows?
I normally work on windows and not Linux, this is why I struggle a bit....

Thank you,

Ben

Neil
04-07-2014, 09:48
Quote Originally Posted by bambinou
Hi Neil,

Thank you for the reply.

Yes this is what I did at my registrar but it does not work, the registrar keep showing "name server failed".

I added as name server1 : vps####.ovh.net
and name server 2: sdns2.ovh.net

Strange....I have called your support and they have told me to do the exact same thing but still nothing. I have ben for 2 days on this without an answer.
My registrar is Moniker and the problem is not from their side.

Thank you,

Ben
Hi Ben

Perhaps they do not like the vps####.ovh.net - Have you tried putting a domain name to your servers IP and using that as the first dns server?

bambinou
03-07-2014, 18:39
Hi Neil,

Thank you for the reply.

Yes this is what I did at my registrar but it does not work, the registrar keep showing "name server failed".

I added as name server1 : vps####.ovh.net
and name server 2: sdns2.ovh.net

Strange....I have called your support and they have told me to do the exact same thing but still nothing. I have ben for 2 days on this without an answer.
My registrar is Moniker and the problem is not from their side.

Thank you,

Ben

Neil
03-07-2014, 10:09
Hi

So if you have a DNS Server running on your VPS then your DNS would be:

vps####.ovh.net
sdns2.ovh.net - You add your domain name to the secondary dns server in the web control panel.

bambinou
02-07-2014, 17:16
Sorry could you please be a bit more precise as I am having the exact same problem unfortunately....

In my OVH panel I see this:
Reverse DNS
52.ip-xxxx-xx-167.eu

and an ip:
IPv4
92.xxx.xxx.52

What shall I do now? Create a A record pointing to the ip or reverse DNS? please?

Thank you,

Ben

roadrunner
16-06-2014, 23:55
Derp. All I had to do was add an A record at the domain registrar.

roadrunner
16-06-2014, 20:36
Hey there,
I'm confused about the whole DNS right now. My previous host was Media Temple and they provided two name servers and an IP address that I had to put in the domain registrar (godaddy) for it to work. It seems like OVH is doing it differently though.

From the posts that I've read it says that I need to add these two information to my domain registrar name servers fields.
n1.example.com (198.xxx.xxx.xxx) - My server IP
sdns1.ovh.ca

I'm guessing from there I need to create a DNS server on my VPS. (http://www.unixmen.com/setup-dns-ser...bian-7-wheezy/)

Is that right? Am I making this more complicated than it actually is? Are there any other ways of doing this?

Thank youu