OVH Community, your new community space.

personal nameservers - revisited

Cornishman33
14-07-2014, 15:42
Quote Originally Posted by bambinou
Hi Cornishman,

I wonder if you could hellp me on this one please. I have also purchased a VPS Cloud 2, my domain name is at a registrar in the united state.
The OVH support keep telling me to change the name server 1 and 2 to :
vps####.ovh.net
sdns2.ovh.net

But the propagation do not happen(4 days now).
One of their support tech told me that the for DNS to work I had to edit the dns server config file like this:

http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.ph...-the-DNS-Named

Any idea which command I should use for that please? I know how to connect via SSH, no problem but how to open and edit a file with Linux commands please? I am a bit with the VIM and other commands, I do not know which is correct.

Thank you,

Ben
Ben, I really am not the one to ask. All I can tell you is that when I tried using the OVH nameservers the propogation was taking six or seven days, especially for the European servers. When I defined my own nameservers (using just the one IP issued to me with the VPS) propogation took minutes for all of my websites.

bambinou
05-07-2014, 10:31
Hi Cornishman,

I wonder if you could hellp me on this one please. I have also purchased a VPS Cloud 2, my domain name is at a registrar in the united state.
The OVH support keep telling me to change the name server 1 and 2 to :
vps####.ovh.net
sdns2.ovh.net

But the propagation do not happen(4 days now).
One of their support tech told me that the for DNS to work I had to edit the dns server config file like this:

http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.ph...-the-DNS-Named

Any idea which command I should use for that please? I know how to connect via SSH, no problem but how to open and edit a file with Linux commands please? I am a bit with the VIM and other commands, I do not know which is correct.

Thank you,

Ben

Cornishman33
05-07-2014, 07:09
Thanks for the replies. I have done away with the second IP, and am using OVH DNS.

cartwright118
21-06-2014, 17:32
Quote Originally Posted by Cornishman33
Hi.
I have purchased a Cloud VPS and will be purchasing extra IP's, my question is will I be able to use my two VPS IP's for my personal nameservers (ns1 & ns2), or do I still need to use the OVH secodary IP for the second one?
If you are only planning on having the 1 server, with 1 nameserver...having 2 ip's is virtually pointless. They are there for redundancy and therefore 2 servers/2 nameservers, 1 ip address each. Unless you aren't fussed about redundancy and admittedly some panels/software won't let you install unless you do have 2 ip addresses, in which case you end up routing both ip addresses to the same server anyway. Check your panel/software first as it may save you the IP address cost each month if it doesn't REQUIRE you to HAVE 2 ip addresses. You could just use 1 ip address.

Alternatively do what 'ctype_alnum' said and use external nameservers.

Christian

ctype_alnum
21-06-2014, 10:33
You can host your own DNS yeah and no you don't have to use OVH as your secondary. Depending on what you're running it might be best to let ovh handle your dns records and you manage the hosting etc. Personally I use AWS Route 53 but thats because I want to use the features they provide and then manage my hosting elsewhere.

Cornishman33
20-06-2014, 22:58
Hi.
I have purchased a Cloud VPS and will be purchasing extra IP's, my question is will I be able to use my two VPS IP's for my personal nameservers (ns1 & ns2), or do I still need to use the OVH secodary IP for the second one?