OVH Community, your new community space.

HDD's with different sector sizes make RAID1 impossible!

Neil
03-07-2014, 16:53
Quote Originally Posted by Nuend0
Thanks for helping with this Neil

1 HD Swapped and RAID1 setup now working as it should - hot swapped as well so no downtime
(not that I've actually started using it for anything yet).
No problem, pleased it is all sorted

Nuend0
03-07-2014, 14:12
Thanks for helping with this Neil

1 HD Swapped and RAID1 setup now working as it should - hot swapped as well so no downtime
(not that I've actually started using it for anything yet).

Nuend0
02-07-2014, 11:47
Hi Neil

I sent in an email last night but will send in another with screenshots very soon.

**Edit**

OK it seems my tiredness was playing tricks with my eyes last night, as they do both have 512 sector size, it was the default cluster size that was different (only created a partition using defaults to run tests and didn't think about that), so I apologise for jumping to conclusions.

This doesn't explain why Windows says "All disks holding extents for a given volume must have the same sector size, and the sector size must be valid", whenever I try to create a RAID1 mirror of the system partition, and why WinRescue mode says they're corrupt when trying the same, or why after re-installation, not once there has been RAID1 setup on my server (not even when using the default template - 2nd disk shows as a Raw partition).

Might as well run with the non raid partition for the system, setup a partition on the other disk to temp store backup images, and sync this up with 1 of my kimsufi's (not paying for extra FTP backup when my cheap as chips kimsufi still has 450GB empty), with periodic downloads to home, which after reading about the calamities regarding HDD replacement after failure on this forum, might be a better option over RAID1 anyway.

I'll email in anyway as an old thread from 2010 has marks saying if the RAID1 isn't there after installation, to email in for further investigation, as I would still like the faint hope that the data could be rebuilt if one of the drives fails.

Neil
02-07-2014, 10:28
Hi

Best thing to do is to send us an email via the soyoustart website showing the sectors are different sizes so we can get this sorted.

Nuend0
01-07-2014, 23:38
*********************** EDIT *************************
Seems my fatigue caused wrong interpretation of results I was getting - HDD's do have same sector sizes but RAID1 of Windows system partition still a problem

Not posted anything for a loooooonnnngggg time but feel this needs documented, if only to help anyone else that comes across this.

After downscaling to kimsufi's for a few years, my requirements are again more than they can cope with, and since the new kimsufi range has been "crippled" (due to available options being sacrificed), I ordered an SYS-IP1, which I understand is low down the range, but still massive overkill for my needs.

I've been fighting with this, in my opinion, very poor management interface (in comparison to OVH v3 manager anyway), and couldn't work out why there were so many failed Windows installations, resulting in many interventions, and partitioning of the drives nothing like I'd requested in the manager.

Decided to install with a small system partition and try sorting everything out myself, but disk management threw up all "disks holding extents for a given volume must have the same sector size" when trying to create a raid1 mirror, and win rescue mode saying the disks are corrupt when I tried diskpart from the command line there.

Looked into this a bit more and found that I'd been provisioned with 1 x WD HDD using 512 byte sectors, and 1 x Hitachi HDD using 4096 byte sectors, making raid1 mirrors for Windows impossible, which is what I believe has been causing the failed installations requiring manual intervention, as not once have the installs resulted in a mirrored partition, even when requested to be in the manager.

Surely this should be something verified with the drives before they're installed in the same server advertised with RAID1 as a feature?