OVH Community, your new community space.

Windows / SQL Licences

heise
05-07-2014, 17:45
But if you install Windows you can find the key with programs like Magical Jelly Bean. Further if you installed Windows and booted to rescue mode, you can make a copy of your windows installation, install "manually" Promox and use your Windows copy in a VM. OVH will believe that you still have it installed on your server, while in reality is running virtualized. This assuming Razakel is right

Windows licence you're only permitted to run it on one machine, either physical or virtual

Razakel
05-07-2014, 17:05
If you buy a Windows licence you're only permitted to run it on one machine, either physical or virtual - unless it's the datacenter edition, which licenses you to run unlimited virtual machines on a single physical machine.

However, I highly doubt OVH will disclose the licence key if you order through the manager. This basically means you'll have to buy a retail copy or find a company willing to rent you the number of licences you need.

LinuxGam
05-07-2014, 08:29
Hi,

This is not something I need right now as I use Linux/MySQL in my Proxmox Guests, however I might be taking on a project for a company where I will need Windows/SQL licenses in guests.

I notice as soon as I select failover IP's that option is blanked out in the license manager. Would I just be able to assign them to the server IP and I will get a KEY I can use on the guests or does it not work like that? Is it just a case of having to buy the full box version licenses if I want to manage things that way?

Thanks