OVH Community, your new community space.

Uber confusion over DNS settings

cprompt
05-07-2014, 15:30
Where is your DNS on your domain managed at the moment?
What name servers are currently being used for your old server?
There are several options to managing your DNS depending on your set-up and who your domain is registered with.
The bottom line is at the very least you need the A record for your domain to be set to the main IP address on your new server. This can be accomplished in a number of ways so answering the questions above will give us a steer.

SteHughes90
05-07-2014, 11:02
Quote Originally Posted by ctype_alnum
It sounds like you have done a fair amount so far. What issue(s) are you experiencing?
I am just looking confirm what the DNS settings should be and how exactly I set this domain up on a dedicated server.

Thanks

ctype_alnum
05-07-2014, 10:45
It sounds like you have done a fair amount so far. What issue(s) are you experiencing?

SteHughes90
05-07-2014, 10:41
Hi all,

We recently got a beast of a dedicated server.

We have installed CentOS, Apache, PHP5, MySQL, usual stuff...

It worked great, files and databases have been moved over from our old server and we are ready to make the final move and change the DNS settings and move over...

However, I find the OVH guides for this stuff to be terrible. One of them says one thing, another says another. I've never ran a dedicated server or even set one up and I am sat here ready to chew the veins out of my wrist because something so simple should not be so hard.

Can someone please show a noob how this is done on a dedicated server, it would be highly appreciated.

I did ask the OVH support and all I got back was rubbish.

thanks