OVH Community, your new community space.

How important is ECC memory?

Kode
10-07-2014, 16:27
I'm aware of the Essential servers, however, they have crappy old CPUs in them, the only essential SYS servers that have decent CPUs don't have ECC memory nor the 16 ips included with a 1 off setup fee, not to mention none of the essential servers have SSDs

Dani
10-07-2014, 16:19
Quote Originally Posted by Kode
Thanks Danny, the OVH servers with ECC are probably a bit out of my range, for the price of the cheapest one (69.99 + 4.25 for SSDs + 20% = ~ £90/mo) I could get 2 x SYS SSD-2 and use cloudflare round robin DNS which would most likely get better performance, but again, it comes down to how important is ECC memory.

The API serves up a JSON feed such as http://webservice.fanart.tv/v3/movie...a7edaa78675ac2 so what is the worst case scenario without ECC memory?
Hi

There is also ECC RAM for SYS servers at:

http://www.soyoustart.com/en/essential-servers.xml

However the one week server rental doesn't apply for SYS servers.

Danny

Kode
10-07-2014, 15:43
The API server runs nginx, APC is configured and mysql query results are cached in memcache, in v3 of the API things are further optimised and the JSON itself is stored in memcached and it checks if there is a memcached version to serve before doing anything else (apart from checking if the API key is valid, which is also stored in memcache).

Razakel
10-07-2014, 15:34
Unrelated, but make sure you're running an efficient webserver (i.e., not Apache) and an opcode cache.

Kode
10-07-2014, 15:04
Thanks Danny, the OVH servers with ECC are probably a bit out of my range, for the price of the cheapest one (69.99 + 4.25 for SSDs + 20% = ~ £90/mo) I could get 2 x SYS SSD-2 and use cloudflare round robin DNS which would most likely get better performance, but again, it comes down to how important is ECC memory.

The API serves up a JSON feed such as http://webservice.fanart.tv/v3/movie...a7edaa78675ac2 so what is the worst case scenario without ECC memory?

Dani
10-07-2014, 11:15
Hi

For OVH servers they have ECC ram. In additon to this, we have one week server rentals where by it will allow you to test your API at an fraction of the cost. You can find more information at:

http://www.ovh.co.uk/dedicated_serve...eek-rental.xml

If your happy with the setup you built in the week, you have the option to keep the server as well.

Danny

Kode
09-07-2014, 18:10
Thanks for your reply, it didn't really answer my question though

As it happens that's basically what I'm doing at the moment, I have a backup server and I'm using nginx to load balance, but I don't think the way I have it set up is ideal, I'm running proxmox but all the containers are 32bit and at the moment each API VPS has a slave MySQL database from the main server which makes it difficult to deploy new ones as I have to create a new slave MySQL each time.

What I want to do is get a new server with 32GB RAM and an SSD, then create

VPS1
MySQL only server
8GB RAM
20GB HD

VPS2
16GB RAM
Connects to VPS1 MySQL server
Memcached

VPS3
2GB Ram
Used for phpbb

The current set up is a bit convoluted, and the current API isn't great either, the new version does a much better job of caching but it isn't finished yet, I want to get a new server to do some testing first before moving everything across though.

ctype_alnum
09-07-2014, 17:20
Deploy a cluster of API servers to handle the load and route it through a load balancer.

Kode
09-07-2014, 16:56
My API server is currently struggling under the load so I am looking to upgrade the server, but none of the 3 usual suspects (online, hetzner, ovh) have a perfect server, OVH(SYS) have setup fees, small SSDs and non-ecc memory, online are more expensive for an SSD server but have ECC memory and no setup fees, hetzner currently have no setup fees and if I went with the EX40-SSD have a bigger SSD but again, non-ECC memory.

My current API server is with online but on the cheaper non-SSD one, so it's a 1230v2 with 16GB ecc memory and 1TB HHD.

The API is currently getting around 160million hits a month and by about 3 weeks from now that will be up to about 220million.

The API (should) cache most of the requests in memory.

Any thoughts?