OVH Community, your new community space.

Hostname, Reverse DNS or PTR?

Cornishman33
14-07-2014, 17:04
Quote Originally Posted by marks
the fact that you use ns1.fred.com as your DNS server for fred.com has got nothing to do with the reverse. I trust you you have setup the glue records for that properly, wherever the domain name is registered on.
Many thanks for that, though I did set up this part of it a couple of weeks ago, and it works fine.

Once your domain/DNS servers work perfectly, you setup an A record "server.fred.com" to resolve to the IP of the VPS, and afterwards (and giving some time for the propagation), you change the reverse DNS on the OVH manager.

Hope it's ok with this.
This was the part I was unsure of, many thanks for the advice.

marks
14-07-2014, 15:35
the fact that you use ns1.fred.com as your DNS server for fred.com has got nothing to do with the reverse. I trust you you have setup the glue records for that properly, wherever the domain name is registered on.

Once your domain/DNS servers work perfectly, you setup an A record "server.fred.com" to resolve to the IP of the VPS, and afterwards (and giving some time for the propagation), you change the reverse DNS on the OVH manager.

Hope it's ok with this.

Cornishman33
14-07-2014, 15:31
Quote Originally Posted by Razakel
DNS for the IP range is delegated to OVH, not you. This means you need to set the reverse DNS in the manager.
Ok then, so would it be safe or useful if I was to do the following:
Change the VPS hostname to "server.fred.com"
Have my nameservers as "ns1 & ns2.fred.com" (which they are already)
and in the manager set the reverse DNS to "fred.com"?

Razakel
14-07-2014, 14:56
DNS for the IP range is delegated to OVH, not you. This means you need to set the reverse DNS in the manager.

Cornishman33
14-07-2014, 14:16
I am looking to change my VPS Hostname.
I realise I need to use a FQDN, which I have, I'll call it "fred.com" for convenience.
"fred.com" is also the FQDN I use for my nameservers, is this safe to do?

Secondly, I have seen written that I should be using Reverse DNS, could I use "fred.com"? or should adding a PTR record to "fred.com" DNS suffice?