OVH Community, your new community space.

Hardware Raid 5 Help

rv9ufz
10-09-2014, 14:42
chostwales, could you please check whether the FITRIM ioctl works through hwraid 5?

Criot
09-09-2014, 17:40
Quote Originally Posted by nebulos
hey..

I have a similar question, not going to start a new thread right now..

I have the E3-SSD-4 server from SYS

It has 3 SSDs.. I'd like it to be hot-swapable in raid 5

so.. How do I setup raid 5 and how do I get this megaraid cache working?

I believe it's raid 1 by default.. I'd like it to be raid 5..
Hot Swappable isn't something you have a choice about, I believe that's something that only comes with the OVH 'HG' servers, which are no where near the prices of SYS.

You should be able to set the RAID Level by selecting 'Custom Partitioning'

nebulos
09-09-2014, 08:52
hey..

I have a similar question, not going to start a new thread right now..

I have the E3-SSD-4 server from SYS

It has 3 SSDs.. I'd like it to be hot-swapable in raid 5

so.. How do I setup raid 5 and how do I get this megaraid cache working?

I believe it's raid 1 by default.. I'd like it to be raid 5..

chostwales
09-08-2014, 12:03
Hi All, I will settle this once and for all.

My physical server was delivered automatically in Hardware Raid 5 Configuration.

If the server is physical Hardware Raid, then you can select the raid configuration using the KVM to boot into the BIOS and get it to work.

If the server is Software Raid, then when you reinstall the OS and partition you get the option there to select raid.

I hope this settles it

All the best,

Criot
04-08-2014, 15:58
I believe you can select the RAID Level when installing if you select to setup Custom Partitioning, can't confirm whether RAID 5 is available through that though as I've only ever gone with RAID 1.

chostwales
04-08-2014, 15:30
Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Jack
All servers at OVH (except kimsufis) come with atleast RAID1. This is default setup by OVH so all servers have redundant data, although the customer 'CAN' go into the rescue mode and modify the RAID config to RAID0 ('AFTER' the server has been delivered with the default RAID config)

The server you are talking about comes with RAID5 as default so you can just go ahead and order it.
Just ordered it now and we will see. I was advised by OVH staff that it actually comes as Raid 1 delivered and it would be my job to convert it to Raid 5 (hence my question). But we shall see.

Kind Regards,

Mr. Jack
02-08-2014, 11:07
All servers at OVH (except kimsufis) come with atleast RAID1. This is default setup by OVH so all servers have redundant data, although the customer 'CAN' go into the rescue mode and modify the RAID config to RAID0 ('AFTER' the server has been delivered with the default RAID config)

The server you are talking about comes with RAID5 as default so you can just go ahead and order it.

chostwales
01-08-2014, 10:57
Hi All,

I am looking at purchasing the SP64 2014 server with the following add-on: HardRAID+ LSI 9271-4i CacheVault 1 GB 3 x 600 GB SAS 15K + CacheCade 80 GB SSD.

My ambition is to setup the 3 x 600 in a Raid 5 configuration.

I did speak to OVH help about this, but were unable to help due to the servers being unmanaged (fair enough on that part). However it would be great if someone could write a quick tutorial or point me in the direction where there is already one to help not only me, but other people. There is also (as far as I can see) nothing in the guides either about this.

I'd like some feedback from people who have already done this.

Thanks,