OVH Community, your new community space.

OVH's RIPE Block Takeover Hidden Policy

Criot
04-08-2014, 11:16
Quote Originally Posted by mike_
I haven't heard of OVH actually taking back the block but they do charge "parking" fees for unused IPs. As others have said, this isn't an unfair policy given the shortage of IPv4s. In your example, the customer could have bought 16, and when they were needed bough three further blocks of 16.

Also the 65,000 IPs you mention is equivalent to one for every three servers OVH hosts. It's a tiny amount and that's why they don't want to let people hog large blocks.
This sounds more reasonable, a fee for unused IPs rather than taking them away completely would certainly be a better way to go about it.

mike_
04-08-2014, 07:38
Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Jack

According to this policy, do you mean that if a customer has a 64 IP Block from you and is unable to use 51 IP's in the first month,
I haven't heard of OVH actually taking back the block but they do charge "parking" fees for unused IPs. As others have said, this isn't an unfair policy given the shortage of IPv4s. In your example, the customer could have bought 16, and when they were needed bough three further blocks of 16.

Also the 65,000 IPs you mention is equivalent to one for every three servers OVH hosts. It's a tiny amount and that's why they don't want to let people hog large blocks.

Criot
02-08-2014, 13:38
Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Jack
IPv4 shortage? OVH just purchased another /16 block from QSC which means 65,000+ IPv4.

Regardless of that. Service providers that are new will not be able to fulfil the IPv4 block in a month. It's eventual which means it takes time.

Not sure why you're in favour of this, but this policy ought to be removed.
And that 65,000 is nothing in comparison to the amount of people using the internet today, if OVH didn't have this policy each OVH server could have 256 IPs and only use one of them.

A simple solution is to buy IPs as and when you need them.

Mr. Jack
02-08-2014, 11:56
Quote Originally Posted by Criot
The solution is simple, don't buy what you don't need. There's IPv4 shortage and I think this is a fair policy considering, otherwise people would just buy as many FO IPs as possible 'just in case' and never use them.
IPv4 shortage? OVH just purchased another /16 block from QSC which means 65,000+ IPv4.

Regardless of that. Service providers that are new will not be able to fulfil the IPv4 block in a month. It's eventual which means it takes time.

Not sure why you're in favour of this, but this policy ought to be removed.

Criot
02-08-2014, 11:33
The solution is simple, don't buy what you don't need. There's IPv4 shortage and I think this is a fair policy considering, otherwise people would just buy as many FO IPs as possible 'just in case' and never use them.

Mr. Jack
02-08-2014, 11:03
I have just read the following in the TOS PDF for the RIPE Blocks:

Code:
As part of a block of IP addresses, the Customer agrees to use these resources up to 80% in 
a period of one month from the date of grant. Otherwise, OVH reserves the right to recover
all assigned resources.
According to this policy, do you mean that if a customer has a 64 IP Block from you and is unable to use 51 IP's in the first month, you will takeover his block next month and make his 128 EUR spent on the 64 IPv4 block go down the drain ? This is weird and unprofessional.

It is obvious that only service providers are going to purchase these allocations, and with this policy in effect, you are making it impossible for them to grow.

I need someone here to shed a little light on this while I go around and re-read all the OVH TOS.