OVH Community, your new community space.

Own Windows product Key

Abducted
29-09-2008, 17:13
I was able to get my copy of windows 2003 web edition installed through vKVM and it ran 'flawlessly' in vKVM mode too. But when i switched back to HD mode it never came back up. Maybe it's because the HD is accessed is another way in vKVM mode so during installation the right driver isn't installed to access the HD in real boot mode.
So right now i installed that copy of windows 2003 web edition on a home system with intel CPU and chipset and i'm going to try and clone that installation to the HD in my server. Hopefully that will work.
OVH recently got (real) KVM boxes which should soon be available for rent for 9,99 a week. With those it should be really easy to setup windows using your own ISO/Key. (if they will provide the .ISO service like they do with vKVM) But i guess right now they are still testing those boxes and all we can use right now is vKVM.

craigy2391
29-09-2008, 16:33
lol! True... but doesn't that stand for all tech people? "We will be there in a minute to fix your pc" *Several Hours later*

anyway, its not good in my opinion... because this could be one of the things that stop people from moving to ovh... like if a company has their own linux distro, or a customised version or something.

hyster
29-09-2008, 16:32
Quote Originally Posted by JALZOO
We were suuposed to be able to install our own operating systems from iso apparently from what oles said "Next week" Witch was last week.. Very annoying...
Ahh but remember this is an OVH week, very different to the 7 day week the rest of us use lol !!!!

JALZOO
29-09-2008, 16:31
We were suuposed to be able to install our own operating systems from iso apparently from what oles said "Next week" Witch was last week.. Very annoying...

Fingures croseed we will be able to install any OS from ISO and use our own keys this week!.

craigy2391
29-09-2008, 16:25
I really need windows to run my server, not because of asp.net, its the only OS have server knowledge in. Also, I don't have time to learn linux.

Yeah, come on OVH... you said it was coming, its here (apparently), now show us how to use it...

hyster
29-09-2008, 16:19
Quote Originally Posted by craigy2391
Hello,

I emailed support today, about being able to use my own windows serial key, they said it was possible, but the don't provide any support on how to do it.

I was wondering if anybody could give me some pointers?

Below is the email

Regards,
Craigy
Not the most helpfull reply is it. I hope they will offer you more help than that.

Come on OVH I am sure you can have a small tutorial for this operation or do you want to keep charging £30+VAT a month instead !!

Andy.
29-09-2008, 16:18
Can you not just change it after a regular install by following these instructions?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328874

craigy2391
29-09-2008, 16:16
Hello,

I emailed support today, about being able to use my own windows serial key, they said it was possible, but the don't provide any support on how to do it.

I was wondering if anybody could give me some pointers?

Below is the email
It is possible too use your own Windows license only by installing the server in vkvm mode:

Please bear in mind that this operation is not recommended if you do not know precisely how to do it. A customer before attempting this solution should be sure and confident that he will be able to succeed, as in fact I can confirm that this is not a kind of option that anyone would be able to make use of, as it is not simple.
Regards,
Craigy