OVH Community, your new community space.

Simple failover IP question.

ianh
14-09-2014, 00:28
I can understand an admin fee for setting this up, but when i chose the options to add these IPs, i was told this would be the monthly charge, not a one off charge.

Criot
13-09-2014, 12:52
Quote Originally Posted by ianh
I have tried to adding a block of 8 IPs out of the 16 Free IPs that I was recently notified about by email. When trying to add them, I was informed that I would be charged 16.32 a month for them. How do I get them for free ?
They're not 'free' as such, you would only be charged that for the first month (as the setup fee sort of), the renewal of the first 16 IPs are free.

ianh
13-09-2014, 01:23
I have tried to adding a block of 8 IPs out of the 16 Free IPs that I was recently notified about by email. When trying to add them, I was informed that I would be charged 16.32 a month for them. How do I get them for free ?

ozgurerdogan
05-09-2014, 16:17
I know how CIDR notations works. But OVHs system is bit different I guess. Thats why I asked.

crowarth
05-09-2014, 16:03
http://www.ripe.net/images/cidr_working42.jpg

should explain how CIDR notations work. Although in OVH's case, they do it a bit differently as all IP's in the block are useable (I think)

ozgurerdogan
05-09-2014, 15:15
Thank you now I got it. Is OVH's ip system also has same system. I mean all ips are failover by ovh server too.

Also 4 x 4 IP blocks has total of 16 usable ips?

Dani
05-09-2014, 14:40
Hi

For SYS servers you have 16 IP for free. The 16 IP can consist of smaller of blocks such as 4 x 4 IP blocks to make your 16 free IP.

All SYS IP is an failover, this means you can move the IP between other SYS servers.

If you have a block of 16 IP already, then its not possible to split the IP block, if you did really want the 16 IP to consist of 4 x 4 IP blocks, then you would remove your current 16 IP and re-order the 4 x 4 IP block, however the setup fee would apply as its a different IP.

Danny

ozgurerdogan
05-09-2014, 13:06
I have one block of /28 ip that is free of charge. But I noted that I can forward WHOLE block as failover ip.

So my question is, if I had smaller block like /30 (4ips), would I had been able to forward individual block to different sys server?

And will total of 4 block /30 ips - total usable 16 would be still free of charge?

Last question, if all above has answer is yes, can I make my block /28 converted to /30 block so I can have more flexible failover ip usage? Is there a disadvantage of that?

Thanks in advance.