OVH Community, your new community space.

Virtualization Problem

dezaxatul
11-09-2014, 09:20
Well, I've installed ESXi through the automated installer available in SyS Control Panel.

I have no idea what OS is running on the main node. I thought ESXi is an OS itself. And I think it uses a Linux kernel but I don't know if this is modified by OVH.

Also, I have no idea how I could manually install ESXi without having physical access to the server.

Criot
10-09-2014, 08:09
What operating system are you running on the main node?

Unlikely SWAP, unless you're utilizing all of your nodes RAM but that's unlikely. I would definitely start with the Kernel, OVH ones are notorious for causing these kind of issues.

dezaxatul
10-09-2014, 00:23
Thank you very much for your advice!

I'm sorry, I'm kind of.. new to this and I have no idea how to do it or where to start.
I suppose I need to install some Linux distribution and then... I'm lost.

I know it's probably a lot to explain, but could you please point me in the right direction to do some research about this?
I'm a fast learner and I will figure it out if only I'd knew what to look for.

Thank you very much!

Later Edit:
Could this have anything to do with the scratch (swap) partition? Is 512MB too low? (that has the default value)

Criot
09-09-2014, 23:49
Quote Originally Posted by dezaxatul
I'm using OVH Kernel. I've installed ESXI using the installer provided by SyS (OVH).
Switch to the distro standard kernel, several people (including myself) have had issues with OVH Kernels causing the servers to crash for no apparent reason, changing to the distro kernel resolved it.

I'm not saying that's definitely the cause, but very likely and definitely worth trying it.

dezaxatul
09-09-2014, 23:11
I'm using OVH Kernel. I've installed ESXI using the installer provided by SyS (OVH).

Criot
09-09-2014, 23:02
What kernel are you running on the main node operating system?

OVH Kernel or the Distros Standard Kernel?

dezaxatul
09-09-2014, 22:20
I know that I should probably ask this on VMware forums but I figured I might get a more accurate answer here.

I just got an E3-SSD-3 dedi on which I'm running VMware ESXI and several Win2008R2 virtual machines.
I did oversubscribe CPU a little bit but RAM is locked and I've disabled page file on each and every single one of them.
The thing is.. once or twice per day, every VM crashes (BSOD).

Could this be due to CPU overcommitment?
Or it's more likely an issue related to the guest OS?

I have no clue where to start troubleshooting this..