OVH Community, your new community space.

Web hosting vs. VPS

MediocreFred
15-09-2014, 01:33
Thanks Razakel! I've used webmin in the past, but, hadn't heard of ispconfig.

If I go the web hosting route (I can't see anything wrong with trying it for a few months and upgrading to a vps if I really need the additional flexibility), can I do ALL three things that Rackspace suggests doing - http://www.rackspace.com/knowledge_c...with-rackspace ?

Thanks,
MediocreFred.

Razakel
15-09-2014, 01:03
From what you've said, you're probably best off with web hosting.

Quote Originally Posted by MediocreFred
If I do go with a VPS, is there still a CPanel-like interface that I can use to install Wordpress/Drupal and create MySQL databases?
You would need to install a control panel yourself. ISPConfig and Webmin are popular free ones.

MediocreFred
14-09-2014, 21:04
Hello,

I'd really appreciate some help with deciding whether to get a VPS or a web hosting package at OVH based on these needs:

1. My domain is registered at GoDaddy and I'll be keeping it there.

2. The domain is hosted at eleven2.com with a couple of websites and I want to move those over to OVH

3. Email is hosted at RackSpace; I've edited the MX records on eleven2 to point to Rackspace. After moving the domain to OVH, I'll need to be able to set everything that RackSpace suggests.

4. The CPanel that I have access to on my web hosting account at eleven2 gives me 1-click installs of Wordpress, Drupal, etc, FTP and SSH access, ability to create MySQL databases, etc. I would like to have that ability at OVH too.

5. I will never resell hosting and so, don't need a 10 pack cpanel license or anything like that (which is what I see when I go to order a VPS). I would like a CPanel or some such easy to use management interface to manage my domain and perhaps, one or two subdomains, but, that's about it.

6. I have a dedicated server at OVH and so, am fairly familiar with the OVH Manager and its options.

Based on all of this, what are the pros and cons of getting a basic web hosting package vs. a classic VPS? If I picked the VPS, which OS would you recommend (I have used Ubuntu a fair amount, but, don't know if the OVH Release 3 or any other flavors have advantages).

If I do go with a VPS, is there still a CPanel-like interface that I can use to install Wordpress/Drupal and create MySQL databases?

Thanks in anticipation!
-MediocreFred.